dsp

Reaction score
Having being trying to sell my Trophy for a couple of weeks now I have not had a single call. I can only put it down to these reasons:

1) It is overpriced. (seems about the right price compared to others)
2) There are too many others currently for sale (only found about 3 others nationally)
3) The appeal has gone.
4) It is still a well kept secret of how good it is (I have kept all the reviews in EVO, Autocar etc etc that say how brilliant it is!!!)

It is advertised on here, pistonheads, Autotrader, renaultsport, meganesport.

Anybody any ideas or thoughts?

Reaction score
Maybe this is a blessing in disguise :wink: . A sign that you should keep it...

But, I guess the problem may be that the Trophy will only appeal to a small area of the market.

1. Theyre not the easiest to insure at a young age
2. Not the most convenient for those with families
3. For less money you can get a higher spec 182ff (xenons, climate control etc)

Just my thoughts for what theyre worth..

Reaction score
Unsure thought it would have sold quickly.

People probably cant afford cars no more as houses cost so much!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
how much are you selling it for?
how many miles does it have on it?
is it standard?

autotrader or pistonheads IMO generally get a lot of interest... have you spoken to Steve @ Allvehicles to see if its something he's interested in buying off you?

Reaction score
Aye steve has a megane 230 coming in and wants 16500!

I would have asked bank manager for extra cash to get it!

Reaction score
I find it very strange that they don't get snapped up immediately. In all honesty, what else can you get that's still under warranty for £10K that will offer up anything like the level of performance or fun? I can't think of anything. If the age/warranty issue isn't there then I can think of hundreds of tasty alternatives but for the age (22 months or so) I don't think anything competes. It really is a performance bargain.

And for £16.5K new, not much competes with an R26 either.

Day

Reaction score
I have a friend who is looking for the right car at the right price.

Most of the good'ens appear to be located in Scotland!

Reaction score
It's quiet all round at the moment. There's only 6 Trophys for sale on Autotrader. Clio Trophys do sit at the top end of the scale price-wise but you substitute the Climate and Xenons etc on a 182 FF for the suspension and Recaros. (and exclusivity) TBH they should probably be sitting around the £10000 mark on average, but most people want something off whether thats a dealer or private sale.

The last buyer traded a Cup pack car and was raving about the difference.

Reaction score
Yeah totally agree Steve before the Trophy I looked at a couple of civics and imprezas but age and cost would have been a massive issue plus for the impreza the service cost as well.

G

Now that I can look at them from the prospective of an owner, I don't think there's anything else out there for such a decent price that's even nearly as fun. Okay, anyone can go an buy a £4k 300bhp N-reg Impreza, and yes, it'll be fast, but it still won't be a patch on what the Trophy provides as a package.

Perhaps the current crop of hot-hatches are stealing the limelight a touch? Your average hot-hatch buyer isn't going to car whether their car has fancy dampers or weight-saving engineering. All they want is something that looks good and goes relatively fast, and so I can see why the Trophy may not appeal to those not completely 'in the know'.

Compare, for instance, the new Corsa VXR with the Trophy and you'll soon notice it's significantly ahead on 'pub talk statistics'. It's got wheels that are 2" bigger, a big body kit, a turbo, more power and torque, a higher spec... but what most people don't realise (or care about) is that it also has more weight.

I wouldn't say it's a bad thing that not everyone 'gets' the Trophy, but I'm happy, safe in the knowledge that I've got the best hot-hatch out there. Even if my wheels aren't as big.

Reaction score
Cant agree anymore with that David.

New clio, corsa, mini are all way off the mark from what a real hot hatch is supposed to be. Light, fast and not sophisticated.

Looking forward to meeting a vxr (probably with private plate!!) at lights to see what they are really made of!

I could have bought a Supra with 300hp before clio 7k, one owner in Uk but 40km on clock and M reg!! The Trophy is the best hot hatch and best value.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i'm still amazed more people don't know what one is. My mates mate - who I was talking to last weekend thought he was a petrol head, driving a new golf GTI, talked the talk etc.... when I said I had a Clio Trophy, he thought it was one of those housewifes specials that they sometime do..... He'd heard of a 182 but not the trophy...

I guess when you think that some actual Reno steelers haven't a clue what one is, it says something for how under marketed the Trophy was. If you don't read the magazines regularily I guess you may never have heard of it.

Reaction score
I went to reg vardy to look at a 182 once but it had been sold so he tried to sell me one from a picture off internet that was in Nottingham. Just as I test I asked how many gears it had. He told me 6!! Needed all six to get power down! Salesman will say anything!

Reaction score
Day said:
I have a friend who is looking for the right car at the right price.

Most of the good'ens appear to be located in Scotland!

Your right there, I had to travel the best part of 600 miles to Inverness to pick mine up. Very much worth the hassle though.

As others have said, maybe it's a sign for you to keep hold of it!!

Reaction score
I searched long and hard to find mine and its not a car people are going to rush into buying tbh.

For the average motorist a full-phat 182 is a much better proposition. Cheaper to buy, better equipped, lower insurance but the main difference is that its less likely to have been tracked.

The trophy has a much narrower band of potential buyers, youve goota like red for a start :lol: , but its crowning factor - cornering ability - is also its biggest downfall !!! Yup, its great on track, any magazine will tell you that - but lets be honest anyone would have doubts/be cautious when looking at a car with such a reputation.

My thoughts anyway :)

Reaction score
Got to disagree with you there, the trophy was not designed for the track at all.

It was designed to get across normal roads as fast as possible,( as told by Head of renaultsport at RWS) thats why it is so good on our roads.

The way it handles bends & rough surfaces is the main reason i bought mine.

Reaction score
g40steve said:
Got to disagree with you there, the trophy was not designed for the track at all.

I wrote it was designed for the track ?? :?

Got to disagree with you there :wink: