Reaction score
Jeremy said:
King Stromba said:
I suspect when Renault have sold the last of the trophys evo will stop going on about it. I wonder why? :roll:

I'll bet that they don't

Lets face it the Trophy hasnt sold THAT well. Lets be honest, they werent snapped up and most were discounted by a fair few thousand pounds. After a monumental marketing campaign and lots of brown envelopes the cars are still in dealers. Not good. Even with Evo trying their best for Renault, it still hasnt sold that well.

As for performance, i am suspeicious of any car that cant beat an Astra VXR round a track, especially when one review claimed it could beat a F430 :roll:

Reaction score
I don't think that you read my post. You said that you bet that Evo will stop going on about the Trophy once they're all sold. I said that I bet that they don't.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
King Stromba said:
After a monumental marketing campaign and lots of brown envelopes

I'd be careful making these allogations of Renault giving backhanders to magazines on a public forum Rob. Unless you have proof of course.

Reaction score
The suggestion of backhanders is completely ridiculous and lacks any logic. The Clio Trophy is highly praised whereas other Renaults aren't. If backhanders were involved, why don't all Renaults receive such praise ?

Reaction score
Nik said:
King Stromba said:
After a monumental marketing campaign and lots of brown envelopes

I'd be careful making these allogations of Renault giving backhanders to magazines on a public forum Rob. Unless you have proof of course.

Hey if reno want to deny they put journalist up in hotels for free and buy them dinner, im waiting for that denial now. Until then ill assume that what ive read in articles about renault is true.

Reaction score
As with all manufacturers press launches, Renault pay for journalists flights for a launch in another country and hotel accomodation and food. But I think that what you're suggesting is something more than that ?

Reaction score
Jeremy said:
The suggestion of backhanders is completely ridiculous and lacks any logic. The Clio Trophy is highly praised whereas other Renaults aren't. If backhanders were involved, why don't all Renaults receive such praise ?

Whos idea was it to paint it red? :p

Reaction score
Jeremy said:
As with all manufacturers press launches, Renault pay for journalists flights for a launch in another country and hotel accomodation and food. But I think that what you're suggesting is something more than that ?

Evo couldnt lose any more credibility if they compared a hatch back car to the space shuttle.

Its becomeing embarrassing to read now. It so obvious they have hidden adjendas.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
King Stromba said:
Hey if reno want to deny they put journalist up in hotels for free and buy them dinner, im waiting for that denial now. Until then ill assume that what ive read in articles about renault is true.

Nothing unusual about that, i expect they get the same from all manufacturers.

What are these 'articles' you've read about Renault?

Day

Reaction score
Even the moderators on this site are paid by Renault.

Could you use a smaller envelope next time Jeremy, the postman had to leave it out in the rain last time as it wouldn't go through the letter box.

Had some trouble convincing Lloyds TSB that the cheques were genuine.

Many thanks

Reaction score
All car makers pay for journos to jet off around the world to product launches and get wined and dined etc - why should Renault be any different?

As an aside - have you noticed how when some cars are reviewed at launch they get great write-ups but then when they get back to these shores the journo feels slightly let down by them? That'll be because the car was launched where the roads best suit it - you've designed a car with class leading ride? - launch it where the roads are rougher than usual. Great turn in and communicative steering? - some winding mountain roads will do the trick here then! Can't blame the manufacturers for that!

Reaction score
You have obviously brought Evo, why bother buying it if all the reviews are built up on backhanders. Would make it a pointless read.

:mrgreen:

Reaction score
fazedesign said:
All car makers pay for journos to jet off around the world to product launches and get wined and dined etc - why should Renault be any different?

As an aside - have you noticed how when some cars are reviewed at launch they get great write-ups but then when they get back to these shores the journo feels slightly let down by them? That'll be because the car was launched where the roads best suit it - you've designed a car with class leading ride? - launch it where the roads are rougher than usual. Great turn in and communicative steering? - some winding mountain roads will do the trick here then! Can't blame the manufacturers for that!

Ah a sensible post at last, totally agree.

Reaction score
King Stromba said:
Jeremy said:

Evo couldnt lose any more credibility if they compared a hatch back car to the space shuttle.

Its becomeing embarrassing to read now. It so obvious they have hidden adjendas.

You often harp on about the Willy being in the top ten cars.... so that must be bollocks as well then surely? Or did Renault pay Evo to get a 10 year old relic in there too? :roll:

Your far too easy to see through. Some of your wind-ups used to be subtle and even bordering on witty.... your losing your touch. :wink:

Or is it the case that you spew this garbage out so much your actually starting to believe it?