Reaction score
Nik, if your going to keep the car for ever follow some wise advice and do the following:

Change the coolant every year without fail, full flush.
Get the underside properly sealed with a polyerethane paint
Go round the bolts and put a dab of zinc paint on them.

Reaction score
Whats the point in stupid comments? I was offering some reasonable advice. Grow up.

In 5 years time when you take it in to get the alternator removed and the alternator costs you 90 quid, but the labour for removing it costs 100 quid because they couldnt undo one of the crappy rusted reno bolts, you may thank me for the advice.

Reaction score
What you mean the competition spec speedline alloys as used by the daic 1.8 rally cars to win on their debut in the French rally championship against 4wd cars? Fitted to a cup race car front track?

Have a nice day :p

How much do the trophy wheels weigh again? :p

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
LOL, come on guys that was actually some good advice. ^^ You've started him off again now :lol:

Reaction score
i thought my cup might hold its money better than a normal 172 but ..... nope
It may be slightly better but i doubt it will be much.
Just use it for fun. I was all gentle with mine and kept it showroom clean for over a year untill i found i had already lost so much ££ on it, i couldnt give a sh1t now. It looks like a real shed at the mo :(
The hondas loose truck loaads of cash too stromba.

Reaction score
Who cares about depreciation;we bought this car because it handles better that any other current FWD hatch and makes you smile when you see a corner. To quote CAR ' The clio is still the best hot hatch you can buy and still the most rewarding cars regardless of price you can hope to drive.
If you are worried about depreciation you should have put the money in an ISA and got the bus.

Reaction score
I agree, just drive and have fun.

You want to talk about depreciation? I bought a 2005 Exige last March and sold it after 8 months. I took such a beating I'm still sore! but I could not live with it anymore, and the Clio was so much cheaper...I'm having just as much fun and was able to pocket some cash. (Which alleviated some of the pain.)

(I know, if I had a financial advisor they would kill me...)

However, I think the Trophy will hold value. Why? Because it has intrinsic value and excellent press. I would suggest to anyone serious about holding long term to take good care of the car (obviously) but also to keep the Evo, CAR, and any other press on the car. What may happen is the car will depreciate as any other modern Renault, then stabilize, then ease upward. This is what has happened to 205 GTIs (1.9 in particular), and Williams cars. As with those cars, it is unlikely that the Trophy will ever go above current asking prices, even adjusted for inflation, but may near these.

Just my 2 pence.

-robert

Reaction score
Im sorry, but williams prices are now rock bottom. They have only ever gone down. Only the very best low mileage examples get close to the original price of 15k.

It will be 10 more years until williams prices go up, and by then all the shit cars will have rotted away.

Reaction score
Its hardly an investment having a Williams and not hardly using it your better off putting your money in the bank, you would get a better return and alot less hassle. I mean changing nuts and bolts i've got better things to do with my time.

Check out Evo and the excellent write up on the Trophy once again. In the mag there is an article on the Enzo and McLaren there the type of cars to invest in to make money.

Reaction score
OK, most of us paid around the 13K for our Trophys and in 3 years with 30K and in good condition you will get 6/7k on a bad day. Say 6k over 3 years for a car that finished 3rd overall in EVO car of the year and has had the best press reports of any performance car in the last 12 mths. That is peanuts for the quality of the drive. Buy anything with Trophy handling above the 20K and watch your 6 k disappear in less than 12 mths. My mate new Elise 111R with 3500 miles has just done that. £30 k to 24K in less than 12 mths!!

Reaction score
Tomx said:
Its hardly an investment having a Williams and not hardly using it your better off putting your money in the bank, you would get a better return and alot less hassle. I mean changing nuts and bolts i've got better things to do with my time.

Check out Evo and the excellent write up on the Trophy once again. In the mag there is an article on the Enzo and McLaren there the type of cars to invest in to make money.

Well done, im sure you have a much better life than mine :roll:

Reaction score
stephenhunter said:
OK, most of us paid around the 13K for our Trophys and in 3 years with 30K and in good condition you will get 6/7k on a bad day. Say 6k over 3 years for a car that finished 3rd overall in EVO car of the year and has had the best press reports of any performance car in the last 12 mths. That is peanuts for the quality of the drive. Buy anything with Trophy handling above the 20K and watch your 6 k disappear in less than 12 mths. My mate new Elise 111R with 3500 miles has just done that. £30 k to 24K in less than 12 mths!!
Exactly my thoughts on the Trophy. Even with worst-case scenario depreciation (say 50% in 3 yrs) you are only looking at just over £2k per year - well worth it I reckon.

Reaction score
PLEASE WILL YOU ALL JUST STOP GOING ON ABOUT PAYING £13.5 K FOR YOUR TROPHY I PAID £15250 WITH NO PART EX AND THOUGHT I HAD A RESULT!

WHAT A PLONKER :cry:

SO I'LL LOSE MORE THAN MOST......

OH WELL ITS A GOOD JOB I'M IN FOR THE LONG HAUL..... :D

Reaction score
Dont be hard on yourself carnut, weve all paid over the odds for a car before. Anyone who hasnt is either lying or was lucky.