Reaction score
MadUsa1 said:
I was worried this post might degenerate into this sort of mud-slinging activity.

My intention here was to give a fair and honest comparison between the 200 and the Trophy.

Both are awesome cars and will provide endless hours of driving pleasure. Some prefer the Mk2's, some prefer the Mk3's, it's all a matter of personal opinion and probably has a lot to do with the roads you drive and the way you use your car.

Can we not just leave it at that?

I agree, for me I prefer the looks and rawness of the Trophy but everyone has different tastes.

No doubt the 200 is a very capable car, whether it'll turn into a classic time will tell.

Reaction score
From having a drive of a 197 cup a couple months back they are just completely different cars to the trophys so its just down to peoples opinions on what they like i guess, i personally wouldnt go for a 197 (hence why i have a trophy) but i would like to try a 200 as everyone is raving about it!!

Reaction score
Good write up on the 200. Sounds like a great car. Looks good from all angles bar the front IMO. It's such a dog from the front that I've been put off. Renault should have built the 200 as they have (new seating and steering wheel angle sound great), but kept the nose from the 197 Cup. Does the 200's front really make much difference from an aerodynamic perspective?

I have 11k miles on my T. £9 or £10k sounds great. Don't know if it would happen though.

Like the banter too. Remains the right side of decending into the pleb generation.

Reaction score
Great and interesting write up :)

But kind of throwing pertrol on some embers for me :lol: (the embers being me getting a 200)

Reaction score
keith185 said:
Great and interesting write up :)

But kind of throwing pertrol on some embers for me :lol: (the embers being me getting a 200)

Do it, you will not regret it.

Reaction score
good comparison! I had a clio trophy then went to a R27 (racing blue) when they first came out! loved it build quality so much better, so much more refiand, spec was nice xeons, key less entry, tinted glass, sterio better, recaro nicer, ride softer, more stable at higher speed and more comfortable on longer journeys! (been 350 mile journey to newquay in both) bigger and more pleasant. i had it for 6 months did 6 thousand miles in it? drove it ever day!
as a network / server enginnner most of my driving is on local roads 30-50 miles max nothing worse than dual carage way (a and b roads normally) and for this i missed the trophy. i brought a focus st3 next as the r27 always felt slow compared to the trophy! (probably due to engine being new and not lose)
fuel prices went through the roof and st never did more than 22mpg!!(0-60 no better than trophy after lag and traction loss) so wanted a fun car that would do 30mpg!! brought an other trophy!!! took some finding! had it 6-8 months now just hit 44,000 miles and love it!!! getting suppention done next week by ben and brakes being done while car is off the road (will cost nearly the price difference to a 197)!! thought about not spending the money on it and get somthing else but most fun car i have ever owned! i have never drove a 200 but the r27 always felt to light on the back end under hard braking! 6th gear allthough nice never gave a higher top end (i gather some have different ratios as people moanded about noise on motoways) staring new felt as nice.
if i drove longer distances (more motoways) needed a newer car 200 would be perfect
nip 30 miles on a and b roads trophy excelent.
as an evo reader they have made me wonder about the 200 as they were not a fan of the 197? i do not want to risk it!!

Reaction score
Good to hear Reno has now got a proper RS Clio again, after a few years of working the kinks out :D
Nice review MadUsa1.