Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
j333evo said:
This "revoknuckle" thing is not a new thing, it's a very similar, though not as complex a set up that the Celica GT4 ST205 used back in 1994 when it came out, it was called "super-strut" and was homologated for the WRC ST205, though it was never used on Safari events, not strong enough, only tarmac events IIRC.

In fact most FWD Celica's sold in Japan had the "super-strut" suspension system. In Europe they employed a cheaper standard Macpherson strut design as European roads are much poorer than Japanese roads meaning the "super-strut" suspension lasted about 70K miles before needing replacing at considerable cost.

that's some good knowledge there...

Reaction score
j333evo said:
This "revoknuckle" thing is not a new thing, it's a very similar, though not as complex a set up that the Celica GT4 ST205 used back in 1994 when it came out, it was called "super-strut" and was homologated for the WRC ST205, though it was never used on Safari events, not strong enough, only tarmac events IIRC.

In fact most FWD Celica's sold in Japan had the "super-strut" suspension system. In Europe they employed a cheaper standard Macpherson strut design as European roads are much poorer than Japanese roads meaning the "super-strut" suspension lasted about 70K miles before needing replacing at considerable cost.

Ah me thinks an old time rally fan :D them were the days!

Reaction score
Yes I do love my old rally cars having a 1992 Lancia integrale EVO1 and having sold my Celica GT4 ST205 to buy the Clio.

It just bemused me lots with all the press going on and on about fecking "revo knuckle" when Toyota did it 16years ago, it's nothing new and the Ford system looking at the schematic diagrams is not even as good complex, though this may be a good thing in terms of longevity.

Ever fecking time I read some magazine saying how revolutionary it was, or some TV programme saying how it made a good job of dealing with torque steer, I felt like writing in (after screaming in frustration) and saying stop spreading this rubbish about and do some proper effing research. Of course subsequently many picked up that Renault had used something similar on the Megane before Fraud had. And Renault on the wave of the publicity generated by this felt the need to name there system when they hadn't before.

I replaced most of my front suspension on my GT4 at about 70K which is normal, though it can last much longer and although I did all the work still came to about £700 for two lower arms, two fig of 8 joints, and one banana arm as only Toyota make the parts, there are no patterns. And the ball joints Toyota used are massive, way bigger than normal ball joints, a car ball joint splitter doesn't fit as two narrow, a truck one is better, but then Toyota did completely over engineer the ST205 even compared to more modern 4WD cars.

PS I like the Ford RS, but as I'm sure you can see it gets on my tits the wrong information given out about it.

Reaction score
I get the same feeling whenever I read that the diff in the Mk2 Focus RS is a great improvement over the one in the Mk1, as they are exactly the same.

Reaction score
I had a GT4 but a St165 after admiring a young Carlos Sainz! a great car but very expensive on parts as it had turbo trouble blamed firstly on valve timming ,varios sensors,£1400 ecu lots of time at Toyota at £40 per hour (that was in 1989?) I eventually discovered the waste gate had all but disappeared just £1000 from Toyota :shock:

Reaction score
shiftspark said:
I had a GT4 but a St165 after admiring a young Carlos Sainz! a great car but very expensive on parts as it had turbo trouble blamed firstly on valve timming ,varios sensors,£1400 ecu lots of time at Toyota at £40 per hour (that was in 1989?) I eventually discovered the waste gate had all but disappeared just £1000 from Toyota :shock:

A very rare car now the ST165, and highly sought after, though most have rusted away.

Though yes Toyota can be very expensive for parts, and they did decide to make pretty much everything on the car, like the turbo charger 1st twin scroll with ceramic blades (steel in Europe due to lower octane fuel always one to watch on imports) unlike say Ford or Lancia who bought in proven Garrett turbochargers. Or Subaru who use IHI IIRC, could be wrong on that though Mitsubishi use there own but they have been making turbo's for a long time.

Reaction score
I had an Audi Quattro turbo a couple of years back and I thought the gt4 was expensive for parts, the quattro nearly bankrupt me!

Reaction score
Anyway...talking to pm_air about #383 today reminded me that I'd post a pic of the RS when I'd done anything to it, so I present the arrival of the black wheels and vents:

ditchlingnoreg.jpg

Like? Dislike? I think once you've seen the green ones with black wheels, the original silver ones just look wrong.

At two weeks old I killed one of these wheels in a pothole. Think yourself lucky for having nice thick cheap tyres on a Trophy when you hear that a new wheel and tyre cost me £440!

Reaction score
Very very nice- I saw an rs with black wheels just days ago and felt that it set it off really well. Matches nicley with the spoiler and other black sections..