Reaction score
Nice!!! Thanks for the pics too :)

Sure you got enough jacks holding up the car? ;)

O.

Reaction score
That looks good.

be careful with that horn, you'll give pensioners a heart attack when they hear it!

you should make a video clip of you driving it so we can all hear the difference

Reaction score
7MAT said:
I’ve also had it confirmed and George K is correct the job of the valve is to reduce noise levels.

Sorry mate just noticed this... who was it that mentioned it to you? If it was Renault then we should all start to remove the blasted things!!! Group Buy? More like Group Removal...

:)

O.

Reaction score
Good job 7MAT...

I think we are all watching this with growing interest.

Now to just copy it all :mrgreen:

Why not connect the modified feed to the filter box? is this so you dont over / force feed it
Just kind of float air in its general direction?

How much is the hill power bend

Cheers.

Reaction score
I had a go at removing this valve today with mixed results... mainly because I did not have the right tools!

So what I did instead was disconnect the electrical connection on the valve piece while it was in the open position (which it is at idle). I hope this does not affect anything else..

What I also noticed was that there are two pipes running to the valve which connect to the engine. This can be seen in the photos above with the Hill power pipe. If you look to the left of the pipe you will see a thin rubber tube leading directly into the engine (to the right of the right most cylinder). It seems that this potentially affects the opening and closing of the valve.

It would be really great to get an engineer's take on this valve and how it opens/closes. If for noise retrictions it is operated then I would be expecting it to be closed at idle but in fact it seems to be open...

O.

Reaction score
oliie said:
7MAT said:
I’ve also had it confirmed and George K is correct the job of the valve is to reduce noise levels.

Sorry mate just noticed this... who was it that mentioned it to you? If it was Renault then we should all start to remove the blasted things!!! Group Buy? More like Group Removal...

:)

O.

Just the general views of peoples threads I found over at cliosport.net when I did a search.

I’ve also posted the question with the panel of experts over at renaultsport.co.uk – just waiting for an answer.

Interestingly I read that the MKI 172 never had the valve.

I find it a little strange that none of the tuners who frequent this forum have butted in with there comments on this?

Reaction score
TrophyDan said:
Good job 7MAT...

I think we are all watching this with growing interest.

Now to just copy it all :mrgreen:

Why not connect the modified feed to the filter box? is this so you dont over / force feed it
Just kind of float air in its general direction?

How much is the hill power bend

Cheers.

I did think about this (and might even try it when its on the rolling road when I get the ECU re-mapped) but I think it is best to allow the airbox to take as much cool air as it needs without forcing it.

The Hill Power bend costs me £53 delivered and to be honest I purchased it for looks. It is nicely made if a little flimsy (which does make it easier to fit) and it does not pinch in 10mm like the original so should help.

Reaction score
I had a good look at the induction system last night after giving the car a thorough clean (found out they hadn't Permagarded under the bonnet!) and was a bit concerned as to how squashed the main cold air feed to the air box looked. It's really squeezed in behind the headlight and can't have a very good CSA or provide laminar air flow with the shape it is. I think replacing the induction system with a good quality, well researched closed IK is definitely on the cards - probably with a re-map at the same time to avoid a drop in torque at low revs. etc. etc.

If you guys find some real improvements after RR'ing the modifications, I suggest moving the thread (or a more refined version) to the 'How To Guides' and it will probably became a compulsory mod!

Reaction score
Just been speaking with Ben from Angel-works as I'm considering getting some modified inlet manifolds;

Anyway I mentioned the acoustic valve to him and he commented that he's not really sure why Renault fit them & he has not been able to confirm the torque theory but in his opinion it’s a pretty useless bit of kit.

I got a similar response from Mark Fish when I asked him about the valve a couple of months back.

Reaction score
Excellent postings 7MAT, cheers again for your help on Saturday woth removing my Acoustic valve, I have ordered my new cold air feed and plan to duct as much air as possible (possibly thru the fog light too!) :twisted:

Reaction score
drexel said:
thats why hes got a fog horn :D

Very good :lol:

To be honest I just don't like using fog lights and have not found them any good when I have in the past. Although I guess other cars can see you better with them on.

Reaction score
Fog lights are perfectly useless in fog, only good for lighting up the road a bit better when driving on an empty road at night. And he's still got the one on the drivers side. (Unless he's uses that for a bit of brake cooling!)

If I go for this mod, I will be putting the cold air feed where the small hole is in the bottom grille to the left of the fog, I will make it a bigger hole by cutting the plastic out from the grid and backing it with black mesh so it will hardly notice, I think the Viper's cold air feed goes to here, but is a hideous fluorescent pink drainpipe (not for the Trophy).

Reaction score
This has all been really useful - thanks everyone.

Being naturally inquisitive, has anyone tried putting a light into the circuit to see when the valve is activated? I suppose a vacuum gauge would give similar information.

Any ideas on how also to feed cooler air to the upper inlet pipe into the air box?

Has anyone any more thoughts on the alleged loss of torque with some IK's?

Reaction score
George K said:
This has all been really useful - thanks everyone.

Being naturally inquisitive, has anyone tried putting a light into the circuit to see when the valve is activated? I suppose a vacuum gauge would give similar information.

Any ideas on how also to feed cooler air to the upper inlet pipe into the air box?

Has anyone any more thoughts on the alleged loss of torque with some IK's?

Er...George, won't your mate Ben know all this? I think it's time to get him on this thread don't you? Or are you trying not to wear him out?!

Seriously though, I'm dying to know the exact reasoning behind the acoustic valve and finding out how more air can ever produce less torque.. Could it possibly be due to creating a lean mix?

Reaction score
Matt - where did you buy the venair pipe from?

I have now acquired mesh (thanks to B&Q) and removed fog light. Just need the new pipe now which I intend to seal to both holes on the airbox...

Will post pics once I've got everything completed :)

O.