Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks Marc, that is very good news. That email from BG kinda hints that the situation was more serious than we thought. Hopefully that covers spare parts as well as service parts.

well done.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Does anyone know of anyone or a business (other than BG Motorsport) that can remove the gas/oil that is inside?

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
So I have spoken at mega length with BG today.

Sachs ZF have agreed to supply all genuine Sachs ZF Parts to BG for service items only.
Servicing is much much more than just some rubber seals and oil which I found out today.
Sachs have also agreed to supply BG with shafts also which is another good sign.

The only thing you cant get is the unit itself with the spring cup as they are NLA from Sachs and have been for some time.

I was given a lot more info and details but it would take me a week to go over it all and go through it again.

Whats good is that BG are still able to fully service the front Sachs dampers for the foreseeable future.

I have been told that they are waiting on some service items to arrive from Germany and this would take around 2/3 weeks.

BG have also stressed that dampers that have been refurbished should be used as sitting wrapped up on a shelf or on a car that's not moved in 3 years will need serviced quicker than ones that are being used due to the seals drying out.
When the car is being used the oil lubricates the seals and keeps the dampers working correctly.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Good to know Marc and thanks for the info. I always thought that the spare set I have would need servicing before fitting to the car, due to being inactive for long periods, I doubt even cycling them frequently would keep them in top condition. For that you need to remove the adjusting pin and set the compression down to minimum before you could even move them manually as they’re that hard. Anyways, good news all around and happy motoring for the foreseeable.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
If I could write everything down I would but 47mins of a phone conversation with a lot of info being discussed.

Ohlins would also 100% NOT have anything for any Clio MK2 and would not produce or manufacture anything so if and when Sachs and BG Stop it would be a case of fitting something along the lines of ASTs or Bilstein B14s

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
BG have also stressed that dampers that have been refurbished should be used as sitting wrapped up on a shelf or on a car that's not moved in 3 years will need serviced quicker than ones that are being used due to the seals drying out.
When the car is being used the oil lubricates the seals and keeps the dampers working correctly.

Thanks again for your efforts today Marc, great to hear that BG still have their parts access.

Just a note on your last point - quoted above. BG told me exactly the same a couple of years ago; that storing the dampers, even new unused units, was a tricky thing to do. They said the best place for them was on the car and to hold off refurbishing/servicing my spare units until they were to be fitted. It also presents something for folks to consider when purchasing them too, to factor in that if they've been sat in someone's garage / office drawer / under the bed, they're more than likely going to need a good service/looking at before being used in anger as it were.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Sachs . . . . . .

Does anyone have a good clean image of the silver genuine rear Sachs dampers from factory that they could PM me ?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Regarding lack of use, how's this affecting any thoughts on removing the sachs for winter?

I'd planned to do that as while I limit my use in winter, salty roads are ultimately unavoidable up here sooner or later.

That being said, the implication here is that if you were to store the car off road for the winter that presents its own problems with lack of use...

sj2112

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Regarding lack of use, how's this affecting any thoughts on removing the sachs for winter?

I'd planned to do that as while I limit my use in winter, salty roads are ultimately unavoidable up here sooner or later.

That being said, the implication here is that if you were to store the car off road for the winter that presents its own problems with lack of use...
Can't you just spray them to death with acf50?