Reaction score
Looking to change my oil over the weekend, so I am just making sure that I have got everything I need - I have tried to search R'sport and C'sport forums but cannot find a guide...

Just after a bit of advice really from people who have changed oils on 172's or 182's.

What size socket will I need for the sump plug? Do I need to replace the sump plug with every change, or is it just the washer that I need to change?

What is the best tool for oil filter removal - band wrench, strap wrench, chain wrench or pliers?

Where is the best place the Jack the car up from?

Is it pretty obvious where I should be placing the axle stands?

Any other tips and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Take it easy! :D

hyb

Reaction score
i find the simplest way is to pay my local garage man £10 :D

usefull arnt i?

Reaction score
Going to put mobil 1 in my car but renault say it will invalidate my warranty even though it it meets all requirements and more its 0W 40 they tell me I should use 5W 40 semi. What they on about !!!

Reaction score
That's a load of rubbish that^^^

I asked what oil they used when i took mine in for a service and they said Mobil one!

Mine is run on Elf Competition, but not every dealer uses Elf! invalidate your warrenty! PAH!

:roll:

Reaction score
Just going off the subject of oil can anyone tell me how to make it appear I am a trophy owner and not a forum member, bit confused :?

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
richard3 said:
Just going off the subject of oil can anyone tell me how to make it appear I am a trophy owner and not a forum member, bit confused :?

Hi Richard, you need to post in the Trophy Owners section with your car number. Then I can upgrade you to the extra star :D

Reaction score
Re oil i must say id only put in what renault recomend as if u change to synthetic or thinner oils then u will run risk of wear upon start up etc which will take its toll...personally i add slick 50 to every can i own and change it regularly and have'nt had the slightest problem this end

slick does help starting, noise, etc and if disbeliever try it !! only costs £15 !! :D

Reaction score
Cheers TomS and Die Hard I was getting abit obsessed with oil bored my wife all weekend with it, think im going to use the elf at 1500mls now done 950 but beginning to cane it and dont like the idea of metal particles flushing round 8)

Reaction score
Checked on elf web site 5w 40 excellium LDX is semi synth, 0W 30 excellium LDX is fully synth, . :shock:

Reaction score
Richard - checked on the website you posted, and to me it looks as though LDX 5W-40 is a synthetic oil, and as Nik says they don't list a semi-syn 5W-40.

The way that I am thinking if Renault loaded it up with a fully-syn from new, then I will just change to my preferred brand of fully-syn.

Reaction score
Yeah see what you mean but the 0W 30 excellium says 100% synthetic the 5W 40 just says synthetic technology which could mean semi??. In my renault warranty booklet that came with the car also states 0W 40 can be used for colder environments as is mobil 1 this grade which Renault say will invalidate my warranty so will have a word with them on that one. they also wanted to charge me £40 and I am supplying my own oil ripp off me thinks.

Reaction score
Looks like you right nik and OilS missed the great big red bit saying synthetic bit thick me.
Waiting for call from Renault UK technical for confirmation on which we can use without affecting our warranty hope this will clear it all up I let you know as soon as. :oops:

Reaction score
To be honest mate, I am not sure that the type of oil will matter when it comes down to warranty work, I don't see Renault checking what oil is in the engine if you have a warranty claim. I think the main thing is to make sure that all the services are logged in the service book, as I am sure they will check this if you make a claim with regards to the engine.

Maybe someone else who has had to make a claim for engine work on a previous 172/182 could confirm this.

Reaction score
Had a response from renault uk and they say you can use whatever oil you like but we recommend 5w 40 or 0w 40 for extreme cold so its Mobil 1 for me on Saturday £15 to change it at local garage instead of £40 at Reg Vardys .

Reaction score
rgds the first oil change , at what mileage have u guys done the first change ?
in my cup i changed the oil after 1500 miles and was told by renault it wasnt due untill 12k or 2 years which ever came first .

should i change the oil in trophy around the same time like after 1500 miles?

Reaction score
Had mine done at 1000mls but will now leave it in till 12000mls as its probably the best oil on the market in my opinion Mobil 1 that is even put it in my panda 4x4.

Reaction score
I am going to do my first oil change at 2k, and then again at 6k and every 6k after that. I guess it is all down to personal preference. You can either follow Renault's guidlines of every 12k, or change it more regularily. Due to the way I drive my car, I just want to make sure that the oil in there is as fresh and clean as possible without going overboard and changing it every month or so.