Reaction score
most of you prolly know me and that I have a Williams... well it's pissing me off quite honestly. Fun and great as it is there are certain reliaility issues that will just not go away and I'm about to sink (see 'waste') yet more money into it to get it running for however long... I'm thinking of saving myself the hassle and posibly getting a Trophy. There's one at the Stockport dealer near me which i'm going to look at this weekend, but is advertised at £12'995 and has almost 5k on it. I'm seriously tempted, as the Trophy and the Cup are the only MK2's I like the look of. Is this a good price and what sort of things should I look out for?

I think this could be a good move as things like bottom ends going from oil pump failure etc are wearing thin on my patience now... lol

Oh and hello, love the layout! 8)

Reaction score
Honestly Jon???

Couldn't agree more if your thinking of a Mk2 it's either the 172Cup or Trophy....£12,995 seems a bit steep but if there all gone from the Reno dealers your gonna have to pay it.....Reno dealers were letting them go for £13k with delivery mileage in the end so technically u should get a 2nd hand one with 5k on a bit cheaper (£11k) but as above may have to be the price u pay if there all gone.

Trophy is the way to go but be warier on all these car jackings happening..... :x

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Welcome to the forum Jon :) Cheers for the comments.

As Gaz said you'll not have much bargaining power on the price with so few left, but I expect you'd be able to get it down a bit maybe 12k.

I don't think you'd regret buying it, I'm still grinning from the drive to work this morning :mrgreen: :D

Reaction score
Gaz, yes fraid so pal, i'm going to go test drive it this weekend and if i really like it who knows... I may be one of the 500 Trophy owners... looking at the finance and I'd probably keep the Williams as well but not use it (kinda like you Gaz ;) lol) and take it off the road to take it to bits and rebuild it from the shell replacing anythnig worn/damaged, as it's not really worth selling it the amount I have spent... can declare it off the road, have a fast fun daily drive and bring the Willy out for the special occasions and trackdays.

Cheers for the welcome Nik, think your right about the price, they seem to hold at the moment due to being inbetween the MK2 and MK3 Clio's and being rare also helps a lot! I don't usually like red cars, but there's something the Trophy has which I can't place, but really makes the car. Could be the red/black combo on the wheels, looks really racey.

What's the crack with these dampers though, they wont give me any jip will they... someone said £800 a corner... dunno if this is right, but oil res dampers aint usually cheap... for example they cost £4'500 a corner on the Z-Tune R34 Nissan Skyline.

Reaction score
Don't worry about the dampers son.....3 years warranty.... 8) ...with the option to increase to 5.... :wink: ....warranty is where it's at..... :lol:

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yep thats the idea!

Cane the car round a track for 2½ years, then get all the important bits fixed under warranty before it runs out :p

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Not sure on the replacement cost of the dampers exactly, must look the part numbers up and get a price for them.

Reaction score
hehe, yeah very true Gaz, been that long since I had a car with warranty it's hard to remember what they class as wear and tear... Ford said that my 1 year old Zetec-S leccy window stopped opening because of wear and tear... yeah, 16k and the window runs out... lol

tbh Reno seem better on claims from most people's stories, it's almost as if they expect it... lol.

don't worry Nik, if I get one it will certainly get 'driven'. Would be nice to be able to take a Trophy and a Willy to a track and just change car when I get bored... or more realistically the Willy breaks down and falls to bits... hehe

oh, off topic, but did you have any vids of you going round Donny Nik??

Reaction score
£12,995 does seem a bit on the steep side, but I guess as there are so few left dealers may be pricing high knowing that they are harder to get hold of now. Cheapest one I know about at the moment is £12,394 with 5k on the clock, so hopefully you should be able to blag a few hundred off the asking price.

Dampers are apparently £500 each, but this is not a Reno quote, just word of mouth.

Good luck, hope you enjoy the test drive :D

Reaction score
downloading now... :D

well for the price if I'm dead set on getting one I'll try and blag it for high 11's, failing that an extra year or two warranty, as I have seen that Cup in there for a while now... thing is I have used the Stockport Reno before for parts and if that dept is anything to go by then they are a bunch of nobs... although i'll love them if they get me my gearbox mounts for tomorrow... hehe

Reaction score
I was happy to pay 13k for mine with similar mileage.

Once everyone reads the 'Evo Car of the Year' feature you'll be lucky to find one... I just took whatever I could and tried to get as many free accessories thrown in as possible.... oh and get a great part exchange on my 330ci ;)

Go for it before it's gone and you regret it! I know I would...

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
yeah it's very very tempting... if I can get the car for high 11's i'll deffo have one, otherwise i'll just have to mull it over, but obviously if I can do what you did and just get them to load it up with extra's then so be it, that will do nicely.

do they have aircon by the way? (probably asked a million times I know... :oops: ) not fussed if they have zenons or not, my current car uses low output ASDA candles to light the way... maybe I should clean the headlights... or even the car? lol

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
TheJesus said:
do they have aircon by the way? (probably asked a million times I know... :oops: ) not fussed if they have zenons or not, my current car uses low output ASDA candles to light the way... maybe I should clean the headlights... or even the car? lol

Yep, they have the standard Air Con. Not Climate like in the full fat 172/182, just standard heater dials with an aircon button. I actually prefer it to the climate control i had on my 172.

No Xenons. Xenons are nice, but the standard lights do the job just fine, and some uprated bulbs can boost them a bit if you like. Again dont really miss them from the 172.

Reaction score
aaah.... aircon... how i miss it!

not fussed about climate, I actually prefer the manual aircon anyway.

again, not bothered about zenons or however it's spelt, again, as long as I can see in the dark that's fine. they cant possibly be as bad as the Williams headlights anyway... I was considering using the battery powered torch I got in last years Xmas cracker...

like the sound of cruise control... not so keen on 'speed limiter' though... lol

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I actually use the speed limiter but rarely use the cruise control mode. On the roads in this country and with the levels of traffic, i'm not comfortable taking my feet off the pedals completely, always feel like i need to hover over the brake.

The speed limiter mode I find is better. Set the speed you want to cruise at, and put your foot flat to the floor. With the fly by wire throttle the pedal is so light that it's just as much a rest for your foot as not having it on the pedal. This way you can still lift of or brake quickly should you need to.