Reaction score
Cheers jon.

for anyone who has had to have their shafts replaced beacuse they were scored, was the scoring visibly noticiable or could you feel it?

Reaction score
When mine was replaced, I knew nothing about it. Couldn't see it, but then again, I wasn't looking for it as I'd not heard much about it before.

Reaction score
I obviously jinxed it. 2 new shafts required. Total cost ....£700

Im going to go and cry somewhere

Reaction score
If I had known prior to sending them to BG, then yes I probably would have done, also I would have sold my old ones as 'in need of rebuild' and would have felt pretty bad for the guy buying them!

Plus new pair is still around £950 I think from wests renault on CS

Reaction score
Sam - did you have any symptoms to suggest that new shafts are required?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I know it has been mentioned on here already but I cant find it, does anyone know what the weight of the dampers are? Need to organise my postage today however forgot to weigh them before I left for work this morning! Cheers

For Information stripped dampers (no springs or top mount) are exactly 6kgs each.

Reaction score
Sam - did you have any symptoms to suggest that new shafts are required?

Well when I sent them off one of the dampers seemed fine but the other was completely gone, the shaft would almost go down on its own weight. On this damper you could only see in certain light very very fine lines but they looked more like streak marks, when I was running my finger over them as well I could not feel anything.

Reaction score
If I had known prior to sending them to BG, then yes I probably would have done, also I would have sold my old ones as 'in need of rebuild' and would have felt pretty bad for the guy buying them!

Plus new pair is still around £950 I think from wests renault on CS

Renault Wolverhampton £450 each inc VAT

Reaction score
Also, I mentioned cliosport.net as they give members discount.

That be via T21ads i assume?

Also, some further info re: refurbs from BG below:

My original email:

Another year, another damper refurb needed ... this time on my 2nd Trophy, a miley one with 183k on it.

What sort of ballpark figures are we talking for a refurb of the front two Sachs these days?

BG response:

There isn’t a ‘standard’ charge to re- build as such as it really depends on the condition of the struts. Most of the sets I’ve seen work out to cost around £430 per pair (Inc VAT and return carriage), this is based on the springs being removed and the dampers cleaned before they arrive here (This can be done here it just adds a little to the total cost). We are starting to see more shafts that are scored and need changing of late, If they need a new shaft/ new shafts then that will add an extra £135 each.

If it is of interest we also offer a compression adjuster upgrade. This involves removing the original adjuster assembly (They are pinned in place on the ‘Trophy’ as standard) and replacing it with a genuine Sachs Race Engineering working assembly. This allows you to adjust the level of compression adjustment either to soften it to make for a more comfortable ride on bumpy B roads or stiffen for more spirited driving conditions. The cost of this adds another £120 (per pair, inc VAT) to the bill

My response:

I would imagine that after all these miles the shafts will probably need redoing (makes sense to anyways whilst they all apart really).

Only problem is that would take it up to £720, when you can buy a pair of new Sachs shocks from Renault for £900!!

Is there any benefit to going for refurb over new, better parts used/longer warranty, etc?

BG Response:

Thanks for the note. It’s your call really, we cannot really warranty the dampers as they are second hand parts just being serviced by us although, we obviously cover our work.

The parts we use are original Sachs parts apart from the lower gas caps which we have developed a dual seal cap which I am hoping to have available again in the next week or so. This we hope will alleviate some of the issues we see in the dampers loosing gas pressure.