Reaction score
Hello,

I have stumbled across this forum and hopefully you guys can give me some advice.

My current weekend toy is a Lotus Elise but I am contemplating swapping it for a Trophy as we have a baby due next year and need something my wife can use day to day but which is still good fun if I manage to nick the keys. I am keen to get something which I can venture on track with.

I have not had a test drive in a Trophy yet, my local dealer has one but offered me a go in a 182 instead (they are worried out putting miles on the Trophy?????). I had a short run in a 182 today and it seemed pleasant enough. Didn't get to check the handling but judging by the fact a Trophy managed to glue itself to the bumper of my Elise at the w/e I doubt they are slow.

I would be interested to hear how the Trophy compares to the 182/182 Cup - does it feel more special? Coming from an Elise I want something that makes you smile before the key is turned.

I appreciate there are only a few new Trophy's available but would have thought the dealers are now keen to shift them before they start coming onto the second hand market - what sort of deals have people managed to acheive? When did they first come available?

Has anyone else made a similar swap?

Thanks

Reaction score
I have driven my mates 111R on numerous occasions, last outing was knockhill circuit and then drive back to Belfast. It is much faster and you have more cornering options on a circuit but then he paid 30k and has no back seat. On B roads the Trophy is as much fun and it does put a smile on your face.

Understeer is minimal and the handling is excellent. I have never owned the 182/182 cup but EVO rated them very highly. I bought the Trophy for fun with the back seat option and will do some track days in Europe next year.

I love Elises and this is as close as you will get if you need a back seat. Go for the Trophy as suspension is superior due to sachs dampers etc and recaro seats are great. Much better comfort than Elise. I have just completed 2000 miles in the Trophy and for driving pleasure versus costs and practicality it is unbeatable. Most of us paid 13 to 13.5k for our cars.

Reaction score
Hi jh106

I swapped my vx220 turbo (an elise with a Vauxhall badge as you know) for my Trophy and I haven't been disappointed at all. I did quite a few trackdays in the VXT and was hoping the Trophy wouldn't be a step back which im delighted to say it wasn't. The similarities in handling between the two for me are striking. Im talking primarily about steering and chassis feel and information being given to the driver which is exemplary. Obviously there are big differences as well but in the main that is down to the front/rear wheel drive issue. If you make the change you can be smug knowing you have changed from the best handling RWD car to the best handling FWD car. I too drove the standard 182 before the Trophy and in my opinion the Trophy is far superior not to mention a much better, lower seating position with big ol' Recaros. The 182 Cup is closer still to the Trophy but for around the same price you should definitely get the Trophy which im sure will have a better resale value as well.

Reaction score
A good friend of mine got a 182 for just this situation. I'd consider driving both a 182 and the Trophy if I were you. I am wondering if the suspension may be just a tad firm for the little one in a Trophy.

I tell you what, you can have my Trophy for your Elise! ;)

Reaction score
Last year at the events I did (Wiscombe Hillclimb and Dunkeswell sprint) the best Elises (180 plus bhp and well sorted) were at least a match for the best Westfields so as to give you a baseline, but at the September events they were all beaten by a Mk1 Golf GTI, so a FWD car can deliver. At Wiscombe, a Clio Williams was also very competitive, so there should be no reason why a Trophy should not be up there. I aim to start the season in standard form and then decide on what mods will give the best results. As I have mentioned elsewhere the only proper track tyres in 205/45x216 are limited to Kumho and Hankook (which are too hard) so you might need to go down to 15" wheels to get a decent tyre.

As a general observation I am sure that you will find the Clio's higher CoG is evident, the way it settles inot a corner is completely different, even if predictable and precise, it does lack the finesse of the Elise. It also tends to heave a bit in roll and the ride is firm albeit not too harsh. Up to 4,000 noise levels, if they bother you, are surprisingly low which does help on a long journey.

The main pbservation is that it is probably the best performing of all the hot hatches and at the same time the best value. Also good deals can be done!!

Reaction score
There is no question that you will be amused by a Trophy, they are hilarious to drive :)

I had a Clio 182 with a cup pack before I bought a Trophy, and I found that they are very different. The suspension is harder, but really changes the handling for the better (not taken the Trophy on track yet). If you like the 182, you will like the Trophy and I can't imagine that the ride would be any firmer than in an elise, but it is a consideration.

Sounds like you are seriously considering it, so the dealer should have no problem letting you drive their Trophy for a few miles. I didn't buy from the first garage I went to because they didn't have one I could drive, it just depends how badly they want to sell it. At least then you can make an informed decision.

Reaction score
Thanks Guys.

As suggested I think I really need a drive in order to compare.

Another question though - the brakes on the 182 I drove felt over servoed. This may just be me as I am used to firm brakes - is there a fix for this or is it something you get used to?

the cage - I take it your comments are from a safety viewpoint? Is this because the clio is a relatively small car or do they score badly in impact tests etc?

Reaction score
The clio has 4 star in the encap tests. But it wouldnt compare to a megane in a crash (5 stars and bigger). The megane would be alot safer. Its bigger and stronger. Any small car will just disintegrate on impact.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Megane is a big step forward, but as far as small cars go, the Mk2 Clio is still one of the safest. Apart from some of the new generation of 5 star supermini's like the new Mk3 Clio, there's not much else of it's size I'd rather be in.

Reaction score
Well thats true Nik, but its a bit like saying id rather be hit by atom bomb rather than a hydrogen bomb. Either way your dead.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well true, although I tend to see the Fiat Seicento as the Atom Bomb of the car crash world.

fiat_seicento_2000.jpg
fiat_seicento_2000_d.gif

In comparison with that, the Clio seems a nice place to be in a crash! :p

There have been a few fairly big accidents with clio owners on other forums over the last few years and the Clio's have held up suprisingly well. Particularly when they are rolled... :?