Reaction score
If i needed to rebuild both shocks would it still be worth buying the car
The guy wants 4k for the car it's done 65k will full service history tbelt done and moted till aprill and taxed till October
Cars has a few scuff but overall in good condition????

Reaction score
Only you can make that choice. Worst case is it'll cost £800 for a full rebuild, two new pistons and the dampers unpinning. However you can buy brand new ones from renault for £500 a piece.

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the advice
Another quick question sorry is 4000 a good price for a car of this miles?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
FYI, Mine is on 61k and I am about to replace the shocks. However they showed no signs of leakage when inspected in December, and still feel great to drive on.

I'm replacing them as a preventative maintenance measure, just as many people got refurbs around the 40k mark.

Reaction score
Aucky.
are you replacing with new genuine units? have you got a delivery date yet.

Thats a good plan as at least you will get the 12 months parts warranty on genuine Renault items :)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Just the one???

Went for the one just incase the refurb cost is too high to fix my nearside damper. May still keep a brand new pair in the event that mine fail further down the line.

Both sides should be in within days I think if ordered.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Right looks like my nearside shock has failed due to something scoring the piston so will need to keep an eye going forwards on the arch area.

Ben was confident in his previous refurb as the offside damper was spot on for almost 2 years in age.

A fair resolution agreed so hopefully will get my car back on the road next week.

Thanks

Reaction score
Damper rebuilds vary depending on what is needed. New dampers are just shy of £500 each for the fronts.

Refurb's will be cheaper than buying new. but sometimes you'll only save £200 on buying new if you get everything replaced on the dampers. IE Unpinned, both piston rods replaced, full oil, gas and new seals etc.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
SAM_1016.JPGSAM_1017.JPG

Got mine back today and thought I would add a couple of pictures! As per my previous post the offside damper was as good as when it left BG in May 2010. The piston was returned along with the guide and must say the scoring was not as bad as I was expecting. The scoring looks very minor but I have no idea how this would affect the internals.

The total bill was under £300 for the refurb of the nearside damper with a fair discount in labour ;-)

Refurb of the NS damper included piston rod guide, piston rod, damper oil, 2 O rings and 1 piston seal strip.

Not bad all round and a day off tomorrow to get the 'beast' back on its feet.

Reaction score
Did you not have the seals and caps replaced again?

Everything on both of mine mine has being done again, free of charge.

I'll update this tomorrow when I probably get them back.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Did you not have the seals and caps replaced again?

Everything on both of mine mine has being done again, free of charge.

I'll update this tomorrow when I probably get them back.

Remind me when yours were last refurbed?

Mine must have had some dirt / grit that worked its way inside and scored the piston hence the leak. This is not the fault of BG hence the work was not carried out free of charge.

The adjustable dials were both replaced in May 2010 so would not warrant replacement at this stage of their life.

If you get a receipt showing the work for you has been carried out FOC would be interested in seeing a copy.....

Reaction score
August 2011. Covered 4k since then.

I've not had them back, but last time they had a full service including unpinning and a new piston road on the drivers side.

I've been informed by Ben that the gas seal had cracked on the passenger side damper causing it to fail within such a short time.

BOTH dampers have had new seals, oil, gas and dials replaced even though they were done in August 2011. BOTH dyno tested and balanced to match out of piece of mind. Obviously this has been done at Ben's expensive with the intention of being reimbursed from SACHS due to their provided part failing in such a short time.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Quite different to my situation, mine has covered anything around 20,000 miles and dampers nearly 2 years old since the last refurb. The offside damper was dynoed free of charge and both matched FOC.

Glad you got yours sorted, should be 'as new'!

Reaction score
Has anybody actually been to a Renault parts dept recently and got a price on a new front damper? I know Jon says just shy of £500 but just want to check this is correct as mine may need two new rods.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Has anybody actually been to a Renault parts dept recently and got a price on a new front damper? I know Jon says just shy of £500 but just want to check this is correct as mine may need two new rods.

Work next door to a main dealers - they quoted around £700 each. Wests Renault (Tom) on Clio Sport can do them for £470 (ish) each corner and have a quick lead time.

Cheers

Reaction score
Cor blimey, cheers for that, I'll get in touch with him if they do need changing.