Reaction score
ryanaldo13 said:
I think its when you park on a gradient, at home it's flat and at work its about 10% in some places.

well to add some more to this view - outside my house where i park my car it's flat, whereas at work my car is parked on a gradient. Starts fine on a gradient, but i've had problems when it's outside the house :roll:

Reaction score
Mines left in the garage over night and its flat in there .

Reaction score
Can't believe how many of us have this problem. Booked mine in at the dealership for them to have a look at, will report back. :)

Reaction score
T23PHY said:
ryanaldo13 said:
I think its when you park on a gradient, at home it's flat and at work its about 10% in some places.

well to add some more to this view - outside my house where i park my car it's flat, whereas at work my car is parked on a gradient. Starts fine on a gradient, but i've had problems when it's outside the house :roll:

Mines the oppersite , flat at work and starts fine , gradient at home and hardly ever starts first time :shock:
I'll mention it to my dealer cos it's having the spare key recoded on friday.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I had this problem on both my 172 and Trophy. Whatever causes it, fitting the RSport / Group N ECU stopped it on both cars.

There's obviously something different (probably fueling) in the map that means it never happens with them fitted.

Reaction score
Sorry to be a pleb but what is the group n ecu and how is it different to the standard one .

Reaction score
keeper said:
Sorry to be a pleb but what is the group n ecu and how is it different to the standard one .

Not a pleb, that's what forums are for, the group N is for rally/track use and will be a more aggressive electronic management profile. Being a pleb is running out of fuel on a C-road with nowhere to pull over on the drive to work (Oops! :oops:)

My questions -

How much is it Nik and where did you get it done? Does it affect the fuel economy noticably and will it invalidate the warranty?

Reaction score
OliS said:
Can't believe how many of us have this problem. Booked mine in at the dealership for them to have a look at, will report back. :)

be interesting to hear how you get on.

Mine has done it about another 4 times since my last post!

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
The old mans does it now and then and that is parked in a garage overnight too!

Doesn't do it all of the time though.

Reaction score
Well just had a call from the dealership to say that they can't find any problems/faults. The car started first time for them, and according to the diagnostics everything is as it should be. Hate these intermittent problems, it's almost impossible to get them fixed!

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I dont think anyone has ever had it solved to be honest, i remember this being raised many times over the years on Cliosport. A case of just living with it or buying a Group N ECU i think :?

Reaction score
OliS said:
Well just had a call from the dealership to say that they can't find any problems/faults. The car started first time for them, and according to the diagnostics everything is as it should be. Hate these intermittent problems, it's almost impossible to get them fixed!

It normally occurs if the car is sitting more than 24hours... did they leave it to stand or did they try re-starting the day you left it with them?

Frustrating niggles...

O.

Reaction score
My Trophy never rests for more than 24 hours! :wink:

I drive most days, in to work in the morning and home in the evening, and I still suffer the starting problem. I left the car with them yesterday evening and they had a look mid-morning.

Group buy on R'sport ECU's anyone? :lol:

Reaction score
Video it using your mobile phone as evidance and take it to show the dealer . My trophy does it every morning now .

Reaction score
keeper said:
My dealer has had the car 2 weeks they have had it not start but still don't know why . Some one from Renault UK is phoning today to talk to me i will let you know what happens .

Excellent! Don't foget to tell him 498 others have the same problem (i.e. excluding Nik!) :)

O.

Reaction score
Mine did it this morning. No excuse, my 18 year old 205 started to a busy idle before you'd even finished turning the key, and that uses bamboo in the ignition circuitry.

Reaction score
Just picked it up they have put a new fuel pump in but don't know if this was the problem . I told them about the group n ecu and they are going to look into putting one on if the car plays but it seems ok now .

Reaction score
keeper said:
Just picked it up they have put a new fuel pump in but don't know if this was the problem . I told them about the group n ecu and they are going to look into putting one on if the car plays up again . They had a 197 in did not like the look to every day .

Renault would fit the Group N ecu for you? Yikes!! Is it programmed by Renault?

O.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ha, would you believe it, mine did it this morning for the first time ever since i've had the Group N ECU. I had left the aircon switched on to full speed though.

If I remember from previous post about this on CS, it generally happened more in the hotter weather