Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
TheJesus said:
02 WRX... corrcet me if i'm wrong, but are they not only a measly 215bhp and weigh in at 1385kg's? unless it's the blobeye, which has 6 more bhp and a weighs even more... sorry, i've been out in these, my mate has a modified one and another has a classic also modded (filter and exhaust on both cars, no decat downpipe's)... you wouldn't even know they were both Impreza's, the classic blows the modern scooby into the weeds, but neither are particularly amazing, they just 'feel' fast. As for handling, you don't go into bends quick in a scooby, not base model ones anyway, i'm sure the RA's etc can, but base model impreza's are scary throwing them into bends... the grip is insane, too good as they just understeer like hell and there's no adjustability as it's a ballache to get that bit of oversteer you need...
I'd bet a none tight engined Trophy would be quicker from standing to 100 and embarrass it from a roll.

having owned both cars doesn't really give you a good idea of each cars capabilities, my mate thought his classic would be quicker than my modified Clio... I had 2 passengers and him on his own couldn't get past until silly speeds (pvt road of course!)... then I reeled him back in again as he only managed to pull a car at best... this one was RR'd at RC Developments at 256bhp ATF by the way.

Thats the funniest thing ive read all day :lol:

Reaction score
King Stromba said:
Ive alays thought Scoobys make good cars for people who cant drive. If you can drive, they are even better.

Statistically you are 80% less likely to crash in the winter months if you drive a 4wd ca over a 2wd car. Think about that.

Yup, i'd agree with that to a degree, they are very easy to drive quick, just dont expect anything clever from the base models. I've driven a few different Scooby's and had a go against a few different types, Classic usually beat or smoke me, although fairly standard UK classics are more than fair game... newer MY01 and beyond models are crap unless STI spec with 300+ bhp.

What's the percentage for likelyhood of crashing in winter full stop though? I love stats, they mean so much yet so little.

Reaction score
Nice work!
Ive had a run against a 02 plate wrx and my cup stayed with it...and i cant drive!
I did have my ass handed to me by a 03 plate M3 tho. I let him past me and tried to keep up but no good. By the time i was at !20 it was gone.
I was 3 up tho!

Reaction score
I close friend of mine has a new WRX Impreza, totally standard, and i have followed him down the country roads a couple of times now, it is impossible to keep up with it, only time i can catch it is when he drops out of boost or under heavy breaking.

I find it hard to belive that the Trophy was quicker on the twistys than a Impreza.

Saying that when i first got the car in sept time, i gave a M3 a run for its money down a couple of deserted back roads near where i live, once he got the power down he was pulling on me, but in the corners he couldnt get the power down quick enough. But that is a RWD car as apposed to a 4WD rally bred beast.

Reaction score
SteveC said:
I find it hard to belive that the Trophy was quicker on the twistys than a Impreza.

Don't forget that on 1st and 2nd gear slow twisties and stop/start roads the WRX is seldom in boost territory...

I'm not talking about fast roads guys - we rarely got above 40 and never broke the law... it was purely a grip/low rpm comparison.

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
a B road blast is entirely dependant on on the drivers ability and size of their balls/ego's.

B roads are where the fun is at, but if you want to just compare the two cars purely on straight line performance there's no better test than having a rolling start against one, or even standing... if you get the chance. I'd find it hard to believe a WRX with 215bhp or 221bhp weighing almost bang on 1400kg's could be as quick, let alone faster than a run in 182, be it standard or Trophy. for handling there are too many variables, would have to be same driver in both cars, but equal experience of each, but I suppose the reason scooby's can be driven fast is for the reason Stromba said, it's an idiots car. It really is though, point the front end at the exit of the corner, power down... only problem is you cant really enter a corner with too much speed due to crap turn in and severe understeer from the car having too much grip.

whoever it was that is going back to a scooby wont be disappointed though, they do feel very fast... but ignore that and watch the speedo... it's dreadfully pathetic, don't be surprised when hot hatches are overtaking you, backing off, toying with you before taking the piss completely and just plain leaving you.

hyb

Reaction score
Anything under 70 I'd say the wrx would have the trophy, only negative I'd say with the wrx i had was after 70 it was gutless, as if the boost didn't do anything

Reaction score
TheJesus said:
a B road blast is entirely dependant on on the drivers ability and size of their balls/ego's.

