Reaction score
A couple of sundays back Steve was kind enough to take me out for a run in his cup and show me why he decided to change from the trophy.. and then passed over to me for some fun down the the rs clios favourite territory the bumpy back roads/lanes, and now the chassis and the size over the trophy of the 197 cup makes sense (not sure about the weight though) and at speed the cup feels so planted the harder you push the more it grips with no bodyroll and with the closer ratio 6 speed box it feels fantastic and no pick up at 5k revs either its from nothing to the 8k limit as we hit 130mph, although it does feel like it a bit less urgent the way it gets there compared to the trophy, i was feeling more confident over the bumps in the 197 cup, in the trophy even the bumpiest back roads can slightly throw you off course but with the chassis/suspension and of course the huge brembo's i couldnt feel more confident yet it didnt feel as special as it did doing it in a trophy, its just not the same throwing a bigger car around corners..a car that was suppose to be small car bigger engine has changed that and maybe it will take some getting used to, for me i do like the 197 cup mainly the gearbox chasis and brakes improve on the trophy's and it looks very nice to say the least but with more weight and small increase in power.. it hasnt improved much on the trophy in the performance department as i hoped it would. Im still undecided since driving the cup.. ive loved every minute of my trophy when i got back in it and sometimes wonder why i even consider changing it.

Reaction score
We all get use to the cars we drive and the special qualities can therefore go unnoticed sometimes.

Trophy all the way for me, I've never liked the 197. It's a different kind of car almost in comparison too.

I still love the looks of the Trophy, the compact size, driver feedback, speed and rawness.

I think the people who are looking for an upgrade may want to look at the new Focus RS as that seems set to become the new benchmark.

Reaction score
There is nothing currently in production, apart from maybe a 500 Abarth, that can be seen as "Trophy-like", the RS Twingo simply isn't fast enough and the 197, Corsa, Mini are all a fair bit bigger.
Like yourself, the planted nature of it when really pushing on is impressive and the driving position and steering wheel are huge improvments, but of course you point out the other side as well.
Can see why people change and why they don't :D

Reaction score
I drove a 197 Cup for a weekend and 250 miles and compared it back to back with my Trophy a few months ago. I liked the Cup - it's brakes, it's gearbox/ratios, it's exhaust noise, it's styling, it's handling, it's Recaro seats. You could certainly feel it was a bigger, heavier, more refined car than the Trophy and I felt as a result it wasn't quite as nimble, the rear-end was not quite as playful. The steering also didn't have quite the same level of feedback as the Trophy, I expect due to the fact the 197 uses an electric system. That said if I had to replace the Trophy then the 197 Cup would probably be at the top of a short list. That is until a back-to-back with the new Clio 200 Cup....

PS OP - any chance of a few full stops in your next post?

SPV

Reaction score
Trophy or 197 Cup?

I had this dilemma last year...The 197 Cup when new was a massive 'must have' for me, in white looking fecking awesome; a test drive later just emphasizes Renaults quality improvements over the last model and higher rev limit is very enticing. The drive and Recaro seats are superb.

...The Trophy offers thing on a different level, its special...final run of the best of the best 182 model right? Thats why it's back in the magazines now, because its the 182 'Trophy' model that will be remembered like the Clio Williams. And when I'm a little older and more mature I can say "I owned one of those!"

I think that when the Clio Cup200 is on sale the lime light will shift from the 197 Cup, and although they will be great cars Im not sure they will be classics like the Trophy is sure to be?

You can't go wrong with either and it would be nice to own both!

Reaction score
SPV said:
Trophy or 197 Cup?

I had this dilemma last year...The 197 Cup when new was a massive 'must have' for me, in white looking fecking awesome; a test drive later just emphasizes Renaults quality improvements over the last model and higher rev limit is very enticing. The drive and Recaro seats are superb.

...The Trophy offers thing on a different level, its special...final run of the best of the best 182 model right? Thats why it's back in the magazines now, because its the 182 'Trophy' model that will be remembered like the Clio Williams. And when I'm a little older and more mature I can say "I owned one of those!"

I think that when the Clio Cup200 is on sale the lime light will shift from the 197 Cup, and although they will be great cars Im not sure they will be classics like the Trophy is sure to be?

You can't go wrong with either and it would be nice to own both!

200 Cup could be intresting as well for sure, i do like oldschool as well ive still got my Renault 21 Turbo and that handled so well for a saloon which weighs 1190kg thats less than the 197! and with 240bhp you cant fail to have fun :D

Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed you test flight think Marrow enjoyed his in the T [-X . The more miles i do the more it affirms i made the right decision.
Several have mentioned the brakes, g/box, seats, handling etc, but it's the package. The Rs engineers defo moved the goalposts.
To say the 197 isn't playfull, your not trying hard enough :lol: on the ragged edge it's more composed.
Now my tyres are scrubbed in, they were fitted the day befor i took DFV out, grip is awesome.
Duffer chose a good word, planted. My roads are in terrible condition but the Cup sorts it out very well indeed.
One of my faves is the tunes it makes as it's singing it's nuts off :D

