Reaction score
I loved the Trophy and thoroughly enjoyed my 12 months with it, but one lazy Saturday afternoon I read about the Clio 200's top-5 finish in eCOTY and casually trundled down to the local Renault Garage to see what all the fuss was about.

Three days later I placed my order.

There has been a lot of discussion about the way the thing looks, but in the metal I think it has serious presence and brings the Clio bang up to date. The Pearl White on the B&W picks out the bulges of the bodywork beautifully and the black roof, speedline wheels and wing mirrors bring harmony to the nose.

The build quality of the interior warrants special mention; it feels more like a Golf VI GTi than a mid-size French hatchback. The doors shut with a purposeful thur-rump and there isn't a squeak or rattle to speak of, despite the purposefully stiff ride. There are plenty of toys in here too; keyless go, Bluetooth, auto lights, auto wipers, climate control... and they all work intuitively and without fuss. The integrated TomTom, which at first I didn't care for, is a particular highlight; much faster than the portable unit I used previously and genuinely helpful with its traffic alert and alternative-route functions.

The excellent height-adjustable Recaros are both comfortable and extremely supportive when the road gets technical. The steering wheel is smaller and less horizontal than the Trophy's and because it is reach and height adjustable, you can construct the perfect driving position from which to exploit the Cup Chassis.

One of my main motivations for moving to the 200 was to gain a bit more space and practicality so I’m glad to note that there is generous accommodation for 4 adults, plus a usefully proportioned boot. General refinement is a big step up from the Trophy and although the engine is still rather busy at 130kmh, minimal wind and road noise make it pleasantly comfortable on the motorway.

In terms of comfort and refinement, the 200 is a big improvement over the Trophy. No surprises there then.

What I wasn't prepared for was what happened the first time I piloted the new car up a local mountain pass. The engine pulls with genuine enthusiasm from well below 3000rpm, with such a swell of torque that you'd swear there's a turbo hiding behind that curvy front spoiler. I used to slam the Trophy into first gear out of the tighter hairpins, but the 200 pulls with similar vigour in 2nd.

The exhaust has a wonderful gruff burble at low revs and even pops occasionally on the overrun. Above 4500rpm that burble turns into an angry wail as you chase that 7800rpm limiter before snicking home the next ratio via the short, tight throw of the vastly improved gearbox. Indeed, holding each gear until the satisfying beeps and flashes of the gear change indicator soon becomes utterly addictive.

The Brembo brakes are powerful and confidence inspiring and the whole car is much more stable under braking. In the corners, the 200 stays flatter than the Trophy, which means it’ll slide where the older car would kick a wheel, and although the 200 is very stiffly sprung, it’s less fidgety than the Trophy, rounding off the post-snow potholes with greater efficacy.

Predictably, it’s the older car that provides the more detailed feedback through the steering wheel, but the 200’s steering is more accurate, thanks perhaps to that independent steering axis. The new faster steering rack proves a major advantage too, allowing you to tackle all but the tightest hairpins without taking your hands off the wheel. While the Trophy driver is busy untangling the lock from the previous turn, the 200 has already straightened out and powered up the next straight.

In short, it’s a more rounded, more sophisticated approach to tackling a good stretch of road; one that’s every bit as enjoyable as the Trophy, only faster, more composed and in my opinion more satisfying.

Reaction score
EVO would be proud of this write-up, well done - interesting, if not perhaps a 'little' biased :wink:

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing a nicely written personal comparison with us. I'm sure there's no doubt in anyone's mind that the 200 has moved things on in terms of build quality and providing a different level of driving experience to the Trophy. I really must drive one some time!

Ultimately I guess that every individual will value certain characteristics differently to the next and therefore each car will appeal to a different audience..

Reaction score
marrow said:
EVO would be proud of this write-up, well done - interesting, if not perhaps a 'little' biased :wink:

High praise indeed! Much appreciated.

