Reaction score
Drove from Surrey to Cornwall late last night, popped in at a private test track on the way and notched up an indicated 141/142mph :)

I had a slight decline in my favour, but I was very impressed with the ease that the Trophy showed in getting to around 135, but as you hit about 138 there seems to be a factor that prevents you getting towards the 150 mark, wondering what it is? :?

DaveG experienced a similar thing (http://cliotrophy.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=567), and as he says the car is only pulling 6,500rpm, maybe a bit over, so there should be something left.

What do you lot think is the limiting factor? I got three ideas, discuss..

1 - Aerodynamics, not enough power to push a Clio shaped brick through the air any faster (this is what I think it is)
2 - ECU - A rev-limiter for fith gear (what DaveG thinks it is)
3 - Gearing

Reaction score
Top speed

Top speed is primarily a function of aerodynamics. Frontal area x CD (coefficient of drag) = CDA and as I notice when parking the Clio next to our other cars it is quite tall. Going one step further top speed (unless the gearing is miles out, which it is not for the Clio) is at a first order of magnitude proportional to the cube root of power - this means for the Clio that an extra 20 bhp will give an extra 5 mph.

Hope this is clear even during the Christmas haze.

Reaction score
OliS said:
What do you lot think is the limiting factor?

Horsepower and a windsreen that is raked such that it makes for a great bookend.

O.

amm

Reaction score
I think you will find that Renault have fitted a top speed limiter i the ecu as some one i know has a 182 and it had still got just under 1 thousand rpm left but the car top out at 140/141 i know they fit one on there vans as my works wan is limited to 90 and will not go over that even down hill with a gust of wind behind me in fact if the van goes over 90 the engine starts to brake you.

have a happy Christmas and a happy new year every body.

:D :D :D :D :D

Reaction score
I doubt very much that it needs a limiter. A claimed 140 mph is good for 175 bhp with a relatively tall and hence large frontal area - also short cars tend to have poorer CD. at the risk of really spoiling the party don't forget that most speedos are very optimistic.

Reaction score
Totally appreciate that speedos can be optimistic, reckon in all reality I was probably only ever doing the 139 that Reno claim the Trophy can do, and not the 140 plus the speedo indicated. Good fun though, whatever the speed actually was :D

Reaction score
Totally, accompanied by a very worrying whistle/hum!

Reaction score
I am going to try the Bosch wiper blades that have an anti-lift shield for the blade, hopefully it will cure the lifting and the noise

Reaction score
OliS said:
I am going to try the Bosch wiper blades that have an anti-lift shield for the blade, hopefully it will cure the lifting and the noise

BUT, make sure you fit the deflector the correct way up. Had them on my pug and the arm lifted at 50, swung round the side of the car and snapped off. In the rain this was not very helpful. Will replace with Bosch blades when time comes, always found them to be very good and non streaky. Last some time too.

Reaction score
Top speed and ignorant prats in car parks

evening all

Just reading this post and wondering what length of private road it takes to get the trophy up to 140. I know today on a limited length of private runway mine only made about 125 indicated and wansn't pullling much more plus i had to ease off.

Plus a really bad week for me and my trophy.. some ingonorant sod/s managed to dent both my doors probabaly in car parks opening doors in the wind i assume. Passanger side looks like a golf ball hit it, really spoils the cars looks. My dad had the same last weekend but fortunately the guy who did it left his address and tel no and is paying the bill which on his will be £1200 according to VW! New door for a passat!?

I am hoping Dent Devils can fix it on Monday but that's costing me £120! One less track day this year. Any of you used dent devils or chips away in the past? I have heard lots of good things about them.

hyb

Reaction score
It's gotta be fairly long, at bedford they have a pretty large straight, the instructor said 'near a mile long' and I was hitting between 115 and 120

Reaction score
I find my trophy doesn't feel that fast over 100, then it kicks again as it hits 5000rpm ( from 110/120 on I think). Those last 10 mph take a really long straight though! There isn't a private road long enough in the UK!
Haven't tried it since I've had more miles on the clock as I'm limited to 120 by winter tyres :(
Might have another go at easter with the Tom Tom. I think my speedo is about 5mph out at that speed.

Reaction score
got my spedo on 154ish standard going down a long sloping runway near mkt hrbr before. Felt like it was going to take off!!

Day

Reaction score
Speedo's are well out over 120 mph - Doubt that you are doing 154 mph when the car is only geared to 138 mph ;)

Reaction score
ive no idea. wish i still had my road angel

how much is the clio out by. My focus was only 3mph difference between the spedo, road angel and the digital spedo up to 130

Reaction score
According to my AVIC X1R headunit which uses GPS and the speed pulse from the ABS to monitor speed and distance, my speedo is only 1mph out @120. Not too bad I don't think!