B roads are where the fun is at, but if you want to just compare the two cars purely on straight line performance there's no better test than having a rolling start against one, or even standing... if you get the chance. I'd find it hard to believe a WRX with 215bhp or 221bhp weighing almost bang on 1400kg's could be as quick, let alone faster than a run in 182, be it standard or Trophy. for handling there are too many variables, would have to be same driver in both cars, but equal experience of each, but I suppose the reason scooby's can be driven fast is for the reason Stromba said, it's an idiots car. It really is though, point the front end at the exit of the corner, power down... only problem is you cant really enter a corner with too much speed due to crap turn in and severe understeer from the car having too much grip.

whoever it was that is going back to a scooby wont be disappointed though, they do feel very fast... but ignore that and watch the speedo... it's dreadfully pathetic, don't be surprised when hot hatches are overtaking you, backing off, toying with you before taking the **** completely and just plain leaving you.

don't get me wrong, the clio trophy is probably the best front wheel drive hot hatch car in its class, but is no match against a subaru wrx.I have lived with both cars and can
definitely enter my favourite B road twisties mutch faster in speed(mph) than I could in the clio.the subaru does install loads of confidence I agree, but still needs to be driven like any other performance car.I think at speed the two cars competing you would need to take more chances in the clio than the subaru.( only my opinion through my driving experience with both cars.

brian 8)

Reaction score
brian, agree in a sense that 4WD cars do give you bags more confidence, but having the rear wheels also driving you is very deceptive of what the car's actually doing imo. place an experienced driver in each and i'd be betting on the Trophy.

Reaction score
Jesus, I wouldnt bet on a Trophy until youve driven one / faced one on track. Remember, there is no 'evidence' in the real world against other clios yet. 'On paper' the 172 / 182 package should be quicker than a williams, but Andys 14.9 quater miles standard shows that they arnt. Other hybrids have dipped into the 14's too, pretty much on stock engines. As the Trophy is not really quicker than a standard 182 in a straight line, i cant see it being any quicker on the 1/4 than a normal 182. As for the track, well time will tell.

People can throw book figures all they like but fact is there is no evidence yet to know if the Trophy is that quick. Until it faces the Mk1's we wont know. At the moment the Williams is the bench mark.

As for a scooby, well the only scooby i have been in extesively in a P1. That is what i call a playstation car. Hammer it into a turn, slam on the brakes, turn and floor it. My mum could drive it quick. The grip is just unreal. It just turns and grips.

Reaction score
As Ollie has quite rightly pointed out, certain professional writers have written that the Clio Trophy is the bench mark.

I have driven the Williams, and it is a lovely car, very touqee, and a lovely drive, But it is an old car and this shows in the mechanical aspects of the car ie suspension, engine managment etc.

KS you seem to be stuck in your own little world where what you say must go. Alot of the things that you say are very true, but you must relise that at the end of the day we all drive Clios, and just because the Trophy has now become the new Limited Edition Clio, it doesnt make it any better than the Williams.

Look at each car on its own merits.

The Williams was in its time an absoulty amazing car, which even today will outhandle and out perform some of the so called hot hatchs been made by the likes of Citreon, Ford, Peugeot.

The Trophy is also a superb car handles like its on rails, it has a suberp VVT set up and will aslo out perform any of the other hot hatchs around at the moment.

I will be honest all this talk about your Willams been better at this and that, and how you recon that just becuase the Trophy doesnt have any real life figures that it will be crap on the track/ 1/4mile. Is starting to wear off now.

I bought my Trophy because i wanted to, not becuase some jumped up little no it all told me what it can do and cant do. I enjoy my Trophy for what it is.

ALL OF THIS IS MY OWN OPIONION IF THIS HAS CAUSED ANY OFFENCE I APOLIGIES IN ADVANCE.

Reaction score
Why is it that as soon as real world results are mentioned Mk2 owners get defensive?

Anyone can live in fantasy magazine land. Its nice and safe and warm there. But the harsh reality is that standard williams regularly dip into the 14's at the 1/4 mile. Whether you like it or not thats the reality. The same occurs on track. The fastest clio's are usually the mk 1's.

