Reaction score
Many thanks.

As discussed in this thread, I had to take up this rebuild service.

Ben at BG Motorsport turned my dampers round in about two working days, and is charging me about £350 inc VAT and return carriage, in other words about 1/8 of the cost of a new pair fitted by Renault (excluding carriage there, and removal/refit costs if you're a lazy/thick sod like me and you pay someone else to do it).

They are now (his words) as good as new.

His communication throughout has been excellent, and the fact that I only gave him a few days' notice of needing the service was even better.

Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up info Johnny =D>
Out of interest how much did BG charge to remove and refit the dampers? Was it mega bucks?

Reaction score
Done at my local (to work) garage who haven't billed me yet, will let you know. However, not only are they a little independent, but because of my fleet of vans I'm their best customer of many years standing (plus we get on really well) so it may be a bit cheaper than, ooh, a Renault dealer would charge. :lol:

Reaction score
Johnnytheboy said:
Many thanks.

As discussed in this thread, I had to take up this rebuild service.

Ben at BG Motorsport turned my dampers round in about two working days, and is charging me about £350 inc VAT and return carriage, in other words about 1/8 of the cost of a new pair fitted by Renault (excluding carriage there, and removal/refit costs if you're a lazy/thick sod like me and you pay someone else to do it).

They are now (his words) as good as new.

His communication throughout has been excellent, and the fact that I only gave him a few days' notice of needing the service was even better.

Well done, first of many me thinks??

Top bloke & full of information.

Worth the weeks searching :D

Reaction score
I don't happen to have a fleet of vans but maybe I can borrow the fleet sometime to get a discount :lol:

Thanks for the info, its nice to know Renault can't rip off joe public on this one

Reaction score
Hi Fellow Trophy Owners,

I am having big problems with my driver side front Sachs damper.. and need some advice what to do.

I would like to say that these evidently these hi-spec (good fun) dampers have only lasted about 35000 miles and that is without day tracks. I do understand that we do have bad roads but in my mind this is very low mileage.

Initially, Renult new about the problem before the warrenty had finished but it was not possible for the car to be booked in to the garage to get checked by mechanic before the warrenty had ended. Therefore renault held their hands up and said we are not touching it because we did not diagnosed the problem when warrenty for the car was still valid (3days out). (BUT THEY KNEW ABOUT THE PROBLEM BECAUSE I HAD REPORTED IT)

They eventually quoted the price fitted of £1500. I was not to please as you can imagine.

The situation now is that the car should be fixed as soon as possible but how do I go about this.

I think the seal has gone and the oil has drained.

1. Is a refurb a good option by the guys in Silverstone (yes. I would do both at the sametime). I have been told in the past not to refurb suspension. Dont know why.
2. Buy 1 new damper and get the setup so that they are equal since they are adjustable.
3. Search for breaker yard to find a crashed trophy and use it as a doner.
4. Does anyone know of any spare dampers anywhere.
5. Suggestion are very welcome.
6. Does any one have a good contact in Renault that may be able to help my case.

Renault has really stood back and have not helped one bit which is bloody rediculous in my mind with such a low mileage car.

Please help an angry unhappy owner wanting to be able to drive his trophy properly.
Regards,
jsthomson.

Reaction score
I had the same problem with the near side front. I had 1 week left on my warranty so promptly went to Renault to diagnose the problem. The garage had the Renault Minute service, however still had to book the car in 2 days later for a technician to look at. So much for the Renault's on the spot "minute" service!! The fault was diagnosed within the warranty but the car was with them for a further week and half to order the parts in and to fit it. It wasn't covered under warranty as is classed as a wear and tear item. I got in contact with Renault Customer Services regarding the premature wear (30k miles) but they said that there was no way of establishing how the car was treated in the past (I'm the 2nd owner). However after a bit of negotiation and due to my past history of Renault Clio ownership, they offered to stump up 70% of the cost for replacement, which worked out that I had to pay for £346.00 which I stumped up. At least this meant that the new damper would be covered with a further 12 months warranty.

In hindsight perhaps it would have been better to have the damper referbed. For the price of the replacement I could have had both front dampers referbed. However, this would mean my car would be out of action for 3 days, or extra cost of cheaper 182 Cup dampers while the Sachs were referbed. If I were you, I'd go the referb route, and/or get 182 cup dampers or cheap coilovers while you have this done.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Personally i would go the refurb route as i wouldn't like the idea that one may be slightly different than the other, i certainly wouldn't put a second hand one on without that being refurbed first either, get them both off, refurbed and realigned when you refit and it'll be as good as new.

Reaction score
^^^^^ something that future buyers may perhaps need to consider when they're looking...

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Definitely get them refurbed.

Re being told not to refurbish dampers, i can only assume that whoever told you wasn't being specific about the Trophy's Sachs dampers as they are designed to be refurnished - they're a motorsport damper - hence the high replacement price.

If the turnaround is only a day or two then this is a lot better than i was thinking possible - for some reason i was thinking it would take weeks.....

I think to get 40k+ out of them is not bad going really as the CEO of Renaultsport thought they wouldn't last more than two years or 36k iirc.

Reaction score
Thanks Guys/Girls for help...

I have emailed BGmotorsport and will be getting them refurbed. I can only hope that the drivers side damper is not too damaged.

I will keep you guys/girls posted and will be hopefully screeming around the country roads up here in the highlands soon.

jsthomson

Reaction score
My dampers are back on, hooray!

First reactions: the dampers are shinier!

The car feels very stiff and fidgety at low speed, but this most probably is because I'm paying more attention to the ride than normal. At higher speeds it feels a lot more planted than it had of late.

Silly courier sent my dampers to the wrong depot yesterday, so they only arrived today, and I really needed the car reassembling by this PM. I was a nervous wreck all morning waiting to hear that they'd turned up at the garage. When they rang me at 14:00 it was to tell me it was all ready. They hadn't rung me earlier just to wind me up, the b@stards!

Reaction score
Good to hear that the refurb worked well.

I've been in contact with Ben from BG Motorsport and he's been a great help offering up loads of advice.

Should be sending my dampers away to him soon and will let you all know how it goes.

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have finally got my dampers done by BG Motorsport (Ben)... I should have them back by Thursday morning ish(Yipeeeee)...Can't wait

I will give a full report when I refit them.

jsthomson

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I've just bought and am waiting to collect a trophy. Really excited as I had a 172 cup a couple of years ago which I always regretted selling.. Anyway. The car has done 50k miles and am thinking it would be good practice to have the dampers at least dynoed. Does anyone know of a recommended mileage. I did read on this thread of 36k?

Nick.