photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
To add to this, Jane at BG has confirmed you'd be about £480 for a basic re-seal etc. PLUS £140 if you want them powder coated.

I think it's one of those 'you pays your money, you takes your choice' sort of scenarios really.

There has been overwhelmingly positive feedback on this thread from a number of members about BG Motorsport. Both the experience and communication dealing with them, and also the subsequent performance of the dampers post refurb. I think there's something to be said for that. Yes, they're probably the most expensive option but they evidently, in my experience, do an excellent job, which is sometimes something worth paying for. (and no.. I don't work for them or am on commission.. :LOL: )

Last edited:
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I think it's one of those 'you pays your money, you takes your choice' sort of scenarios really.

There has been overwhelmingly positive feedback on this thread from a number of members about BG Motorsport. Both the experience and communication dealing with them, and also the subsequent performance of the dampers post refurb. I think there's something to be said for that. Yes, they're probably the most expensive option but they evidently, in my experience, do an excellent job, which is sometimes something worth paying for. (and no.. I don't work for them or am on commission.. :LOL: )
I can second this. they have done a brilliant job for me

Reaction score
I have just had my set rebuild by cooksport. Drivers side had a leak. Spoke to them beforehand they contacted me the day after they got them to confirm receipt and identified a scratch on the shaft which can be polished out. Work was done in the week and they were contacting me 5 days later for payment and shipping. 2 weeks between sending and getting back. Cost was 290 with return shipping. No dyno testing which bg did but time and communication along with cost was good. Just waiting for some new dust covers and will refit them shortly.

Willowbank 37

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have just had my set rebuild by cooksport. Drivers side had a leak. Spoke to them beforehand they contacted me the day after they got them to confirm receipt and identified a scratch on the shaft which can be polished out. Work was done in the week and they were contacting me 5 days later for payment and shipping. 2 weeks between sending and getting back. Cost was 290 with return shipping. No dyno testing which bg did but time and communication along with cost was good. Just waiting for some new dust covers and will refit them shortly.
I had mine done at Cooksport last year as well, however it was more of a major operation due to needing new canisters, replacement shafts and other repairs. Cost £1100!! Need to get the suspension back together and rolling!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
If anyone has read recent reviews of Cornering Force not communicating very well, I can confirm these views are still accurate.

Not overly impressed.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Afternoon all,

I sent a set of my dampers to CookSport a couple of weeks ago and recently got a call saying they could not powder coat the shocks. It turns out they use a third party who could no longer do it (indefinitely it seemed) This left me in a bit of a problem...

Given they had already stripped the dampers and I believe they've replaced the seals etc. I asked them to find someone else to Powdercoat them, as I'm concerned that getting any person to do it may ruin the work they've already undertaken. They got back to me last week stating that they don't have anyone to do it.

So now I'm left with serviced dampers but not finished correctly - does anyone know the paint code for the grey colour, or experienced this issue before? I'm not sure where to go from here, so any advice is appreciated.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
phone BGM and ask if they would powder coat?

Would not the heat process affect seals, oils pressures etc. Not that I know but surely they powdercoat after disassembly and before reassembly.

In answer to the question, when I had mine refurbed I did search for them original paint code, couldn’t find and failed to get a good match so in the end went my own way. There are pictures somewhere here and though I say it myself they looked pretty good.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Would not the heat process affect seals, oils pressures etc. Not that I know but surely they powdercoat after disassembly and before reassembly.
I was thinking exactly the same, surely they'll need to be stripped down to go through a powder coating process, I can't imagine baking the seals and oil at 400 degrees would do them much good...

Willowbank 37

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hey Rob, so these fit the front Sachs dampers? Mine didn't have any when I took them off but now they are pristine would like to protect the shafts! Any pictures with them fitted? Thanks.

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.

Original ones if all else fails, I got some to fit to mine - not cheap and come from France.

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.

If this is what it looks like then it's cheap - 60mm - 300 euros - left hand side only.

Willowbank 37

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.

Willowbank 37

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.

If this is what it looks like then it's cheap - 60mm - 300 euros - left hand side only.
Wonder why they only have left hand side?

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks Nick, I wasn't aware that they were fitted when new?
As Nick has highlighted, the dust boots originally fitted to the front Sachs dampers also importantly feature an integral bump-stop. I've personally never seen an aftermarket dust cover/ bump stop that is made to the same spec as this original item. Nick, myself and a few others have sourced the correct original Renault/Sachs part from Optimiz in France as Nick has linked to above, they are expensive granted, but they are the correct item and I wonder how many will be left available now.