Reaction score
Trophy No.
Harry do you mean the whole of the adjuster assembly sinks into the reservoir?

This is the first positive indicator of failure We've had, brilliant

Reaction score
The red adjuster is attached to the inner part of the remote reservoir which, in turn, is bolted to the horizontal bracket holding it to the main damper tube.

The grey outer sleeve/tube of the remote reservoir moves up and down, according to the amount of gas pressure inside. It doesn't look as if it should move but it does.

The valve for adding the gas is at the bottom of this remote reservoir so if the pressure is increased the whole reservoir is forced down. When the pressure is reduced the remote reservoir moves upwards. When the pressure drops to zero, the remote reservoir comes to rest against the horizontal bracket holding it to the main damper.

This means it's a very easy visual check to see if your damper has lost its gas pressure, once you know what to look for. Basically, if the outer sleeve is resting against the horizontal bracket it's time for a rebuild.

Hope this makes a little more sense.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'll post some pics up of mine tomorrow which should help visualise this, before they go off to Ben @ BG.

Hazza, Just reading about your lads exploits as we speak, good idea these days - i learned around the same age, on black rock sands in north wales (not sure they allow cars on there now) it really prepares you for the car control element of driving (the most critical part).

PS posting pics is easy - right at the bottom of this thread, under where you click submit, is a tab (in grey) to upload an attachment, next to the one saying Options. Click that tab and upload the file, add a comment if you wish to the pic. It's that easy.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
The red adjuster is attached to the inner part of the remote reservoir which, in turn, is bolted to the horizontal bracket holding it to the main damper tube.

The grey outer sleeve/tube of the remote reservoir moves up and down, according to the amount of gas pressure inside. It doesn't look as if it should move but it does.

The valve for adding the gas is at the bottom of this remote reservoir so if the pressure is increased the whole reservoir is forced down. When the pressure is reduced the remote reservoir moves upwards. When the pressure drops to zero, the remote reservoir comes to rest against the horizontal bracket holding it to the main damper.

This means it's a very easy visual check to see if your damper has lost its gas pressure, once you know what to look for. Basically, if the outer sleeve is resting against the horizontal bracket it's time for a rebuild.

Hope this makes a little more sense.

That makes perfect sense, thanks for letting us know.

I cant believe there was actually an indication of the gas pressure and no one on here was aware of it until now.
You would have thought someone would have been informed of this somewhere along the line.

Cheers.
Ben.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Imformation is power and all that, I am suprised as well but we wouldn't need doctors if we could all self diagnose.

Anyway cue what we need is a measurement of the position of the reservoir relative to the cross member when its full and wher it can drop to.

Reaction score
[attachment=1:15aksp7w]TD1.jpg[/attachment:15aksp7w]

Reckon it will be easy to spot a true Trophy fan, as they will be the ones showing particular interest in the inside their front wheel arches today.

Attachments

• TD1.jpg
    TD1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 277
  • TD2.jpg
    TD2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 273
Reaction score
I'm OK with the concept of sending them of for a rebuild.

But if you give your car to a garage to remove and replace how is your car left with no dampers while they are sent away?

Left on axle stands at the side?
Put on some old 182 Dampers?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Oh that's easy, I knew there was a reason a stopped drinking, I just couldn't get my head around this last night :?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
So as hoolio said its now clear the dampers will lose pressure over time and cause the problems which alot of us have had over the past year or so, regardless of milage. notice how I read your post :wink:

So were talking 3-4 years for the gas to lose pressure, oh will at lease we can keep an eye on it now.

Reaction score
Got my shocks back on the car today, i can't believe how different it is, very happy trophy owner again.

Reaction score
Very good information there, thanks for that.

I've just been out to mine but I can't get an angle to look at them with the wheels on, look like I've got a job for tomorrow.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Got my shocks back on the car today, i can't believe how different it is, very happy trophy owner again.

:D I was suprised by the difference when I got mine done. Good times ! :D

Reaction score
To check the 'gap' without taking the wheels off, you can just jack the front up. It creates enough space to place a camera under the arch to take some photos. Luckily I have the gap. Does that mean they are 100% OK?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
To check the 'gap' without taking the wheels off, you can just jack the front up. It creates enough space to place a camera under the arch to take some photos. Luckily I have the gap. Does that mean they are 100% OK?

I would say the way to tell if there 100% ok is to measure the gap of a set that have just been refurbished and compare the difference between them and yours. If you would like I can measure the gap on mine as I had them done a couple of months ago, but Gman has 'just' had his done so his may be a more accurate measurement?

How long to BG motorsport take to refurb them ? And if I take the car to them will the remove, refurb and then refit ?

When I sent my damper off for refurb I recieved the dampers back 4 days later I think. Ben sent me an e mail saying he recieved the dampers at about 5PM, he serviced them and sent them off the next day. They will remove and refit them if you want too, at an extra cost.

Reaction score
Just went out to check mine. Didn't jack up the car or anything, just stuck my hand around the top of the wheel to feel the damper. I can feel a gap of around 5mm between the top of the cylinder and the bracket holding the cylinder. Its the same on each side even though the near side is new. :D

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Looks like my spare set are fecked

Attachments

• IMG00007-20090314-2035.jpg
    IMG00007-20090314-2035.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 80
Reaction score
Well i've just been out for a nice little spirited drive on the new shocks, I can't not begin to describe how much better they are, i think mine must of got bad over a long period and i've just got use to it (apart from recently when the car really began to wonder)

As BenG has said mine have only been on since yesterday and have only covered about 25 miles so i will take some photos and measure the gap tomorrow and post up in this thread.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ok, mine don't seems to have lost gas, but there's definitely oil seeping from the bottom of what was my n/s damper...[attachment=5:1do0jmch]IMG_0030.jpg[/attachment:1do0jmch]

[attachment=4:1do0jmch]IMG_0031.jpg[/attachment:1do0jmch]

[attachment=3:1do0jmch]IMG_0032.jpg[/attachment:1do0jmch]

[attachment=2:1do0jmch]IMG_0033.jpg[/attachment:1do0jmch]

[attachment=1:1do0jmch]IMG_0034.jpg[/attachment:1do0jmch]

[attachment=0:1do0jmch]IMG_0035.jpg[/attachment:1do0jmch]

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 53