Reaction score
Right I will get straight to the point as I have a list; I have owned my Trophy for now 2 months and when purchased I had timing belts done and an oil and filter change done. This weekend however I was doing a gearbox change and checked the oil now the dipstick read ½ litre low and when I purchased the car it was slightly over filled. The question I have is does anyone know if these 182 engines use oil on a regular basis and is this common?

Secondly I know I have a cv joint gone on the n/s its the outer cv joint does anyone know if I can get hold of just a cv joint and where from, If not does anyone know if the drive shafts for the Trophy are different to those on a Cup or a standard 182? Ive spoken to Renault and they quoted me £230 including vat and a reconditioned drive shaft from local factors is £100 however ideally I would like genuine or new. The clip had broken previously however on service history looks like this has happened once before so iv repacked the joint and it only knocks on full lock just would like to fix it fully.

I have a whistle from the o/s front sounds like the wheel area Ive taped the hole in the mirror not that, Ive chamfered the pads and cleaned up the discs along with freeing the pads off so they move Ive replaced a seized caliper carrier bolt but still the noise remains. It happens around the 40 mph mark and goes away after about 45 mph only thing I can think of is either its wind getting in somewhere however iv checked arch liners all ok so Im contemplating wheel bearing however I have no movement nor noise when spinning up on a ramp. It doesn’t sound like a wheel bearing yet when free rolling down hill at 40 mph the noise is still there.

I have an idle issue when engine is hot and at idle. It sounds to me like and induced misfire and happens after its got up to temperature and then sat at a set of traffic lights for say 20 seconds. Its not every other cylinder and Ive already done spark plugs, coil pack and leads, air filter, pollen filter and oil was recently done along with belts, any ideas? Or is this common?

Finally when selecting first gear on idle I get a clonk must happen about once every week and sounds like its not synchronising quick enough. Im wondering if its an affect due to the cv joint but that only makes a noise on full lock.

I would ask another Clio 182 owner however I don’t know any and being that this is the first 182 Ive owned Im a tad stumped so any help would be greatly appreciated many thanks Liam

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi,

Re the oil mine starting using oil after the 24k service and is continuing to need it on a more regular basis - as per previous situations on Cliosport it seems that they do 'drink' oil and take so many litres per 1,000 miles. Worth a search on there to be honest. Next big service at 36k and i'll order about 7/8 litres of the good stuff so I don't part fill with the cheaper 5W40 oils.

CV boots can be purchased individually - they always come up on Ebay and I'm sure I've seen people talk about Renault doing the kits only rather than the whole shaft. Almost certain the shafts are the same but not 100%.

Mine also makes an annoying sound when moving regardless of which gear I am in. Had everything checked, dampers refurbed, etc and put it down to road noise, maybe the PE2's?

Rough idle again is common due to the cam profile so I have read - mine is slightly rough at idle and also get the odd emission light flash which my friend (mechanic) thinks is the pre-cat lambda sensor. Need to replace this ideally and get a remap to smoothen idle and get rid of the light!

Not sure on first gear, would have thought the driveshaft would clunk if dry and the car is moving - out of my technical knowledge.

Hope this helps.

Daniel.

Reaction score
Hi Daniel thanks for the quick reply i gathered the oil usage would be common but just wanted to check only due to idle issue. I have to admit i have been looking into a remap only iv found if i hold revs at 1k the idle issue goes on standstill.
As for cv boot its not the boot it was the clip that broke and its been replaced twice in the clio history once on a service and another by me as soon as i got the car iv re packed it with grease but it still knocks on full lock so damage is already done. I was wondering if the drive shaft was the same for all models just wern't sure due to different hubs. could do with clarification from dealer ideally but my local dealer are useless.
Im glad im not the only one with the noise its been bugging me since i got the car just couldnt find it i dont think its the tyre noise as i have 2 bridgestone tyres on the front of mine not my choice was on the car when purchased.
The lambda sensor before the cat was replaced under warranty just after i purchased car light came on and off but since replacement has been fine. BTW ngk do one exactly same as genuine and its around the £55 mark.
Yer the first gear is a tad funny but i have done a gearbox oil change and so far so good so hope thats sorted but it only happens very rarely. Anyway thanks again much appreciated.