BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I know Renault seem to get bad reviews amongst people regarding the reliability but during my ownership I have found the Trophy really reliable. I've owned it 3 years and 4 months and had the following issues...

Failed Coolant Termperature Sensor
Failed Damper Seal
Failed CV Boot Clip

Thats honestly all I can think of, maybe i'm just lucky? or maybe shortly after writing this thread things will start to go wrong.

I've replaced general wear and tear items and things do seem to wear quickly but thats all part of servicing and maintenance. Only the above 3 have caught me out (so far)

:D Happy days :D

Reaction score
I have had 4 Renault clio's 2 of which have been trophys. I have never had a problem with any of the 4,

However having slight ploblems with the current trophy as many you of may be aware with the "standard air box query" posts and lack in power posts.

My current trophy has no engine management lights or dash board lights but it just does not feel its self recently (after its major sevice 800 miles ago)

Reaction score
Gear gater replaced (cheap)

Oxygen sensor failed (not so cheap)

Exhaust rotted (after six years, so probably a 'wear and tear' item I guess)

Pagid Blues replaced with standard OEM pads when the former warped and started making a god awful noise (not cheap either)

Nothing else to report. Earlier this week I replaced two of the original PE2s fitted when the car was new (at least I think they were originals, as my car has only done 33,000 miles), so now running PS3s on the back and PE2s (which I bought when I acquired the car in January 2009) on the front

Reaction score
9 months ownership -

CV Boot clip

Bonnet alarm pin switch - which just went missing ??

General wear and tear items:
Rear discs and pads replaced and original exhaust being replaced this weekend which i might have left on a bit too long by the sound of it.

Reaction score
Nearside Sachs damper packed up also had an injector die as well, but nothing too serious!

Its not a fault, but i find the biggest problem of owning a Trophy is that you always get stuck behind someone so can't actually enjoy it to the max! Mine spends most of its life at under 40mph in traffic, what a waste!!

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Bonnet alarm pin switch - which just went missing ??

My pin blew away, literally, by a rolling road fan!

Reaction score
So far in the year iv owned mine iv had, both outer cv boot clips a coil pack and leads due to arcing and doth damper's one was seal at the bottom of the reservoir and the other on the top of the shaft. Oh and the rear heat shield bodge with washers.

I have done a lot of extras mainly service items this is due to me wanting a perfect car, unfortunately im a perfectionist with my cars i own.

I have to admit seeing pretty much every kind of vehicle come through my workplace, the one thing i like about Renault is there very low maintenance and the body work is very well protected from the factory so rust seems to be pretty much non existent in the 5-6 years since the Trophy was made, i am very surprised at how good the body is. No other manufacture makes them like this.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Windscreen chip turned to a crack (got the money back for excess from a haulage company)

Battery randomly went dead

Paint flaked off the central heater control panel

CV boot failed

Alternator bracket collapsed taking out aux belt (possibly garage liability)

That's it in over 2 years of ownership!

Other than the alternator bracket failing had hardly any issues over my old 172.

Reaction score
Hardly anything really other than general wear and tear that you expect with any car, not just Renault.

I've had the Trophy for four years and a 172 Cup for 2 years prior to that, and no major failures to speak of.

Reaction score
Had a front wheel bearing go,front lambda sensor go and recently the boot solenoid aswell.

Apart from that the cars ran great :D

Reaction score
Failures from new and 95k...

Temperature sensor
Lower air intake pipe collapsed
Immobiliser ring failed
Alternator failed
Solenoid in power steering system failed - probably damaged replacing alternator I think.
Nearside damper leaked
I currently need to get my steering wheel trimmed and a gearshift gaitor.

The alternator was a nightmare as Renault kept supplying the wrong part. Had the original rebuilt in the end.

Reaction score
Failures from new & 29k.

Coolant temp sensor.
CV boot.
Leaking front damper.
Vacuum pipe collapsed on brake servo. (self inflicted)
Boot only locks when it feels like it.

Reaction score
18 months very happy ownership - Nearside CV boot
Nearside damper oil seal

Ready for a service late this month.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
From new not very much really.
CO2 sensor into cat which may have had something to do with changing to the Orbisoud.
Oil leak out of the gasket at back of the head which is fairly common.
I think my dampers are getting a little ropey.
And a whole list of other things which started very early on characterised by an engine that would turn over but not fire and was diagnosed as TDC/crank sensor, oil pump, coil pack, throttle potentiometer etc but seemed to then cure itself. All these things seemed to occur, with hindsight, after it had been laid up for a little or after being in the engine bay. It is only just recently that I discovered that one of the relays in the fuse box, when pushed in was pushing one of the contacts out the other side causing an intermittent connection that now pushed together no amount of bonnet slamming reoccurs.