Reaction score
Thought I'd post this here as it may be handy for anyone considering a refurb:

Just got my Trophy back after a whole heap of maintenance work and I have to say Wow! I can't believe how much the car is transformed! She went in for a service, new discs and pads, refurbed front shocks from Cornering Force, new front springs and new front top mounts. I had the rear shocks replaced when I bought the car and sent the fronts off to Cornering Force with the plan to refit them in a couple of weeks. Simon turned the shocks round quickly but I've been crazy busy with work, so I've been knocking about with Cup suspension on the front and new Sachs on the rear for the past few months. Whilst this is an amusing combination if you like lift off oversteer, and who doesn't love lift off oversteer?! It's been a revelation getting the proper suspension back. The front end is way more responsive with a significant increase in grip. Surprisingly the steering is also massively improved, none of the slight vagueness that I'd not really appreciated was there until it was gone. There's also much more granularity to the steering with proper feedback on front end grip. If you're in two minds about whether to get your Sachs refurbed, or whether to run cheaper Cup suspension, don't hesitate on getting the Sachs refurbed.

For those of you living in or around the Midlands, I have donated my set of front Cup dampers to the garage that did the work so they can provide Club Members with a drive in drive out service whilst your dampers are off getting refurbed. Please contact Nick at Track Tek in Earls Barton and mention the Trophy Owners Club if you want to get yours done :)

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've managed to reach 116,837 before my front driver's side damper went... not usual by the sounds of things and I'm lucky they lasted that long!
I have read most of this thread and made some notes on who to contact to get some quotes tomorrow from BG motorsport and Cornering Force. I'm also looking into a bespoke option. Renault quoted me £ 1,958.37 for one so that's not an option!!

Could any of you who went for a rebuild on their dampers advise how long it takes for the rebuild to be done, incl. courrier times? I'm going to have to rent a car so I need to know how long it would take.
For those who have sent theirs, where did you go to get them off and how much did it cost you for removal and fitting?

The whole thing is mind-boggling to say the least so any help greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Long time Audrey, good to see you still have the T.
I can't answer most of that but reining a car is crazy, a much better option is to buy some cup dampers whilst the Sachs are being done and then sell them off after.

Reaction score
An easy option is to drive to BG at Silverstone. Leave the car with them. Book one night B&B in Silverstone village. Pick car up next day all done. Not cheap, but I know you enjoy Motorsport. While the cars being done you can fluff your way into the circuit and spectate whatever is going on on track, wonder around Silverstone industrial estate and also ogle the many Porsche, Astons etc that will be milling about. Go karting. Radio controlled cars. GPR. Maybe book an experience on Silverstone race track.

Not far from Leicester. Easy peasy.

Reaction score
Hi Audrey,

Wow, you did well to get so many miles out of them.. I'm sure I read Harry Metcalfe of EVO had his done after just 16,000 miles!

Rather than hiring a car, I would do as hoolio has suggested and purchase some Cup dampers, it will work out a lot cheaper. Adam at Renault Wolverhampton can do them at £40.69 each.

Nice to see another Trophy owner in Leicester :)

Reaction score
An easy option is to drive to BG at Silverstone. Leave the car with them. Book one night B&B in Silverstone village. Pick car up next day all done. Not cheap, but I know you enjoy Motorsport. While the cars being done you can fluff your way into the circuit and spectate whatever is going on on track, wonder around Silverstone industrial estate and also ogle the many Porsche, Astons etc that will be milling about. Go karting. Radio controlled cars. GPR. Maybe book an experience on Silverstone race track.

Not far from Leicester. Easy peasy.

This is what i would do call BG and ask if they do a drive in/out service its 50 miles from you.

Reaction score
Alternatively go to Track Tek in Earls Barton (roughly an hour from Leicester) who can swap your Sachs for my set of Cups whilst yours are sent off for refurb. Drive in with a set of knackered Sachs, drive out with some temporary Cups, then head back a week or so later for your refurbed Sachs. No need to hire a car or pay for a hotel room. And no charge for borrowing the Cups otherwise I'll be having words :)

Reaction score
First of all, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to thank you for your responses. Things have been crazy over the past month. I did some research and ended up putting cup dampers whilst I decided where & when I would have the sachs refurb.

Anyway, since then I crashed my little 286 Trophy... I'll write up an explanation in the owner's section.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi all

Looking for some help - I'm convinced that my dampers are knackered again despite having been refurbed twice :(

Without using a jack, are there any quick fire ways of testing to see if they have gone?

Many thanks
Jack

Reaction score
Hi mate, I'm only in Basingstoke so if you wanted to pop over I'd be more than happy to check your dampers for you! Mike.

Reaction score
Hi all

Looking for some help - I'm convinced that my dampers are knackered again despite having been refurbed twice :(

Without using a jack, are there any quick fire ways of testing to see if they have gone?

Many thanks
Jack

You can try rocking the car. Either push down on the front of one side of the car (pushing down on the top part of the light housing is good spot) or with the door open, push up on the top part of the door way. Tell tale sign is if one side bounces/dips/softer on one side.

Reaction score
Just brought my Sachs suspension to www.dullinger.co.at to get it
completely refurbed and depinned.

This guy worked for AC Schnitzer BMW Racing and tuner the 24hr of
Nurburgring winning BMW M3 and WTCC.

A small but amazing workshop with all Sachs parts in stock.

And he is only 12miles away from me.

I will tell you about the costs when I get the suspension back.
I think it will be 500-600€.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Just brought my Sachs suspension to www.dullinger.co.at to get it
completely refurbed and depinned.

This guy worked for AC Schnitzer BMW Racing and tuner the 24hr of
Nurburgring winning BMW M3 and WTCC.

A small but amazing workshop with all Sachs parts in stock.

And he is only 12miles away from me.

I will tell you about the costs when I get the suspension back.
I think it will be 500-600€.
:up: Enjoy your new suspension (when it has been refurbed!)

Reaction score
Just picked my suspension up from Dullinger.co.at.
It had a full oil, gas, bearing and depinning Service.

Everything was alright. No negative items with the dampers.

Service was superb. Additionally I got some advice for fitting,
and set-up tuning.

I paid 331,94 Pounds which equals 403,94€. Including depinning
which only cost 15€ per side.

Great service, great guy!!

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Sent email to cornering force 5 days ago, no reply. Have sent email to Gould engineering this morning.
Will update on progress

I sent my first e-mail to simon and it took over a week for him to reply but when he did it gave me all the information i needed and wanted and then we had a conversation via e-mail where he answered the questions i had asked.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I sent my first e-mail to simon and it took over a week for him to reply but when he did it gave me all the information i needed and wanted and then we had a conversation via e-mail where he answered the questions i had asked.

Thanks Marc
will give him a call next week if i dont get an email reply.
By the way Gould enginering dont do damper refurbishment