Reaction score
it was new to me steve plus i just always feel bad taking someones car out for a boot :) .. but yes it does feel alot more planted on the poor road conditions where as the trophy may wobble a bit if pushed. The 197 cup takes it all in its stride and the amount of grip with no bodyroll makes it feel so easy as in the trophy im always sure to dodge potholes which is incredibly tedious! i wont deny i have been on the lookout steve but not found anything yet :( i gave the T a nice polish and wax on sunday and it just looked mint cant believe im considering getting shut :oops:

Reaction score
g40steve said:
I just took another 182 owner out for a demo tonight, think he's pretty much sold on one :D
The RS2 tyres are unbelievable when warm :wink:
Wish i'd tried them on the T.

Any chance of another test drive :D

What tyres are these?

Reaction score
I never looked at buying a 197 Cup after the Trophy, however I did drive one on track and was very impressed. I drove it back to back with my Trophy at Spa and was very impressed. It wasn't a completely fair test as my Trophy had a couple of mods and R888's, but despite this it felt very composed, the brakes were fantastic, it handled very well and did impress me. It felt a tad slower in a straight line and a little number also from memory but I would definately recommend one if someone asked me for a hot hatch that was pretty much new.

EVO magazine also tested both on track and the Trophy did come out with a faster laptime and does give you a slightly more entertaining drive, but the 197 Cup is about as close as its going to get....and in the 197's favour in white with the spoiler and black wheels it probably looks better and the interior is a much better/nicer place to sit.

Reaction score
duffer987 said:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+R-S2&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=25WR6Z212&fromCompare1=yes&place=3

Thanks Dallas - they don't seem to get good reviews?

Reaction score
marrow said:

Thats a yankie site :roll:
Google for UK results as getting excellent feedback.
I've tried CSC3's, Yoko Prada Spec 2 & RS2's, RS2's on another level.
Again spose it depends on what you want from a tyre, i'm not interested in getting 20K out of a set.
If they last 3 or 4 trackdays & several 1000 road miles i'm happy :D

At £325 for a set of 4, that would buy 2 888's & for me these give better on road manners without the droning.

Matt X2C said:
I never looked at buying a 197 Cup after the Trophy, however I did drive one on track and was very impressed. I drove it back to back with my Trophy at Spa and was very impressed. It wasn't a completely fair test as my Trophy had a couple of mods and R888's, but despite this it felt very composed, the brakes were fantastic, it handled very well and did impress me. It felt a tad slower in a straight line and a little number also from memory but I would definately recommend one if someone asked me for a hot hatch that was pretty much new.

EVO magazine also tested both on track and the Trophy did come out with a faster laptime and does give you a slightly more entertaining drive, but the 197 Cup is about as close as its going to get...and in the 197's favour in white with the spoiler and black wheels it probably looks better and the interior is a much better/nicer place to sit[/b].

Spot on mate, thats what did it for me, my modded T running 888's, maxogen, yozza & uprated brakes VS stock 197.
Round Oulton Park could not believe how much stick i could give the Cup, the T would of given up.
Hence the T left & Cup arrived.

Reaction score
g40steve said:
marrow said:

Thats a yankie site :roll:
Google for UK results as getting excellent feedback.
I've tried CSC3's, Yoko Prada Spec 2 & RS2's, RS2's on another level.
Again spose it depends on what you want from a tyre, i'm not interested in getting 20K out of a set.
If they last 3 or 4 trackdays & several 1000 road miles i'm happy :D

At £325 for a set of 4, that would buy 2 888's & for me these give better on road manners without the droning.

Typical Ingurlesh response :roll:
Seems they are concerned about its ability/dynamics over longevity, which is also what you're interested in Steve :wink: And I don't think the UK tyre retailers go remotely as indepth with their testing, if they do any at all.
Anyways, long as everyone is happy with their tyre choice thats the important bit :)

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i had these on the m3, can't compare them with anything though as i binned it after 6 months so didn't get to try another set.

having said that i binned it as it lost traction in the wet -too easily for my liking, but then again i'm not sure any tyre can cope easily in wet conditions with 330bhp to cope with and no traction control systems to help a trigger happy right foot from using the carpet as a bump stop.

Reaction score
Stevie said:
We all get use to the cars we drive and the special qualities can therefore go unnoticed sometimes.

Trophy all the way for me, I've never liked the 197. It's a different kind of car almost in comparison too.

I still love the looks of the Trophy, the compact size, driver feedback, speed and rawness.

I think the people who are looking for an upgrade may want to look at the new Focus RS as that seems set to become the new benchmark.

It;s funny you mention the looks, because so many people say it looks outdated, and i agree to an extent but only when next to say a 197 or a new CTR, but the 182 shape, even more so in Trophy guise, is a hell of a good looking HH.

I looked out of my office window earlier and it just looked superb sat amongst all the black and silver German saloon boxes...

As for driving, it still takes my breath away how fast it'll go round bends. It just shouldnt be able to but it does