Reaction score
What is a trophy worth in bits? The car in question is completely standard with engine failure

Dampers are fine, one wheel has a kerb mark that I can see and the mileage is 65-70k miles.

I'm informed the gearbox is fine and the recaro's are in mint condition, any help is appreciated

Reaction score
I've made up a list of what I think some bits are worth, any feedback would be great

Recaro Seats - £800
Rear half leather seats from 182 £70
Trophy Doorcards £30
Wheels with michelin tyres, 2 tyres could do with replacing soon £400
Sachs Dampers, springs x4 and rear dampers £250
Full bodykit £250
Sidestrips £40
Spoiler and boot struts £200
Front and rear lights...around £70
Front wings £100
RS Grills £40
Gearbox £250
Standard mint exhaust £30
Cat £80
Manifold £150
Mirrors £50
Rear axle £100

Do those prices seem reasonable? I know it will mean destroying a trophy but the owner isnt fussed. I would say sell as a whole car as it literally only wants an engine put in it but the cash just isnt available to the owner at the minute.

Reaction score
I think its the labour charges that are putting him off mate, then there is the cost of doing belts etc.

We've had a camera down the engine and its snapped two valves, destroyed the top of piston 4 and smashed the life out of the 4th plug. Somehow we stripped the top inlet off and found bits of spark plug back up in the inlet manifold.

Some dodgy workmanship carried out by a garage as the owner hadnt touched it since it had the cambelt done....which wasnt that long ago :evil: it wasnt a cheap job either which has left the pockets empty for the unexpected failure

Reaction score
Prices seem good, I would say that i'm after a few things you have.
However it would be soul destroying to break up piece by piece. I think i'd pay the money and get the engine sorted.
If not drop me a PM.

Reaction score
The front shockers alone are worth quite a bit... I sold a pair for £375 on bay a couple of days ago... they went after being on there a couple of hours as a "buy it now". wish I had asked for more now! here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Clio-Trophy-Sachs ... 3a61ef0ccd

I also had a set of almost new shockers with no springs for sale... they went for £850!

Reaction score
Chris dont break it mate, it's only an engine that can easily be replaced.

Breaking it will be a ball ache and you'll enevitably end up with bits you cant shift imho its a bad idea [-X

Reaction score
Just as StevieH said don't break there is always spare engines going on CS forum if not call clio spares or local scrappy then get someone who can remove and fit engine on the quiet your get a better deal. Would be worth the effort while engine is out to stick cam belt on and new clutch if not replaced already saves you hassle in future.
If you give clio spares a call you may be able to get just the block and head complete and swap everything over from old engine save a bit of cash that way.

Reaction score
I will fold the cards I was holding close to my chest...

The car in question is in fact my own :( Shameful it is really but just wanted to gauge some opinions before I broadcasted it on the forum.

I'm rather p!ssed off about the whole thing really, the main reason I bought 007 was because it had just had the full major service and belts done. When I got to give the car its first real taste of harder driving in my ownership it became apparent the garage hadnt timed the engine correctly. Between 3k-5k the engine had a huge flatspot. I had my friend from renault check it with his timing tools and it was one tooth out on the inlet side.

With the timing rectified it then became apparent the car didnt idle as well as it did before and when getting high up the rev range there was a flat spot around 6600 rpm-6900 rpm then the car would take off again for the remaining few RPM.
We had the car rigged up to the renault diagnostics machine, monitering the engines values on the road. Nothing was showing up so I left the car with my friend to have a further investigation. He said the only thing he thought it could be was an ignition problem. I immediately priced up a set of plugs but didnt have the cash to hand so It was put on the back burner for a week until the car was taken off the road for the winter. The problem only occured at very high revs so this wasnt much of an issue.

The final day of insurance and I decided to take the trophy upto hartside (good 'b' roads for those who dont know, complete trophy territory.) On the way I was generally using the new found mid-range of the trophy until exiting one corner, 3rd gear approx 3.5k RPM, squeezed the throttle and it let go. Checked the belt was still there (from what we could see in the pitch black, all seemed still present so we cranked it over, giving a nice metallic noise :oops:

After a nice 3 mile jog to the local village we finally got signal and got some recovery arranged, got it back and stripped it down. I immediately checked the spark plugs 1-3 came out very easily, the 4th had been stripped in by some numpty, after me and my bro (both big lads) had a right job on to get it out. What was left of the spark plug hadnt been seen by anyone before, it had literally been destroyed with some force. I found pieces of spark plug and I'm guessing potentially valve in the inlet manifold...not a good sign.

We stuck the snap on camera down the plug hole and the whole thread for the plug was mashed, 2 of the inlet valves have snapped on the 4th side, the head looks to have took some damage where the valves seat and the top of the piston is ruined.

Does this sound like its jumped a tooth on the timing or potentially the timing being out beforehand could have caused some damage? In all honesty I didn't see it coming so its set my plans back a long way.

