Reaction score
From what i recall, Mike sold the last 2 PH1 172 lumps for about £250-£300 each, so if you have another car to use, & the expertise to swop an engine over, i'd just wait it out and wait for a bargain to come up :)

Reaction score
Good to see others lending a hand and im glad your looking into another engine, just a tip when taking the head off jack under sump with block of wood then remove engine mount once done stick a block of wood between sump pan and subframe on o/s your see it once the wheel arch is out the way, that way jack can be removed and car can stay mobile while work is carried out.
As for water pump that was mentioned iv heard that the 2.0ltr pump is pretty bullet proof compared to other renaults, its also run from the aux belt not timing belt so if you need to save some pennies dw about it it just yet.
I would have lent a hand but i live a mile away.
Keep us all updated on progress and if anything you need a hand or info on anything im sure someone on here or cs can give you some help.

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the offers of help its really appreciated

I thought I'd update this:

I managed to sort out some cash to get the clio back on the road and to be enjoyed, so I've purchased:

33k Mile 182 engine
Timing belt kit
Aux belt kit
Dephaser pulley
Millers Fully synthetic Competition oil
NGK Spark Plugs

A couple of treats:

Alcantara Door Cards
Whiteline Rear anti-roll bar
Eibach Sportline Springs

I've also been looking at upgrading to magnecor leads for a potential JMS inlet set up in the future, does anyone have any experience with the magnecor leads and whether to run the blue or red ones?

Reaction score
Looking good just wanted to check you not forgotten about the clutch, has the new engine got one fitted? if so is it good condition and not contaminated.

If your new engine clutch is in good nick make sure you replace old release bearing while your there with new one.

If the new engine don't come with the clutch make sure you get a kit not just a new clutch as includes the release bearing.

Hope all goes well sounds like it wont be long before your back on the road :D

Reaction score
Oh just thought i would add if your getting magnecor leads go for the best the red ones i think as there slightly bigger in size no point spending money on the blue ones when there's a better set for not alot more money.

Reaction score
Cheers for that, going to price up a new clutch kit tomorrow, any advice on a good one to go for? I dont really want anything fancy as the most power it will see will be 190bhp in my ownership (I think) :twisted:

Reaction score
Hinckley, Leics. *182 breaking for spares*
chris205 said:

I managed to sort out some cash to get the clio back on the road and to be enjoyed, so I've purchased:

33k Mile 182 engine
Timing belt kit
Aux belt kit
Dephaser pulley
NGK Spark Plugs

A couple of treats:

Alcantara Door Cards
Eibach Sportline Springs

I've also been looking at upgrading to magnecor leads for a potential JMS inlet set up in the future, does anyone have any experience with the magnecor leads and whether to run the blue or red ones?

What did you do, rob a bank?

Mat.

Reaction score
With the power your going for a standard clutch would handle this no problems, the standard renault unit is a valeo kit and the after market valeo unit i exactly the same other than not having the renault stamp on the clutch plate.

If it was me i would also consider a sachs kit, iv used them on many occasions on previous cars as well as at work.
There used on the Porsche's at work and the ones we get from places like euro car parts are exactly the same as the genuine ones but usually about half the price.

Over all look for valeo or sachs kit's and go for whatever works out the cheapest.

Reaction score
Matbrown said:
chris205 said:

33k Mile 182 engine
Timing belt kit
Aux belt kit
Dephaser pulley
NGK Spark Plugs

A couple of treats:

Alcantara Door Cards
Eibach Sportline Springs

What did you do, rob a bank?

Mat.
Why rob the place when all you need to do is speak nicely lol

Reaction score
liam1610 said:
With the power your going for a standard clutch would handle this no problems, the standard renault unit is a valeo kit and the after market valeo unit i exactly the same other than not having the renault stamp on the clutch plate.

If it was me i would also consider a sachs kit, iv used them on many occasions on previous cars as well as at work.
There used on the Porsche's at work and the ones we get from places like euro car parts are exactly the same as the genuine ones but usually about half the price.

Over all look for valeo or sachs kit's and go for whatever works out the cheapest.
I've ordered a new valeo clutch kit and slave cylinder :)

I've also bought:

Eibach camber bolts
New Style Renault sport badge
Smaller plate for the front

Now the spending spree stops and I enjoy the trophy for what it was made for, I will be saving up for 4-5 items during the year including the damper refurb but that isnt needed at the moment. The reason I'm spending all of this money is to make sure the car is 100% reliable as I'm going to hang on to it for a long time, I'm also taking it to le mans 24 hour this year so it needs to get me there and back.....and FCS the week before :S