Reaction score
Looks like the time has come for my Sachs to be refurbished, this will be the first time they have been refurbished. But were to get them done? Cornering force or BG Motorsport. money is tight and BG seem expensive i think?
any advice is most welcome. I have read all 78 pages in this thread and i have seen mixed reviews?

Reaction score
i spoke with cornering force this morning by coincidence-

they want 450 quid for full refurb plus powder coat. BG are at 440 just for service extra 120 for powder coat i think (might be a touch more - i cant quite remember)

turn around time was one big difference - cornering force 4-5 weeks for service plus powder coat.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Standard E-mail sent to people regarding sachs dampers.

One bad thing is that its now racing session and BG service all the suspension for a lot of race times and cars so the 7 day turn around is not going to happen.

"There isn’t really a ‘standard’ charge to re- build as it really depends on the condition of the struts, although most of the sets they see work out to cost around £430 per pair (incl. VAT and return carriage),based on the springs being removed and the dampers cleaned before they arrive there. If we are to remove the springs and clean it adds a little to the cost.
The service includes a full strip and de- grease, inspection of working parts, replacement of all sliding seals and bushes with genuine Sachs parts and a pair of dual seal gas caps that we have developed specially for the Trophy. They are then re- built with new oil and nitrogen charged, then dyno tested to ensure a good match left to right.

However, of late they are starting to see some shafts that are scored and need changing. If they need a new shaft/shafts then there will be an additional cost of £120 each, but they only change these if absolutely necessary and they will always discuss/ contact you first.

They are able to provide a drop off service for your car, but They need it at least over night to allow a thread locking compound to set before rebuilding the dampers. With the removal and refitting this works out to around £625 (incl VAT) for the standard service.

If it is of interest They also offer a compression adjuster upgrade. The original adjuster assembly is pinned in place on the Trophy so we can replace it with a genuine Sachs Race Engineering working assembly which allows you to adjust the level of compression adjustment either to soften it to make for a more comfortable ride on bumpy B roads or stiffen it for more spirited driving conditions. The cost of this adds another £170 per pair, incl VAT to the bill.

Finally one other ‘optional extra’ They can now offer is for the struts to be powder coated to make them look like new as well as offering some protection from corrosion. If you choose to have this done it adds about 3-4 days to the time we need the dampers as well as £120 (incl. VAT) per pair to the bill."

Reaction score
Standard E-mail sent to people regarding sachs dampers.

One bad thing is that its now racing session and BG service all the suspension for a lot of race times and cars so the 7 day turn around is not going to happen.

"There isn’t really a ‘standard’ charge to re- build as it really depends on the condition of the struts, although most of the sets they see work out to cost around £430 per pair (incl. VAT and return carriage),based on the springs being removed and the dampers cleaned before they arrive there. If we are to remove the springs and clean it adds a little to the cost.
The service includes a full strip and de- grease, inspection of working parts, replacement of all sliding seals and bushes with genuine Sachs parts and a pair of dual seal gas caps that we have developed specially for the Trophy. They are then re- built with new oil and nitrogen charged, then dyno tested to ensure a good match left to right.

However, of late they are starting to see some shafts that are scored and need changing. If they need a new shaft/shafts then there will be an additional cost of £120 each, but they only change these if absolutely necessary and they will always discuss/ contact you first.

They are able to provide a drop off service for your car, but They need it at least over night to allow a thread locking compound to set before rebuilding the dampers. With the removal and refitting this works out to around £625 (incl VAT) for the standard service.

If it is of interest They also offer a compression adjuster upgrade. The original adjuster assembly is pinned in place on the Trophy so we can replace it with a genuine Sachs Race Engineering working assembly which allows you to adjust the level of compression adjustment either to soften it to make for a more comfortable ride on bumpy B roads or stiffen it for more spirited driving conditions. The cost of this adds another £170 per pair, incl VAT to the bill.

Finally one other ‘optional extra’ They can now offer is for the struts to be powder coated to make them look like new as well as offering some protection from corrosion. If you choose to have this done it adds about 3-4 days to the time we need the dampers as well as £120 (incl. VAT) per pair to the bill."

Marc, are the prices you mention above are they BG motorsport prices?

Reaction score
My Sachs dampers went in to BG this week, following several excellent pre-sales discussions with Jane and Ben. Everything was clear on the pricing (per the email copied above) and I was informed how the work would proceed once I'd sent the dampers in by courier.

The dampers arrived with BG yesterday and were scheduled in for inspection today. Sure enough, by midday, I had a call from Ben to report on his initial findings. As suspected, bad scoring on one of the shafts (would cause issues with hydraulic performance) means it needs replacing. What I wasn't expecting was a report of damage on the other shaft, where an excessively worn top mount axial bush had at some point in the cars life resulted in a big groove being scored close to the threaded section. It shouldn't cause an issue when being refitted with new top mounts (PMS solids in this case) but I've chosen to replace it as a precaution.

So, after only doing the initial inspection, £240 has been added to the rebuild/powdercoating bill. However, I had factored the cost of one replacement shaft into my budget and at least the dampers will be properly future-proofed now.

Here is a photo of the dampers before I sent them off, showing that one has almost completely lost gas pressure!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1465_zps7pagl23h.jpg
    IMG_1465_zps7pagl23h.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 108
Reaction score
I've sent mine in to BG as well a few days ago. Got the copy/paste mail as well. Very clear answers from Jane and I'm looking forward to get them back freshly.

Reaction score
Just had 'the call' to pay for my Sachs refurb, which should arrive back with me tomorrow. They'll be coming back fully rebuilt, with two new shafts and powder coated. Will be fitting them next week with brand new Cooksport springs and PMS solid topmounts, along with brand new Sachs rears and Powerflex top mount bushes.

Reaction score
Just had 'the call' to pay for my Sachs refurb, which should arrive back with me tomorrow. They'll be coming back fully rebuilt, with two new shafts and powder coated. Will be fitting them next week with brand new Cooksport springs and PMS solid topmounts, along with brand new Sachs rears and Powerflex top mount bushes.

did you get any of the upgrades done? or get them de pinned?

Reaction score
Ah, where can replacement gaitors be sourced from? Following my 'eventful' week my Sach's need re-building and sending off to BG again.

Reaction score
i am sure MarcR or someone said you can get some and cut them down to fit, can not remember where i read it. maybe somewhere in this thread

Reaction score
Likewise, I desperately needed them for mine. BG cut them down for me and fitted them too. They look to be a good fit.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Has anyone experienced a leak from the around the red adjuster, as well as the adjuster now unable to be turned?
Had the wheels off to change the brake pads last week and noticed a damp patch around the adjuster and on the connecting bar. Not an awful lot, but enough to be noticable. Ride doesn't seem to be any different either.
Bit gutted if they need a service already. They were brand new units from Renault 4 years ago and only done 20k

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Are the new units un pinned from the factory now ??
There are a series of 3 small o rings on that shaft that seal the adjuster.. Possible that they have failed but more likely from the place where the adjuster body bolts to the main shaft... Can you take a picture ??