Reaction score
hello, im on the market for a trophy, just looking atm, wont be till may till have cash in pocket

i see on the 1st price a price has been put up for a refurb, in 2008, does the same price still stand?

do the shocks need doing every X amount of miles ? when looking to buy one should i be looking for paper work of this being done at some point in the cars life?

thanks

Reaction score
There are a few options for prices these days, BG Motorsport being the most expensive, there's a lot of people using cornering force in yorkshire who are also quite a bit cheaper and will powder coat them for you too around £350 all in I think!

Reaction score
I am booked in to get my dampers refurbed by Simon at Cornering Force in a few weeks. I hear very good things about his service on here and he seemed very clued-up on the phone, so I'm hoping for a good outcome!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I am booked in to get my dampers refurbed by Simon at Cornering Force in a few weeks. I hear very good things about his service on here and he seemed very clued-up on the phone, so I'm hoping for a good outcome!

Do you know if he has access to the re-designed valve assembly? (I think)

Reaction score
Go for the powder coating and anodising worth the extra cost when I got mine done.

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't change the colour if your looking to sell the car at some point people know what colour the Sachs are supposed to be and it might put them off............

Reaction score
Oh and just a thought have people who de pinned there's noticed them wearing more? As when I picked up my custom rear Koni's from the place that rebuilt mine they said don't do that as it really kills them. They work on loads of race and rally cars and are an Ohlins dealer so IMHO know there stuff.

Reaction score
Had mine de pinned but have not noticed any more wear but then again they have only been on for about 2-3 months. Not sure how de pinning them will wear them even more unless your changing the dampening all the time.

Reaction score
Go for the powder coating and anodising worth the extra cost when I got mine done.

I would have loved to get them powder coated as mine are looking a bit sorry for themselves, but I am working to a very tight timeline that day. Simon has very kindly agreed to turn my dampers around in a day, but could not get them powder coated as well in that timeframe.

I guess it'll have to be a job for when I have more time available!

Reaction score
Had mine de pinned but have not noticed any more wear but then again they have only been on for about 2-3 months. Not sure how de pinning them will wear them even more unless your changing the dampening all the time.

I'm not honestly sure the only things I can think of is that dirt can get in where the pin was removed or as the shocks can move more freely any dirt on the pistons will do more damage. He basically told me to leave mine well alone.

Reaction score
From what i gather Simon at Cornering Force depins them so he is able to dyno them both up to be a matched pair, he then threads the hole where the pin would be and uses a grub screw to fill the hole / secure the adjuster in place. I can't see any harm in depinning this way.

Reaction score
The only thing i would add about cornering force is that if your dampers need new shafts,

And some will by now the only place that can supply them is BG i was told by simon.

Ive gone for the full works rebuild at BG with new compression adjusters and dyno test

they returned them to me stripped so i could get them blasted and coated in a near as i could original

colour.

On a side note has anyone had new rears through ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Has anyone found a source of new dust guards for the front Sachs dampers? Renault apparently don't sell them

I just wondered what you guys do about replacing the old worn ones when refitting newly refurbed shocks ?

As we all know dirt and grit is the shafts worst enemy.

Reaction score
If I get mine unpinned can you make the damper feel softer/better ride quality for normal road use or is the difference too small to notice?

Reaction score
If I get mine unpinned can you make the damper feel softer/better ride quality for normal road use or is the difference too small to notice?
Equally, if I do get them unpinned and matched to the standard 20 clicks, and later decide to set to 0 clicks myself for a 'softer' ride, I guess I risk not having a matched set as it has been posted that one person required 18 and 22 clicks for a middle damping match.
For example, i may need 0 and 4 for a soft setting match?

Reaction score
Equally, if I do get them unpinned and matched to the standard 20 clicks, and later decide to set to 0 clicks myself for a 'softer' ride, I guess I risk not having a matched set as it has been posted that one person required 18 and 22 clicks for a middle damping match.
For example, i may need 0 and 4 for a soft setting match?

Just seen this question is addressed in another thread. Sorry. Guess I will have to ask for them to be matched in a soft setting and then leave them alone. has anyone done this and did they notice a difference. Car will be road use only. Cheers

Reaction score
I checked mine after buying the car yesterday, i had two hairy moments on the way home in the wet, the rear passenger side when your taking a right hand corner feels very light,

heres how my front right damper looked

530fb9bd05ad2f786c238fe1856725bc_zpsa5f68640.jpg

after a clean:

53dd728c47b9a168b393b55432b6c593_zps9ecfad90.jpg