Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
On the way home this evening I had a WRX (MY01) try to overtake me (not on a motorway).

Through the bends he had no chance... and at the lights he wound down his window to tell me how shocked he was!!

"Do you have a two litre in that thing?? Damn those Clio's are really quick aren't they?" was pretty much what he said!

Don't think he realised that because of the type of road we were on his turbo had not spooled up... he would have slaughtered me on the motorway!

Nonetheless, perked up my evening quite nicely :)

O.

Reaction score
Do you think its a good idea racing in the winter on public roads? If i did that id keep it to myself, not publish it on a public forum.

Reaction score
Clarkson publishes his high speed antics on public roads on a weekly basis; he seems to be doing fine.

Hey everyone i raced a BMW the other day and went over 120 mph, gonna cane me?

Day

Reaction score
Ooooh a racing tale.

I think were mature enough on here so it stays.

Reaction score
King Stromba said:
Do you think its a good idea racing in the winter on public roads? If i did that id keep it to myself, not publish it on a public forum.

Who said I was racing or breaking any laws? You can still be well within the legal limits going through tight roundabouts and back street lanes that have a 60 mph speed limit.

On my daily travels I come across a bend that has a 70 mph limit but there is no way you can doing anything more than 50 or 60 through it.

Don't make assumptions Stromba.

Plus if I were to have an accident I'd rather have it in my '05 Clio than your rust bucket/death trap.

Now go away and stop flaming in my thread (which judging by your history appears to be something you're very good at)! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

O.

Reaction score
OliS said:
oliie said:
Damn those Clio's are really quick aren't they?

Amazing just how many say that once they have been out for a spin or up against an R'sport Clio! :D

Be fair Stromba, isn't this you posting these 'racing' vids - http://cliotrophy.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187 :?: :wink:

I dont think thats the winter, and i wasnt racing i was following. I dont think the speeds ever got over the speed limit. If you look at the vid again, you can see all 3 cars back off when there is any other road users around. I would call that spirited driving. If i felt it was illegal in any way i wouldnt have posted it.

Reaction score
oliie said:
King Stromba said:

Who said I was racing or breaking any laws? You can still be well within the legal limits going through tight roundabouts and back street lanes that have a 60 mph speed limit.

On my daily travels I come across a bend that has a 70 mph limit but there is no way you can doing anything more than 50 or 60 through it.

Don't make assumptions Stromba.

Plus if I were to have an accident I'd rather have it in my '05 Clio than your rust bucket/death trap.

Now go away and stop flaming in my thread (which judging by your history appears to be something you're very good at)! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

O.

Quote 'tried to overtake me'

So one car is trying to get past another? is that not a race? :roll: If you werent racing why post a thread as it proves nothing. Could have posted

'Just pulled away under 3k at the lights next to a AMG mercedes that wasnt trying either' Its obvious you were racing or you wouldnt have posted it.

Hey if you want to race in the winter thats fair enough. Just dont blame me when both cars hit ice, and you end up in a ditch but the scooby doesnt.

As for my Williams which one do you mean? The museum piece with no rust on it? My road car which is as new? Or the track car, which is currently being built to Group N tarmac rally specification? Please be specific or confusion will arise.

Reaction score
King Stromba said:
I dont think thats the winter, and i wasnt racing i was following. I dont think the speeds ever got over the speed limit. If you look at the vid again, you can see all 3 cars back off when there is any other road users around. I would call that spirited driving. If i felt it was illegal in any way i wouldnt have posted it.

The weather hardly seems that great in your vids...I appreciate that you weren't going that fast, unfortunately a limitation of your choice of car! :lol:

I was just making an assumption about your post as it is titled 'Williams-v-Caterham' suggesting it is a race/battle, just like you did with Ollie's post.

I don't want to argue with you KS, I think you are alright, I just wish you would consider making less of your 'pissy/pedantic/know it all' posts and make more of the really good posts - Senna vid, Nik Hill information :D

G

oliie said:
On the way home this evening I had a WRX (MY01) try to overtake me (not on a motorway).

Through the bends he had no chance... and at the lights he wound down his window to tell me how shocked he was!!

"Do you have a two litre in that thing?? Damn those Clio's are really quick aren't they?" was pretty much what he said!

Don't think he realised that because of the type of road we were on his turbo had not spooled up... he would have slaughtered me on the motorway!

O.

Hmmm one of 3 possibilities exists

1. He wasn't trying
2. He was a total muppet - hadn't realised his turbo hadn't spooled up
3. You're full of shit (see above)

Reaction score
Paul D said:
oliie said:

O.

Hmmm one of 3 possibilities exists

1. He wasn't trying
2. He was a total muppet - hadn't realised his turbo hadn't spooled up
3. You're full of **** (see above)

Definately number 2 :)

I wonder if a WRX would carry the same speed into and through a corner as a Trophy? If so then perhaps it would not be a turbo issue but more of a set-up/grip issue...

Bedford track day should help solve the problem... :)

O.

Reaction score
having owned a trophy , and reverting back to a subaru
wrx. I can confirm that the subaru would carry the same and " more" speed into and through a corner as a Trophy.sorry to be blunt but truthful.

brian 8)

Reaction score
I fully agree, having had a '96 Turbo2000 Scooby and a '02 WRX in the past, I would politely suggest that I would back the scooby every time. Maybe he had just been to Tescosand didn't want to spill his satsumas

Reaction score
02 WRX... corrcet me if i'm wrong, but are they not only a measly 215bhp and weigh in at 1385kg's? unless it's the blobeye, which has 6 more bhp and a weighs even more... sorry, i've been out in these, my mate has a modified one and another has a classic also modded (filter and exhaust on both cars, no decat downpipe's)... you wouldn't even know they were both Impreza's, the classic blows the modern scooby into the weeds, but neither are particularly amazing, they just 'feel' fast. As for handling, you don't go into bends quick in a scooby, not base model ones anyway, i'm sure the RA's etc can, but base model impreza's are scary throwing them into bends... the grip is insane, too good as they just understeer like hell and there's no adjustability as it's a ballache to get that bit of oversteer you need...
I'd bet a none tight engined Trophy would be quicker from standing to 100 and embarrass it from a roll.

having owned both cars doesn't really give you a good idea of each cars capabilities, my mate thought his classic would be quicker than my modified Clio... I had 2 passengers and him on his own couldn't get past until silly speeds (pvt road of course!)... then I reeled him back in again as he only managed to pull a car at best... this one was RR'd at RC Developments at 256bhp ATF by the way.

Reaction score
Ive alays thought Scoobys make good cars for people who cant drive. If you can drive, they are even better.

Statistically you are 80% less likely to crash in the winter months if you drive a 4wd ca over a 2wd car. Think about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.