The reason I was thinking of breaking it or selling it as is is because by the time I have paid to repair the car I will have nearly £9k in it and going from recent valuations its worth nowhere near that.

Your thoughts???

Reaction score
I can see your point on the 9k situ however you got to think about how much its worth selling it for on once its done and the profit over the cost of stripping as i can assure you your be left with half the parts from the car where there just not needed unless you sell spare bits to someone like clio spares.
If your not competent at fitting a new engine or removing old engine then your into labour costs. A block and head i would have thought wouldnt have been much and most will prob be low mileage due to age of 182's, its worth a call just to find out and then once you have that cost check with some local people on cost for fitting engine.
I feel if it was mine that it would be a shame to break the car.
Its entirely up to you what route to take im sure some would snap up your car if you want to sell as a whole in no time.

Reaction score
I sympathise with you, it's not a nice situation to be in.

So to clarify, has the cambelt actually snapped? Or has it thrown a pulley or snapped a camshaft or something?

I think the first problem is that you got the timing problem sorted without going back to the garage who made the mistake. But to be honest I would have done exactly what you did in the same situation.. However, the garage does not know this! I would take it to them and put pressure on them to get it sorted. At least worth a try?

Failing that, it will be worth putting an engine in. The car is worth too much to break, and I would imagine you'd make the same breaking it as you would selling it as it is.

The key I reckon is whether or not the bores are scored, if so it's fubar'd, otherwise you could repair it, possibly with a new (2nd hand) head.

But I do feel for you, facing having 9k in a c.6K car. Eek.. :cry:

Nick.

Reaction score
At the moment we havent lifted the head off due to putting the camera down the engine, it seemed pointless wasting time stripping it down.

I'm looking really for a complete engine so we can just do a straight swap over, the plan was to put it on an engine stand, get the timing belt, pulley, dephaser pulley and waterpump changed while the engine was there, paint the engine up to make it look good and maybe give the engine bay a lick of paint to really make it look immaculate. IF I do put an engine in I will be keeping the car for a few years simply because I will have too much cash in it to simply lose out and not enjoy it.

The only problem I really have with doing the belts, waterpump and pulleys is the cost. I will be putting Millers Oil in it, plugs along with a new clutch etc and by the end of it the cost just rockets up.

Engines at the minute seem to be lurking around the £700 mark and I'd prefer to put a lower mileage engine in there seeing as I'd be keeping the car for a few years. It will take me around 4-5 months to have all the cash saved up so I'm starting to get a bit dis-heartened about the whole thing. I'm going to replace the clutch as well which someone posted above, good call mate, cheers.

I've also been evaluating putting the JMS RS2 inlet manifold on it, the thinking was instead of having to pull the car apart twice just do it in one big swoop, it would mean further saving to be done but I think I could live with it for the outcome.

Reaction score
Chris I had a chat with Andy aout this earlier and he says he knows where there is a good bottom end, he also has 16 valves removed from the F4R lump I gave him when we embarked on the f4r/f4rt hybrid engine conversion. You really need to get the head off to see how mashed up the underside is. If its recoverable it might be a case of dropping in some new valves and you'll be sorted

Regarding the belts I'm more than happy to give up a saturday/sunday to come down and do them your pretty local to me and I have all the official renault timing tools, obviously I can't offer any warranties for the work but I've timed quite a few f4r and f4rt engines up now and never had any issues. That includes mine, Andy's, a renault 5 Gt turbo with a 225 lump in it as well as a number of 182 and 172's.

I know it's a ball ache but I honestly don't think you'll recover a massive amount back by breaking it. Who carried out the intial service? PM or facebook message me if you dont want to broadcast it on here

Reaction score
I'm up andy's this weekend to finish off the paint correction and wet sanding on his trophy red ph1 if you're around pop up and we can have a chat mate.

The company that did the work was rentech in northallerton, never heard of them personally but really unhappy with the work the car had done by them :( . I'm sort of glad in a way it happened as I will know exactly what goes back into it and if I keep it for a long time I will know the car inside out.

Theres a place in blaydon who are a renault parts place, called N.E.R.P, they say theyve got any ammount of engines in so I may go up and haggle on for a low mile lump.

I was going to get Mickleton services to come to my house and do the belts, I know hutchie from there so was really hoping I will get some warranty as I dont fancy this happening again and being left in the same situation.

I will message you on facebook now mate for a natter

Reaction score
I have done a few engine swaps over the last couple of years. Im no mechanic but it is really not that hard IF you have the right tools, like you said engine cradle/crane thing.

Reaction score
Argh, nightmare Chris, i must admit, i had an awful feeling we were talking about your car in our pm's yesterday.

I'll keep an eye out for an engine if you like? Mike/me break 172's quite often as im sure you are aware ...

Reaction score
Yeah dave, didnt want to say until I'd made my mind up what to do with it.

If you dont mind mate that would be great, I'm away up to the new renault parts dealers close to home and they say they have a few 182 lumps sat there so if they dont want an arm and a leg for them I will start saving