Reaction score
Trophy No.
Looks like I'll be needing these done in the nearish future, garage says the front right is very slightly damp.

That along with about £1500 to spend on the bloody Boxster in the next 3 months. Aaarggghhh.

Reaction score
So, having trawled through this thread I'm still almost none the wiser as to what I should do? My dampers definitely need a refurb.
Do I use BG, Cornering Force or Rik?
Do I go for the compression adjuster upgrade & if so can all the above do this?
What is de-pinning? Should I do it?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Do people even use Cornering force anymore? What do you mainly use the car for? My thoughts as regards BG are known in that I regard them as overpriced. Rik is offering pretty much the same service as BG with some very nice little touches for a great deal less than BG and the only minus being that he is not an "official" supplier, not worth taking into consideration. What's to think about? :)

Last edited:

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Andy, 'depinning' is simply the removal of a pin that locks the compression adjuster on top of the reservoir and prevents the dampers from being adjusted, Renault set them at factory and locked them in place. If you want to have the ability to adjust them yourself you need to remove the locking pin first, or have them 'depinned' by someone else. All of the above can carry out the task. If your happy to leave them set as they are then you're better off leaving them alone as removing the pin will leave a hole through the dial where the pin was, the adjuster is then susceptible to water and dirt ingress unless you seal it properly afterwards.

In regards to who to carry out the service, I had my dampers serviced by BG a few years ago and they've been faultless ever since. I don't have any complaints other than it was rather expensive for what's involved, I don't mind paying for quality parts and service but £650 for a basic service is a bit over the top.
This year I asked Rik to carry out the service, not just because of cost, but because of his passion for the Trophy, his quality of workmanship, all the advice and knowledge he's shared and the little touches he adds to a service that make it just that bit more special. Personally, I wouldn't take them anywhere else.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I wouldn't consider anyone but Rik. From what everyone else says BG do a good job, but charge way too much because they are "official" and put you a nice new sticker on. Rik also does a good job, no actually a great job, and is very helpful and accommodating with it. The major benefit though is that Rik charges a reasonable price for the work and uses the best materials available. If you are wanting to keep the OEM look with a nice sticker, that can be accommodated as well (for a small extra fee). As hoolio said earlier. What's to think about?

Reaction score
hoolio, BenG, DaveS, SharkyUK - Many thanks for your responses. I'll get in touch with Rik.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have had mine refurbed twice by BG but following feedback and service other users have had from Rik he will now be my first point of call providing he continues as he is.

When I last sent them off to BG I had absolutely no update for days and no idea what Ben was talking about when we spoke. I just paid the price and had them back a few weeks later and only understood the work carried out by reading the invoice.

Reaction score
I recommend dullinger.co.at
He did. my dampers. 60.000 faultless miles since 2013. This guy builds the Suspension for BMW M Racing Cars and superbikes.
I paid 450€.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi Gang..
I am humbled by the kind feedback from you all that have had work done and plan to have work done by me in the future..
The only point I would like to add is that this isn't my full time work and I have been quite overwhelmed by the amount of work that has landed in my workshop.. I do not want to disappoint anyone but can also only cope with so many sets at a time .. So at the moment I do have a waiting list running and if you are planning work it would help manage the expectations of customers if you can give me as much notice as you can.. I had said in my own thread Spring is when every owner seems to " wake up " and get work done but the reality of it is the work needs to be spread out during the year to prevent disappointment... At the moment we are looking at a 6-8 week waiting list so do try to factor that in to your plans...

Cheers

Rik

Reaction score
Hi guys,

as a solution to the problem of the hole in the adjusters after depinning, I can supply you with a pair of 3D printed adjuster caps.

There is a thread titled "Solution to Sachs Adjuster Cap problem (hole from unpinning)"

Short form: They do the job perfectly, can be painted and have a bigger M4 thread what avoids breaking allens.

Neuer%20Ordner

Feel free to send me a message

Best Regards

Sven

Last edited:
Reactions: MC1
Reaction score
I finally have been able to upload an image..

IMG_20180424_215309.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180424_215309.jpg
    IMG_20180424_215309.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
As mentioned by Jon, the original Trophy Sachs require drilling and tapping to fit R1 Scrapper / dust seals. Prices as followed:

Fixture ring £37.39 each
Scraper £15.65 each
Screw kit £2.08

I've just purchased some, delivery not expected until December.

My Sachs are still currently with Cornering Force, to see why they failed and to rectify.

Where did you get the scraper seals from mate?

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I purchased these from Monster Sport Europe, contact Nicky Finlayson on logistics@monster-sport.com

Total for both scraper with all the fixture and fittings £148.69 delivered in 2014.

You cant not contact Nicky anymore as Monster Sport Europe stopped trading in the UK and they are no more.
When you go to there website there is nothing listed for Renaults at all.

They also bought all there parts from BG Motorsport.

Reaction score
You cant not contact Nicky anymore as Monster Sport Europe stopped trading in the UK and they are no more.
When you go to there website there is nothing listed for Renaults at all.

They also bought all there parts from BG Motorsport.

I noticed it’s all geared up for Suzuki’s now. Was it you that got an old set refurbished with the scraper caps retro fitted? If so, who supplied them? Was it monster at the time?

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I noticed it’s all geared up for Suzuki’s now. Was it you that got an old set refurbished with the scraper caps retro fitted? If so, who supplied them? Was it monster at the time?

Everything I do goes through BG motorsport.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Just wanted to add my vote for Cornering Force to refurb the dampers. Simon did a brilliant job - I went over to his workshop when mine needed overhauling. The fact he had a couple of sets ready for dispatch plus each one was dyno tested against a brand new unit from Sachs to confirm the correct rates (with a print out) gave me a lot of confidence in his work. That was several years ago and 390 behaved beautifully when we did the North Coast 500 earlier this year.