Reaction score
Again, many thanks for the links and advice. You are great guys.

I emailed sales@allvehicles.co.uk - so far no reply. I also had a brief call from the Recovery/Settlement people – they wanted to know the mileage (don’t know why they didn’t have this from the Insurers). I asked them if they knew what the car was – they reassured me they did. I said I’m expecting a sensible offer, not a silly one. They said they are here to establish a correct value, not to take money off me.

Reaction score
This morning the Recovery/Settlement people phoned and offered £3480. I said, that is nowhere near the value. They mentioned Glass’s guide, which I pounced on and said I’d spoken to someone at Glass’s guide (true) and we’d agreed their valuation is not accurate for this particular car. They said they could only go by book evaluations. Bah – so much for research.

So the claim is now lodged as “Not agreed” and apparently I should now expect postal correspondence from my insurers and exchange of evidence to start.

Reaction score
I think your argument should be that you want to replace the car.
If their valuation doesn't cover the costs of replacement then push hard.
If you have any lawyer friends it is amazing what affect a letter from them does.
Go through all reasonable arguments first though.

Reaction score
Hey Keith.

Really to sorry to hear this.

If it helps at all I was the person who purchased no.151 from Steve in October. The car was in pretty much mint condition with 36k on the clock. I paid 7k for it, which at the time I though was a bit steep but I feel in love with the car and couldn't walk away from it.

Hang in there with the insurance they can be real bastards sometimes when it comes to things like this.

If you need need any more information just give me a shout

Adds

Reaction score
Update:
After waiting patiently for postal communication, as I was led to expect, I had to phone my insurers to enquire of status. They tried to contact recovery people (separate/associated company) but said their computer system was down. Then after a long hold, during which they apparently spoke to the system engineers, I was told my file had been corrupted – but not to worry because details can be sent over again.

What a farce.

Adds,
thank you for the kind offer of information. I may well wish to take you up on this – some form of proof that Trophys sell for this amount. However, the way the insurers/recovery people are behaving, this will drag on and on.

Reaction score
Shame to hear.
Made me think and call my insurance company Admiral, they stated i'm insured for £6k at the time policy commenced a few months ago, however now it would have to be revalued should i intend to make a claim. From an enthusiast point of view thats not very good.

Reaction score
Gambit - is that £6k the generic value of your car, or do you have a specific agreed value policy with Admiral, as they're very different.

Reaction score
Gambit - is that £6k the generic value of your car, or do you have a specific agreed value policy with Admiral, as they're very different.
They said it was a £6k value of the car at policy commencement, and that the value would be assessed again if there was a claim.

Reaction score
They said it was a £6k value of the car at policy commencement, and that the value would be assessed again if there was a claim.
In which case the £6k is probably meaningless and if it was written-off they'd refer to Glass's guide for the valuation of a 182 as per the various threads doing the rounds.

Good luck Keith, if there's anything we can do to help... All advertise our Trophys for £8-10k? ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, 1in500. Also to all: once again thanks for the good advice and support. It is much appreciated. Re existing owners advertising for £8-10k – what a lovely thought. Wonder what insurers would make of that.

I’ve still had no response from my insurers or the recovery people. Time to stop being patient and start pestering them, I think.

Reaction score
On Monday I sent some evidence that Trophys do sell for £7000 to the Valuation people. Yesterday they phoned me with a revised offer (wait for it)…£3740. An increase of £360 over the last offer, wow!

Of course, I again said this is inadequate and the claim will now pass round the system again. I’m getting very frustrated – we're not in the same ballpark yet.

Again, they mentioned Glass’s/Parkers Guide and I said they are not accurate for this car. They were adamant that “sub-60,000 mileage” Trophys were available for the valuation they were offering. Is it me that is in error? The only Trophys I’ve seen around £4k are 100k mileage examples.

Reaction score
Stick to your guns, Keith. You may not get what you want, but I think you can get much closer than their paltry offer of £3.7k.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'd hold out for a minimum £4.5k

Not what it's worth but you're never going to get 100%

Reaction score
I would hold out for £6k min their job is to rip you off, don't blink first!

Reaction score
i would hold out for closer to 6k as well, and tell them they can not use that guide because your car is not in it :p and you are speaking to your lawyer

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I would hold out for anything between £5k and £6500

Reaction score
" “sub-60,000 mileage” Trophys were available for the valuation they were offering "

Well yours was sub-40,000m for a start and we all know which ones are for sale and for how much

Lawyer option sounds the most appropriate as you've given the evidence that they originally asked for:

I spoke to the insurers (Acromas Insurance Company Ltd) and apparently the value is somewhat open to negotiation: settlement people make a claim and I ether accept or give evidence that higher price is warranted.

Intelligent companies keep their customers happy and get recommended; the opposite unfortunately is evident here, short-termism

Good luck Keith, I hope you get this sorted in the near future