It's always difficult to be objective of course and they are both fantastic cars. Try a 200 on a good road though, and you won't be disappointed.

Reaction score
Totally agree with you.
Very similar experience i had when i got my 197Cup.
The haters soon came out :lol:
Another thing worth noting is when i tried another trophy back in Oct it seemed so 'dated' & engine is so 'gruff' compared to the latest 2.0.
Defo once you have had the 197/200 no going back :wink:
I'm trying RWD at present as i want to try drifting etc =D>

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Steve what you seem to forget is that there were a lot of reasons to hate it, it wasn't just a kneejerk reaction.The fact is it was horrible, there was no conspiracy.
What renault seem to have done with the 200 is make the car they should of in the first place as a natural progression/replacement(?) for the Trophy.

Reaction score
g40steve said:
Defo once you have had the 197/200 no going back :wink:

:lol: :lol:

Sorry Steve, I'm not trying to pick a fight, but if that was true we wouldn't be seeing various Ex 197 owners enjoying Trophy/182/172 ownership.. :wink:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
quik5i1ver said:
I'm not trying to pick a fight,

Well i've just given up the tabs so I am :wink:

g40steve said:
^^ mainly due to financial circumstances :lol:

Is there that much difference between a 197 and a decent T these days?

Reaction score
I was worried this post might degenerate into this sort of mud-slinging activity.

My intention here was to give a fair and honest comparison between the 200 and the Trophy.

Both are awesome cars and will provide endless hours of driving pleasure. Some prefer the Mk2's, some prefer the Mk3's, it's all a matter of personal opinion and probably has a lot to do with the roads you drive and the way you use your car.

Can we not just leave it at that?

Reaction score
I think if most(not all) trophy owners are honest they would prefer to be the owner of a brand spanking new 200, I would!

However that is not the whole story IMO the Trophy is much more and if I was to be a car collector I'd much rather have a mint Trophy in my collection than a 200!

I have heard so many people say they will never sell their Trophy and I'm yet to hear anyone say that about a 197/200, regardless of whether people following this claim up it says a lot about the Trophy!

Reaction score
g40steve said:
hoolio said:

£5K

By the way you'll live longer you grumpy buffalo =D>

£5k for a mint 58 plate fully loaded 197

mint 55 plate trophy and a mint 56 plate 197 would be about £1500 difference

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Madusa this is not mud-slinging, it's gentle good humoured back biteing banter that you are unlikely to see on a similar subject elsewhere. And anyway Steve's 197 comments always have to be challenged or he may actually start to believe them.

Reaction score
I have to agree with Hoolio, this sort of topic would descend into the abyss of 'hater' threads that appear on other forums, but very little of that happens on here and i dont think it is doing now.

Good review of the 200, BTW

Reaction score
hoolio said:
Madusa this is not mud-slinging, it's gentle good humoured back biteing banter that you are unlikely to see on a similar subject elsewhere. And anyway Steve's 197 comments always have to be challenged or he may actually start to believe them.

=D>

Reaction score
PB.283 said:
g40steve said:
hoolio said:

£5K

By the way you'll live longer you grumpy buffalo =D>

£5k for a mint 58 plate fully loaded 197

mint 55 plate trophy and a mint 56 plate 197 would be about £1500 difference

You need at least a cupped 197 to compare & they didn't arrive till mid/late 07.
A good T is £7k i sold my fully loaded Cup for £12K, not bad seeing as paid £11K back in Feb 1600 miles. Sold 6500m, due a service 6 trackdays & 5000 hard road miles :lol:

hoolio said:

Admit it Jules you miss me :( =D> :^o

Reaction score
If one exists a trophy with under 7k would be close to £10k or at least 9

Reaction score
Trophy No.
g40steve said:
Admit it Jules you miss me :( =D> :^o

Steve when you sold the T I told anyone who would listen, and i'm sure there must have been one, that you would be a loss to the club :)

Unfortunately you keep popping back back so we don't know yet :wink: