Reaction score
With so many of us likely to buy Michelin Exalto 2 tyres as replacements for the ones already on our Trophy's, I thought it may be useful to start a thread with location/prices for the aid of all of us.

So as the first entry I have found Exalto 2s at:

Place: www.mytyres.co.uk
Price: £90.70 per tyre including postage and VAT
Specification: 205/45 ZR16 83W

Interesting to see if anyone can get a better price...

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
Granted, there are various good alternatives out there (excluding Kleber's which are not OEM fitment on any performance car, period). I've personally had great experience with Bridgeston S03's and ContiSport Contact 2's...

...however I'm not too sure I'd want to alter what Renault has tuned the Trophy to handle perfectly on. I'm sure many hours have gone into honing the handling in conjunction with the Exalto 2's.

A prime example of the sensitivity of tyres to a finely tuned chassis is on the current Mitsu Evo's... no one can seem to match the original abilities of the car unless they have the original tyres the car was designed to operate with.

If the Exalto's are more than up to the job (and have contributed to rave reviews about the car), why alter the successful formula?

That said, I would happily put on a set of Yoko 048's for the track! :)

O.

Reaction score
Good point. Continuing the thread I would like to see peoples preference for road and also track, or would it be likely that one tyres could possibly be the best in both environments?

Reaction score
King Stromba said:
Kleber are made by michelin :D

These guys?? http://www.klebertyres.co.uk/KleberUK/UK/index1.jsp

Wouldn't put them on my Trophy even if they gave a free lifetime supply to me and offered to change them every month on the house....

I'll stick to the proven Exalto's thanks (the tyres that various journalists beileve aid the car in being a competitor to handling of the mighty M6 and various other supercars...).

:D

O.

Reaction score
In France Kleber outsell Michelin, because the French understand they are basically the same tyres, and they arnt stupid enough to pay 100 a corner for a clio. :D Have a nice Christmas.

100 a corner for a clio. PMSL.

And talking about the French not being stupid, have you worked out yet why they didnt sell the Trophy in France?

Reaction score
Tyres I am going to replace my PE2's with are Yoko Parada Spec 2. Check them out at http://www.yokohama-online.com/gb/pages/IEFRAME.HTM. I understand Yoko's aren't to everyone's tastes, but I really rate them.

Not listed on mytyres, but blackcircles are currently offering them at £87 each, so they are not too pricey either :D

Reaction score
King Stromba said:
...because the French understand they are basically the same tyres, and they arnt stupid enough to pay 100 a corner for a clio.

If your logic holds it would seem that all of the worlds most profitable car manufacturers (Porsche, BMW et al.) are quite stupid too. Afterall, Porsche could fit Klemer's to the 911 instead of Pilot Sports since they are "basically the same tyres".

:roll:

Cheers
O.

Day

Reaction score
Give over...

Find me proof that Kleber make an identical tyre / tread pattern...

Reaction score
OliS said:
Tyres I am going to replace my PE2's with are Yoko Parada Spec 2. Check them out at http://www.yokohama-online.com/gb/pages/IEFRAME.HTM. I understand Yoko's aren't to everyone's tastes, but I really rate them.

Not listed on mytyres, but blackcircles are currently offering them at £87 each, so they are not too pricey either :D

Olis - I have heard only good things about this tyre! I'd be careful about using them in the wet, but they'd make an aweseome dry tyre :)

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
I wouldn't even make a swing for the kids with a Kleber. They can make do with an Exalto once they have worn down.

Reaction score
ducks butt said:
I wouldn't even make a swing for the kids with a Kleber. They can make do with an Exalto once they have worn down.
Lol!!! Fantastic :lol:

Reaction score
oliie said:
Olis - I have heard only good things about this tyre! I'd be careful about using them in the wet, but they'd make an aweseome dry tyre

Agreed - after having had Yoko's on my two previous cars (A539's - 5 GT Turbo and AVS Sports - 172) I swear by them, awesome dry performance, but give the same advice as you, be careful in the wet :lol:

Additionally I think they will make a better occasional trackday tyre than the Exalto, which in my opinion has to much flex/movement for track work

Reaction score
OliS - agree completely with the trackday comment. How many miles did you get out of a set of the Yoko's? (just trying to consider it as an everyday tyre with heavy motorway usage...)

O.

Reaction score
A539 - about 8,000 with no trackdays.

AVS Sport - sold the car with them on and I had done one trackday and 4,000miles, reckon they were about half way through their life.

Don't do much of my driving on the m'way so I can't say how they would do for this type of driving, I imagine they would be not be as good as the Exalto in terms of road noise and ride quality...but I am happy to trade these in for more feel/grip.

Reaction score
Day said:
Give over...

Find me proof that Kleber make an identical tyre / tread pattern...

How about me writing to michelin technical department and being told that the spider diagramme for the kleber HP2 is IDENTICAL to the Michelin Pilot HX fitted to the Williams.

So clearly michelin copy design and manufacturing techniches over to kleber (which makes financial sense when you think about it, why waste millions designing new tyres when they have the blueprints already in michelin HQ). I dont know if they make an alternative for the Exalto, i havnt researched it. But my point is that budget tyres are, alot of the time, made by large manufacturers using the same technology as for expensive tyres.

If you do your research you can save a packet. If you dont you end up paying 100 quid a corner and the French laugh at you for being stupid rosbeefs zat buy ze expenseev tyres zat we make in ze same factory as ze cheap French tyre