I may be proved wrong, the Trophy may be faster. Im still waiting for someone to take on my challenge of Trophy v standard Williams. No one does. I wonder why? I did the same challenge to 182 owners when they started raving about that, and still no 182 has beaten the fastest williams times down the strip or on the track.

Until that occurs i dont think its right to claim the Trophy is the bench mark. It isnt.

:wink:

Reaction score
well the only Trophy I have seen (moving that is) was Nik's at Donny, but I don't know how much he was booting it, almost certain I went past him a few times in the afternoon, but it's impossible to tell anything from that really. plus my car's lightly modified...
they should be as quick as any other 182, it's the same car only lighter anyway I thought? give them time to bed in properly, at 30k we'll start seeing some quick ones putting in the times I reckon.
based on the reasoning that a 182 is faster than a WRX on the move (and from standing to 100 according to most articles :eek: ) I'd similarly imagine the Trophy to be the same though.

Reaction score
Has a STANDARD williams ever recorded better than 14.6?

There are 172's that have done...... only a handful, but I guess if you can class a few Northeners cars as 'regular' then I guess I can too...... How many STANDARD cars are there that regularily get in to the 14's? 3? 4?

I have to concur that I haven't seen any eveidence of really quick 182's yet...... Either they don't get 1/4 miled as much... or there simply aren't any... lol

I'm sure once the mileage gets higher then we will maybe see some quick ones. Having said that a 172 Cup has done a 14.5 @ 95 mph with only 5000 miles on it!! :shock:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
King Stromba said:
Why is it that as soon as real world results are mentioned Mk2 owners get defensive?

Anyone can live in fantasy magazine land. Its nice and safe and warm there. But the harsh reality is that standard williams regularly dip into the 14's at the 1/4 mile. Whether you like it or not thats the reality. The same occurs on track. The fastest clio's are usually the mk 1's.

I may be proved wrong, the Trophy may be faster. Im still waiting for someone to take on my challenge of Trophy v standard Williams. No one does. I wonder why? I did the same challenge to 182 owners when they started raving about that, and still no 182 has beaten the fastest williams times down the strip or on the track.

Until that occurs i dont think its right to claim the Trophy is the bench mark. It isnt.

maybe its that nobody actually wants to meet YOU, not your car. I wonder why...... :?

:wink:

Reaction score
King Stromba said:
Im still waiting for someone to take on my challenge of Trophy v standard Williams.

When and where? :D

I guess it could not be done on the roads as you don't condone road racing, and you don't like trackdays either, so where were you planning to have this test?

Reaction score
Maverick, I don't believe any standard 172's have done a 14.6 , they all had exhaust, filter and decat's or one of them. Fastest MK2 was Kev's with just a Pro Speed zorst that ran a 14.6... similarly Craggy's VTS ran a 14.5 with a manifold and exhaust. I really don't think there are many Clio's full stop that have broken into the 14's completely factory standard. Only one I know of was 2 lives that got a 14.800 completely standard with the cat on etc... with an exhaust he also ran a 14.6... In any trim that car has been the fastest 2.0 Clio on standard inlet. but anyway, let's not turn this into another 182 Vs Williams thread, this is about the Trophy and the Scooby which I'm convinced would be the Trophy's scalp... anyone fancy putting it to the test in the name of science? :D

Reaction score
Maverick said:
Has a STANDARD williams ever recorded better than 14.6?

There are 172's that have done...... only a handful, but I guess if you can class a few Northeners cars as 'regular' then I guess I can too...... How many STANDARD cars are there that regularily get in to the 14's? 3? 4?

I have to concur that I haven't seen any eveidence of really quick 182's yet...... Either they don't get 1/4 miled as much... or there simply aren't any... lol

I'm sure once the mileage gets higher then we will maybe see some quick ones. Having said that a 172 Cup has done a 14.5 @ 95 mph with only 5000 miles on it!! :shock:

Sometimes when you go fishing you catch a big one. I guess its my lucky day today. A lesser spotted Maverick. Nice with some chips and vinegar:p

Reaction score
this is very nit picky...there is hardly anything in it really.
As for the williams well its old news as is my cup. The trophy is the new boy in town and deffo has the advantage over the older stock clios.

Status
Not open for further replies.