hyb

Reaction score
Hello boys and girls, I'm back again on the lookout for a Trophy, let me know if you know of any gooduns! :)

Who's still around from the original days?

Reaction score
Welcome back! I'm not exactly an absolute original owner, but was certainly present when you frequented this forum before :)

Reaction score
There's still a few old timers on here. Trophy's seem to be coming up for sale constantly at the moment. Shouldn't take too long to find a good one.

Reaction score
Mine is for sale. 2 owners (including me), 62k, Sachs refurb done and all belts as well as FSH.

It also has the Miltek and decat (with original CAT supplied).

Yours for £6,200.

Rex

Reaction score
i'm still around although the trophy is gone, i'm using my wifes old R27 at the moment while i think about my next move...i've found a trophy in newcastle not on here that i might leave a note on soon.
yeah there's pleanty around, didnt art dealer have a decent one the other week?

hyb

Reaction score
Good to see so many familiar names :D

I'm sort of embarrassed to say what I'm driving now, no idea why i bought it, screw lose at the time so won't mention what it is :)

There's about 5-6 on pistonheads at the moment, just trying to find a mint one with as low miles as possible.

Rex yours sounds a good price, got a for sale page anywhere?

Reaction score
hyb said:
I'm sort of embarrassed to say what I'm driving now, no idea why i bought it, screw lose at the time so won't mention what it is :)

mx5?

Reaction score
... And abnormally driven by everyone else ? So; is Hyb a girl or a hairdresser - or both, and if so why is that embarrasing ? :)

The Dacia, on the other hand, has no such stereotypical constraints, anyone can be embarrased driving one!

Even more keen to know what the car is now...

hyb

Reaction score
Nope nope nope :)

I wouldn't mind that much about an MX5, great drivers car, a bit girly yes, i'd go for another S2000 though If i went down that route.

To be fair it's not a 'bad' car at all, it's just totally against the norm of what I've driven before. I have a Jeep Patriot....*tumble weeds*

At the time of buying I had a 350bhp Astra VXR with a gearbox about to die so wanted to get rid asap and something a bit better mpg. I saw the jeep and thought Meh, never had a big 4x4 thing. I might have been drunk or suffering some sort of illness. Either way it's going

Seems to be much better prices and miles with 182 and cup packs so might have to go that route but the Trophy's look so much better ;(

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Welcome back into the fold hyb, long time no hear... I was only looking at your link to the trophy articles the other week.... hope u bag a good one.

is1

Reaction score
hyb said:

I wouldn't mind that much about an MX5, great drivers car, a bit girly yes, i'd go for another S2000 though If i went down that route.

To be fair it's not a 'bad' car at all, it's just totally against the norm of what I've driven before. I have a Jeep Patriot....*tumble weeds*

At the time of buying I had a 350bhp Astra VXR with a gearbox about to die so wanted to get rid asap and something a bit better mpg. I saw the jeep and thought Meh, never had a big 4x4 thing. I might have been drunk or suffering some sort of illness. Either way it's going

Seems to be much better prices and miles with 182 and cup packs so might have to go that route but the Trophy's look so much better ;(

I (obviously) have a Trophy but no way in hell do they look better than a Racing Blue or Liquid Yellow 182 (nothing to do with the loudness of those colours BTW).
I think they got the colour badly wrong with the Trophy. It's a random red unless someone tells me otherwise.
Ever wondered why the Williams is so disctinctive? Yes, it's the name of the F1 team BUT it's the gold wheels and blue body colour scheme that made it disctinctive and referred to the F1 team at the time. I know the F1 team had nothing to do with the car.
The Trophy should have been a Renault "signature" colour - blue or yellow or a classic motorsport colour, say, white.

Reaction score
is1 said:
hyb said:

I (obviously) have a Trophy but no way in hell do they look better than a Racing Blue or Liquid Yellow 182 (nothing to do with the loudness of those colours BTW).
I think they got the colour badly wrong with the Trophy. It's a random red unless someone tells me otherwise.
Ever wondered why the Williams is so disctinctive? Yes, it's the name of the F1 team BUT it's the gold wheels and blue body colour scheme that made it disctinctive and referred to the F1 team at the time. I know the F1 team had nothing to do with the car.
The Trophy should have been a Renault "signature" colour - blue or yellow or a classic motorsport colour, say, white.

It's a very nice shade of red and with the grey speedlines, silvery Trohpy decals + V6 spoiler is more than distinctive to make is look special yet not be in your face. It's perhaps not the obvious colour combo but that I think that is a good thing.

is1

Reaction score
It's all subjective to be honest. I always think of white as the classic "base" motorsport colour.
I don't really like capsicum red (it sort of works as a package) but doesn't really excite.
I do wonder what it would have looked like in white with the contrasting anthracite wheels, the dark coloured grills, a dark/carbon coloured Trophy sticker on each sill - just ice cool and sinister and would create a raw "track-day" look with the Recaros per Porsche GT3 etc. which is the sort of image the Trophy was aiming for I suspect.

It's all healthy debate though as the reality is there was probably plenty of red paint left somewhere in the factory!