Reaction score
Trophy No.
At about 450kilos lighter than the T that's probably no suprise though the power to weight ratios are quite similar.Don't think this one will be going near any hills in anger though, with only 14k on the clock i think it will remain a bit of a garage queen.

Reaction score
Still might have to get you to come to Haynes MuseumTest Circuit - would try to line up one that does hill climbs as well!

Reaction score
Hi Julian

Looks mint indeed! Amazing find! Is it original?

I bought a mint 'Raider' edition many years ago with 14k on the clock. It was a great car and totally reliable. However, the game has moved on and by todays standards, the T would have the GT licked - me thinks...

Enjoy

Reaction score
Trophy No.
marrow said:
Looks mint indeed! Amazing find! Is it original?

I bought a mint 'Raider' edition many years ago with 14k on the clock. It was a great car and totally reliable. However, the game has moved on and by today's standards, the T would have the GT licked - me thinks...

Not much question about that in standard form(which it is) but they weigh less than a packet of walkers, with the possibility of shedding a little more, and they can be easily and cheaply modded to give them power to weight ratios that would embarrass the T, put some decent coilovers on and the handling becomes almost as good as well.

Reaction score
R5 is going to have nicer power delivery and in my opinion be better to drive on a daily basis. If a minter came up I'd happily snap one up and sell the Trophy.

Reaction score
Finally got around to viewing and driving an FD2 Type R and eff me, that is my next car if I decide to go for another front driver :twisted: The interior reminded me of my Civic Si for the obvious reasons, but the seats were much "sportier" and supportive and combined with the rake/reach properly proportioned steering wheel, gearshift and speedo/tacho display its an absolutely class place to be sitting. The v-tak shove and the direct steering make it an absolute winner (tup)
Defintely no way I'd "settle" for a 197 after confirming what I already thought... Rich can I sell you another (trophysmall) ? :lol:

Reaction score
FD2 - but they weigh almost 1,300 kg, are the size of a 3 series, and the ride makes a Trophy feel soggy - even expansion joints on a motorway made me wince. That is why Litchfield has developed a coil-over kit in conjunction with AST. In comparison my DC5 is smuch softer, similar to the Trophy, but with poorer quality damping (of course!).

Reaction score
I know how much it weighs and how big it is :wink: And sure if it's a huge saloon it's going to weigh 80kg more than the DC5 :)
It's certainly a firm ride without a doubt, but I found it more comfortable on the same roads then the Trophy. But who knows, maybe that's because I found the seating position more comfortable, so the buffetting of the road wasn't noticed as much. Still not keen on the Litchie's AST though.

Reaction score
Not the Alfa but .................
[attachment=0:16nhci1e]1.jpg[/attachment:16nhci1e]
Thanks to all the people who make this forum the friendly & informative forum that it is and i'll be on the lookout for any tomatoes out there :D

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 37
Reaction score
I've had this decision forced upon me somewhat by the arrival of my second Son this week, meaning the Trophy is no longer practical. I'm looking at either a Leon Cupra R or a Golf GTI Edition 30 if funds can stretch that far. It'll be a shame to see 399 go but I haven't got a choice really!

Reaction score
Rhod_39

re: Golf Edition 30 - is it not a cheaper and better route to get a std GTi and then get whatever engine/car tweaks done yourself? I was led to believe the Ed 30 carried a fair premium for no/less improvement/fun? You could get a simple ECU tweak and perhaps some suspension changes, such as more negative camber?

Ajr

Reaction score
I've "downgraded" to a 106 GTi.

With proper decent suspension on it now, 4 pots, turinis and R888s it is very good. Insane grip, very good handling too.
The fully independant rear suspension beats the hell out of the semi independant torsion beam on the clio too on back roads, the rear wheels can do what they want without skipping on big bumps mid corner, back end feels less pointy though as a result as the roll stiffness is naturally lower, and it's less manageable but hey you can't have it all.

Reaction score
I recently replaced the Trophy with a Megane F1 230 R26, never saw it coming but after a week of ownership i am really pleased with the car.

Still miss my old Trophy though.............

Reaction score
marrow said:
Rhod_39

re: Golf Edition 30 - is it not a cheaper and better route to get a std GTi and then get whatever engine/car tweaks done yourself? I was led to believe the Ed 30 carried a fair premium for no/less improvement/fun? You could get a simple ECU tweak and perhaps some suspension changes, such as more negative camber?

Interesting, I haven't started doing any research yet so I'll look into that. The other thing is that I find the standard GTI very boring to look at, but the little aesthetic changes made to the Ed30 make it a little sexier IMHO.

Cheers,

Rhod.

Reaction score
Ajr said:
I've "downgraded" to a 106 GTi.

With proper decent suspension on it now, 4 pots, turinis and R888s it is very good. Insane grip, very good handling too.
The fully independant rear suspension beats the hell out of the semi independant torsion beam on the clio too on back roads, the rear wheels can do what they want without skipping on big bumps mid corner, back end feels less pointy though as a result as the roll stiffness is naturally lower, and it's less manageable but hey you can't have it all.

Very interesting this as they are very light, a mate runs one for sprints and says its putting out over 200 bhp at the moment and will make around 240! when he changes to bigger throttle boddies.
What suspension have you got and how much did it cost if you dont mind me asking :)