BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I still get the added surge of power above 5k and it still pulls the same above 5k its just the 'kick' is smoothed out .

Reaction score
marrow said:
BenG said:
Marrow - Yes im still getting some resonance, mainly at 3 - 4K revs, if I drive with both windows down its really loud. Im fairly certain this is due to the decat.

Thanks Ben.

Is anyone running the Scorpion with a cat? If so, does it resonate?

It doesn't resonate as such. The noise increase is most noticeable at idle - there's a deep throb at idle and at lower revs. But it doesn't drone in the cabin. I find at steady cruising speeds around town (60km/h, 80km/h) the interior noise levels sound the same as the stock system :D the exhaust system change isn't noticeable at those speeds. I haven't had it at 100km/h for very long, but it appeared much the same.

Of course if you use the accelerator the noise level increases but it's never loud inside and you don't ever get the dreaded cabin resonance that I've had with previous systems on other vehicles.

Reaction score
Are the tailpipes on your exhaust slash cut? I have seen the pic from Jonc fitment guide but i cant really tell?

Reaction score
Yesterday i fitted the scorpion to my car but i cant get the clamp to seal on the centre silencer and cat. Did anyone do anything different here?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Did you use the original clamp ? I got a new clamp and it sealed up pretty well, It was dripping a small amount of water so I ended up using a small amount of fire gum which stopped it.

Reaction score
I sorted it now, just got a new uber clamp, the old one wasnt pulling it together enough. I put a small amount of firegum round it as well.Im going for a drive now .......

Reaction score
out of intrest what clamp did u get sam? i took mine to selecta tyre the other day just to get more sealant on it as it drips water a tiny bit but the leak no matter how small effects the performance as i can tell when putting my foot down, the guy said its just small leak and just have to live with it but im determined to get it sealed properly.

sorry for hijacking the post, i think the scorpion 192 was the best choice and im seriously tempted by it and its my birthday in a couple of months :D

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
The clamp I used was of the same design of the standard one, it comes in 2 half round pieces that clamp together. I got it from Kwik Fit, I just asked the guy and he give me one for free.

Like this...

clamp.jpg

I did try a different type of clamp which was totally crap and I wouldnt recommend using it. It never sealed properly no matter what I did.

Like this...

clamp2.jpg

Im not sure on the size sorry.

CMR

Reaction score
Getting my RS192 fitted shortly as the standard exhaust is leaking from the cat to exhaust join, I presume the clamp has given up ghost so I'l def need a new one! I just hope the leak isnt a hole on the cat flange :(

Ive got some mikalor intercooler clamps somewhere from my old car, they might do the trick actually

Reaction score
I used the clamp in BenG's first picture and it held it nice a tight. I got fom a kwik fit, he just gave it to me as well :)

The clamp that was on the car (which i tried to use first but didnt work) is exactly the same as the second pic, nightmare to get off as well!

Sorry i didnt make a note of the size but it just looked like it would fit. What i would say to anyone who is putting this on is that it is a hell of a lot easier if you have another person offering up the centre silencer whilst trying to clamp it to the cat as it moves out of place very easy, i just ran a small bead of fire gum round it whilst the other person also put pressure on it pushing towards the cat.

Anyway the exhaust! Its actually very very quiet when driving normal! obviously when giving it the beans past 4k it sounds great, idle is also a little louder but makes it sound a bit more meatier :twisted: Im thinking i may even be able to put up with more noise!....ahem Decat!...

Reaction score
Sorry to interrupt the thread, but the join on my cat is poor too (Still on OEM exhaust) & might take a trip to my tyre/exhaust gent this arvo to try for one of those clamps to help rectify it. So thank you for sharing peeps :wink:

Reaction score
My guy didn't have of the any horse shoe looking clamps, so undid my existing clamp, held the cat & cat-back pipe higher & re-tightened the clamp. It's definitely raised the cat. My middle hanger looked like it had seen better days so I'll get this changed once my axle stands come through.

Tractor - Is the clamp you got from Renault the horse shoe type clamp or jubilee looking clamp?

Reaction score
It's the horseshoe clamp, it has two 8mm bolts + nuts and you can give it some real welly. It clamps the cat and rear section a treat. I had the same problem with the exhaust hanging low and stressing the joints. A new conical cat sealing kit and this £6 clamp from reno fixed it!

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Right then.

I have fitted the Cat back on to the system now for the MOT. I can no longer hear anything but a wisper from the exhaust, looking back it sounds standard again (but slightly better), it certainly isn't much louder than standard.
Now, there is no noticable difference in performance at 5K and the 'kick' has not come back however I have had a remap since then which smoothed it out anyways. Strangely the car feels like it is pulling slightly harder from lower down ?

Even so, it is slightly dull putting your foot down and no longer hearing the exhaust bark. So the decat WILL be going back on after MOT.

Really 'very 'suprised how much of a noise difference a decat can make !