Reaction score
Still looking thinking of getting a trophy but after having a look around the 197's are only a little more expensive, and newer model therfore less depreciation more warranty and newer model e.t.c. Anyone have any experience witht eh 197 and how it rates to the trophy?

Although i suppose the only thing close would be the f1 team which is allot more.

I could easily wait a few months to buy so would it be worht the wait?

Greg

Reaction score
197 will definately depreciate more.

i was never interested in the 197 so I brought the trophy, still don't really like the 197 too much now.

2 mates have test driven a 197 - 1 owns a 172 mk1 and said it felt slower in every situation to his mk1, and the other part owns a 182 with his gf, and fairly liked it.

neither have driven the trophy though :wink:

its down to personal preference only you can really answer which one you want

Reaction score
Reaction score
I left a 197 for dead the other week, and as we exited a roundabout it looked to be wobblying like a baby giraffe!!

Trophy all the way you cant go wrong for 10k.

Reaction score
greg131187 said:
and newer model therfore less depreciation

????? :-s :-s :-s :-s :-s :-s

I think you need to take a longer term view!!! A stock 197 will cost you quite a bit more in the long run.

O.

Reaction score
I would have to go with the Trophy.

I've driven the 197, although comfortable it didn't have the precision of the Trophy when cornering or as much of the FUN FACTOR which is what every Trophy owner loves!

the only way to find which one is for you is to test drive both. go in with an open mind and fine the one that suits what you are looking for.

good luck

hyb

Reaction score
It's like the EP3 type-r vs FN3 new type-r. It's the same with all new models, fatter, heavier, slower. I test drove one and hated it. Trophy every time. If you want a few more luxuries then go get a full fat 182

Reaction score
Well said hyb! Saw a new type r in red yesterday very nic but still a fat hefter!

Off to scotland via A68 wish me luck in the wet!!

Reaction score
Well i drive from Bournemouth to Exeter ragularily as i go to UNI in exeter and come back evry other w.e. The roads are twisty with plenty of overtaking points. I currently have a 1.1 c2 which handels very well compared to most hatches but lacks the power, so i think the trophy seems like the one for me!

I have 3 points and have only been driving for 18months so insurance is not the easiest but hey you have to pay for what you want, and i do want one.

Cheers for all the advice

Greg

Reaction score
greg131187 said:
Well i drive from Bournemouth to Exeter ragularily as i go to UNI in exeter and come back evry other w.e. The roads are twisty with plenty of overtaking points. I currently have a 1.1 c2 which handels very well compared to most hatches but lacks the power, so i think the trophy seems like the one for me!

I have 3 points and have only been driving for 18months so insurance is not the easiest but hey you have to pay for what you want, and i do want one.

Cheers for all the advice

Greg

3 points and been driving for 18 months....how old are you?

im 19 and have been driving for 2 years with 2 years NCB and 0 points and i pay 2,700 with mods. If you are my kind of age your quote is going to make my ugly quote look pretty.

you are right tho, you have to pay for what you want...thats what i did!

Reaction score
well i gto quote at 2500 when i have been driving 2 years and touch wood if still have 2 no claims, but for me to have now 6 months early then would be 2900, but insurance is just one of thos things that i will probably not claim out as much as it costs but you need it just in case.

Greg

Reaction score
you wouldn't wanna get caught without insurance and have a tomato crushed!!!!! don't think anyone on here would be happy with that!

Reaction score
Wow that insurance is a killer - im paying £1100 for mine and im 22 with no NCB.

With regards to your question, I think the trophy looks smarter than the 197, and I can't comment on performance because ive never driven the 197.

However what I can tell you is that the Trophy is one hell of a car. It is sooo much fun to drive, and couldn't think of another car in the same price bracket with half the fun! You will always "look forward" to driving the trophy and I think that can be said with everyone on this forum.

Get the Trophy!

Reaction score
I don't know how people justify spending the best part of 3 grand on 12 months car insurance :shock:

I pay £860 and I'm only 21 with 3 years NCB

But anyway, I think everyone on here is gonna say Trophy to be honest mate - the 197 lacks the fun factor of the Trophy. So its a 2.0l hatchback, thats it, theres nothing that stands out about it from the rest. The Trophy has the ability to put a smile on your face every time you hit a B road. :twisted:

If its a Clio you want, the Trophy is the one to have - but as you say it's gonna cost you

Reaction score
Ahem.... £275.00 fully comp.

Suddenly I don't mind being bald and old....

On the plus side, you young fellas are getting whipped for insurance on a car that I would've slammed my pork sword in a door for when I was that age, and had a 1300 Fiesta....