Reaction score
Does anyone know how a Civic type R compares to a Trophy in the straight line speed department I know it doesnt stand a chance on the bends?

Reaction score
There was a vid on another site only a few days ago of the Type R Vs a 172 and in a straight line the Type R won. Im afraid to say im sure it would ber a similar story against the Trophy, but it would only be tenths of a second!!!

But as you say, on the Twisties it would be a totally different story. I test drove a Type R before putting my deposit down on a Trophy. The Type R was good, no doubt about that, but something was there letting it down. So. . . .

Off i went to my Renault delaer, money in hand having never driven a Trophy and put down my deposit.

Now 3 weeks down the line i dont regret it. Apart from the bloody rattles. . .

Arrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh. :cry:

Reaction score
not realy seen mine over 4k revs yet ,but i know the type-r eats me top end in my cup by alot so i recon the 182 has to be something special to keep with the civic in the over 120 mph department ....

maybe sum others will correct me on that ,or maybe that 1 i had sum sport with was not standard :)

Reaction score
Look on the Civic type r website there are about 100 different posts on this topic. Lets not turn this site into a my dads bigger than yours. Be honest they are both cracking cars.

Reaction score
They are both cracking cars and quite quick but which is the quickest I wondered ,cant really say im interested in the size of your dad though :D

Reaction score
Yes wigstar1 bad rattles too from stereo area but put up with it looks like im going to lose my 0-100 drag this weekend then and £50 :shock:

Reaction score
My next door neighbou has a brand new one, induction kit etc on it and his is def faster in stright line, however ,hes driven mine also and says himself type r would lnot ook at trophy down back road, so kinda even all round id say and both good cars as mentioned
rodger
:D

amm

Reaction score
Thay are both good cars but the trophy just seams to pull better i know this due to the fact i had a 2004 civic type r and i now own a trophy.
The trophy is mutch better in the corners and pulls better at low reves and mid range as for at the top end would not know as i am still running it in but the full fat 182 of my brother semed to pull about the same as a type r but we never tryed them agenst eatch utther 8) 8) :)

Reaction score
lol on this topic. i post on the type r forum as my mate is on there. We've posted so many topics about 182 vs type r. Everyone on there get's pissed off at us but we are only having a laugh. He likes the trophy i like the type r. Once i've got 1000 miles on the clock he wants to go and have a play on straight line speed me vs him!!!!

Reaction score
'Doesnt stand a chance on the bends' - LOL :roll:

I have neither car so am unbiased. You cant argue the Civic is better built. You cant really argue its faster in a straight line. It is both of these things.

As for handling, well what people forget is that its subjective. How a car handles depends on how you drive it and what your preference is for characteristics for things like understeer and oversteer.

If as a driver you like a car to oversteer, the Trophy is a poor handling car as the heavy engine up front makes it understeer.

If you like a car to be stable under braking, again the Trophy is a poor handling car as it bucks and fights under braking.

You cant say one car handles well and another doesnt. What you can say is that you like the handling or you dont like the handling.

Just as you cant say one hair cut is better than another. Its about what you like at the end of the day.

Is the Trophy a better car on the bends? Maybe you could have more fun. But then the civic driver will have more fun listening to the vtec aeroplane take off at 5000 revs on the straight, so its swings and roundabout.

Personally id rather have a civic. mainly due to the fact that they are worth more than a blade of grass after 2 years on the market.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
King Stromba said:
'If you like a car to be stable under braking, again the Trophy is a poor handling car as it bucks and fights under braking.

Since when?

My 172 was a bit nervous at the rear end under hard braking probably due to crap worn out shocks, but the Trophy is solid as a rock provided you aren't braking in the corners rather than in a straight line before them.

Reaction score
Drive a toyota supra twin turbo on track and youll understand how unstable a hot hatch is under braking and feel how stable a 'proper race car' is under braking. All hot hatches do it. The trophy does too, ive seen it in videos. If it doesnt your not braking hard enough.

They are unstable because all the weight is at the front and under hard braking the weight transfer shift even further forward. Their ride height contributes to it too. The back end gets loose and it bucks about.

Larger cars are inherently more stable, usually because they are heavier and have wider stickier tyres. They also tend to have a lower centre of gravity and so weight transfer doesnt cause the back end to become loose.

The proof of this is the fact that under heavy braking a Trophy (and other hatch) will go onto three wheels (ie all the grip is on the front tyres). The no grip from the back tyres causes this instability. Ever seen a toyota supra on three wheels? No. Here endeth the lesson.

Reaction score
since im still running in i've not done any hard braking in the trophy but i know on my old full fat the back would become so light under very hard braking from high speeds.

could argue that a supra is a "proper race car" but i know what you mean.

hyb

Reaction score
News Flash : stromba kills thread with usualy blurb no one bothers to read once again.

we'll be back after these commercials

Reaction score
jezza l said:
since im still running in i've not done any hard braking in the trophy but i know on my old full fat the back would become so light under very hard braking from high speeds.

could argue that a supra is a "proper race car" but i know what you mean.

Thats why i put it in inverted commas :wink:

Reaction score
hyb said:
News Flash : stromba kills thread with usualy blurb no one bothers to read once again.

we'll be back after these commercials

Read my shit boy. You might learn something.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yeah, I know what you're saying Stromba, no arguments from me with the theory. Larger cars are obviously more stable under braking and and as you say the Trophy's weight distribution and ride height means (partly by design) that the rear end goes very light under hard braking.

It's not as bad as you like to suggest though, and it certainly doesn't go all loose and buck about unless you deliberately provoke it. I've got uprated brakes on the Trophy and on track i'm usually braking as hard as possible to do so without the ABS kicking in and the car feels very stable. Certainly braking in a straight line there's no instability at all, but yes, if you start trail braking into corners then you're going to need to be more cautious.

I agree though, these topics are generally pointless as people have their reasons for preferring one car over another and thats all that matters. I'd love the Honda engine but all things considered, the Clio is the better car for me.

Reaction score
Someone was going to put the integra lump in a Williams. Dont knw if the integra and civic use the same lump?

amm

Reaction score
Nik said:
Yeah, I know what you're saying Stromba, no arguments from me with the theory. Larger cars are obviously more stable under braking and and as you say the Trophy's weight distribution and ride height means (partly by design) that the rear end goes very light under hard braking.

It's not as bad as you like to suggest though, and it certainly doesn't go all loose and buck about unless you deliberately provoke it. I've got uprated brakes on the Trophy and on track i'm usually braking as hard as possible to do so without the ABS kicking in and the car feels very stable. Certainly braking in a straight line there's no instability at all, but yes, if you start trail braking into corners then you're going to need to be more cautious.

I agree though, these topics are generally pointless as people have their reasons for preferring one car over another and thats all that matters. I'd love the Honda engine but all things considered, the Clio is the better car for me.
nick when you say you have uprated brakes what have you dun to them :?: :?: