Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Seeing as i have both on the drive at the moment, maybe i should do an official road test / shootout :p

Hmmm.. :-k

Anyone have The Stig's mobile number?

Reaction score
Good idea that man!

Actually, it would be interesting to see some photos of them side by side, rather like an evolution type study..

Reaction score
Nik said:
Seeing as i have both on the drive at the moment, maybe i should do an official road test / shootout :p

Hmmm.. :-k

Anyone have The Stig's mobile number?

I'll get my white race suit out if u like?

:p

Kirsty

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
i think some side by side pics would be rather nice :p might wanna clean da trophy first tho :p hehe!!

mmmmmmm steve white race suit bring it on :wink:

Reaction score
haven't driven both so can't comment.

Personally i prefer the look of the trophy and the press favoured the trophy alot more from the articles I have read too.

I think the trophy was aimed to be the best a hot hatch can possibly be, but I think the R27 and 197 were designed to be alot more comfortable and luxury first (as clios often get criticism in this area) and after this was achieved then they tried to make them as good at handling and as fun as possible, but with the luxury potentially coming first, they could never quite get it to the same hot hatch level as the trophy/182.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Trophy's 'chuckability' with the R27's grip, Trophy's shocks with the R27's space, Trophy's weight with the R27's engine, Trophy's steering rack with the R27's brakes.

That sort of sums up what i thought.

Reaction score
Had a moment with one a few months ago, I think this was before remap and manifold.

Flashed guy out on single road, being nice to fellow clio drivers and all. He wheelspun tyres and flew off. This is a busy road going out of Sunderland; single road, with shops on either side not the time or place to wheelspin!!!

Anyway I thought "hmmmm I ll sit back see how it moves, corners etc". As the road goes into a forty dual carriage way, with a couple of roundabouts that you can take with speed. I sat behind him about 50 metres behind. Whiel he attacked each corner, car looked to be doing well.

Anyway after the dual carriage way their is a larger roundabout which enters onto the local motorway. He had opted for the outside lane, I pulled up next to him in the inside lane. By the way on traffic lights.

He started revvving!!!

I thought, confidently, "i ll take it easy!" - no revving on my part!

He alos had a very nice cap on!

Lights changed he got away a little, I gained traction quickly and by the time I had left the slip road and entered the motorway he was no where to be seen! Kept up but the Trophy left it convincingly.

I am pretty sure from his driver manner he was trying.

Straight line - Trophy winner.

Corners anyone???

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
it's booked as slower to 60 and 100 than a standard 182 so the trophy being slightly lighter than a standard 182 should leave it. When they do a light weight version i think the tide will turn though.

Reaction score
My two pence!!

I reckon they should take the 350z engine and put it into the clio!! A real clio v6 and find some 4x4 technology!!!

In regard to size, I believe that even a stripped out r27 would not be able to keep pace with 182 FF. It is so much bigger, more a golf size car than a super mini.

197 - 1275
182FF - 1090

I really cant see where they can save 185kg from. Any ideas?

amm

Reaction score
Cue said:
the new clio cup cars are quicker than last years.... so it's certainly in there.

i think that you will find that the new clio cups are 3 seconds a lap slower than last years cars

Reaction score
the 182 FF is 1110kg, so it's not a hell of a lot of weight that they have to shed to get similar performance with an extra 15bhp. It's not all about weight though guys, I'm always harping on about it but I'd put on a few pounds to have a car that's more fun to drive. Luckily (and not coincidentally) the most fun cars seem to be the lightest of the bunch (911 GT3 RS, 360 CS, 182 Trophy, DC2 ITR). I think if they sort the steering and shed a few pounds off the 197 it'll knock the competition for six.

Harry mentions the Trophy in his Fast Fleet 197 right-up this month. He comments how his wife wouldn't even get into the Trophy whereas he regularly takes four adults in the 197. It's a more grown up and less compromised car, Might have to look upon the RS Twingo for future old-school thrills from Renault. 160bhp should do the trick in a 980kg car.

Reaction score
Yeah that Twingo does look good.

But hasn't it been reported that the R27 engine has lost a lot of the fizz? A lot of journalists claim that they id not believe it had 197 brake.

Yeah read evo fast fleet made some good points, however, if you want an un-compromised A-B, B road shuttle you would't buy an R27. I think he was a tad un-fair on the wee Trophy, its not a shopping trolley!!

Reaction score
trophy176 said:
Yeah that Twingo does look good.

I said that a while ago, and evryone ignored me :cry:

IIRC It's the Mk2 Clio chassis :twisted: which is a good start, so a less peaky 160hp in a somewhat lighter car may make for a great drive. I'm watching this one.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
amm said:
Cue said:
the new clio cup cars are quicker than last years.... so it's certainly in there.

i think that you will find that the new clio cups are 3 seconds a lap slower than last years cars

so why has anyone upgraded, is it in the rules that you can only compete with the latest car?

Surely to win the championship you'd go for last years then?

Reaction score
Yeah Twingo does look good but I d be siding with Megane for next car (or EVO or JDM civic)

Back on topic - Turbo the R27! It must be big enough to cope with engine size?