Reaction score
Ajr said:
G man is yours black? I followed a black R26 in the black C2 VTS the other day down groombridge hill ;)

It is indeed and i did go down there the other day too so chances are it was me :)

Ajr

Reaction score
Haha you were stuck behind some moron driving quite slow, looking impatient, i was right behind you in the C2, bored also :lol:

I ran a 200bhp/800kg saxo even when i had my trophy, extremely capable car. I would still chose the trophy every day which is why i sold it. Too noisy, too uncomfy, too scary(R888s, quaife diff, tarmac spec suspension = All over the place). I've owned 3 106s and 4 other cars on same platform so i know them inside out ;)
Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnxxUjA4MkI
I know nothing about that video #-o

Current car has grpN dampers, custom springs(60% uprated spring rate, not calculated wheel rate) and 21mm torsion bars(50% harder wheel rate) and obviously solid bushes(some metal, some poly) weld in cage tied in to rear subframe. It is tidy. As an everyday car i'd pick the clio obviously but on track it's another story. Plenty more plans...

Reaction score
Rhod_399 said:
marrow said:
Rhod_39

re: Golf Edition 30 - is it not a cheaper and better route to get a std GTi and then get whatever engine/car tweaks done yourself? I was led to believe the Ed 30 carried a fair premium for no/less improvement/fun? You could get a simple ECU tweak and perhaps some suspension changes, such as more negative camber?

Interesting, I haven't started doing any research yet so I'll look into that. The other thing is that I find the standard GTI very boring to look at, but the little aesthetic changes made to the Ed30 make it a little sexier IMHO.

Cheers,

Rhod.

MkIV GTi boring...yes, a little. But not so if you colour code all the black plastic, such as side skirts and rear apron. White is my favourite colour, especially if you had the wheels (preferably 18" Monza's) painted/powder coated dark grey like the Trophy's.... this is exactly what the new owner of EVO's ex-GTi did and it looks tasty!

Reaction score
Pedants note for Marrow :p :wink:

Mk4 GTi
2774531651_8726886c20.jpg

Mk5 GTi
vw_golf_gti.jpg

Reaction score
Ajr said:
I ran a 200bhp/800kg saxo even when i had my trophy, extremely capable car. I would still chose the trophy every day which is why i sold it. Too noisy, too uncomfy, too scary(R888s, quaife diff, tarmac spec suspension = All over the place). I've owned 3 106s and 4 other cars on same platform so i know them inside out ;)

Current car has grpN dampers, custom springs(60% uprated spring rate, not calculated wheel rate) and 21mm torsion bars(50% harder wheel rate) and obviously solid bushes(some metal, some poly) weld in cage tied in to rear subframe. It is tidy. As an everyday car i'd pick the clio obviously but on track it's another story. Plenty more plans

Wheres a good place to read up on tuning them?
Ta

Ajr

Reaction score
Nowhere really, the car forums are full of people who are requoting 2nd hand info(often wrong). I've been big in the scene for nearly 8 years, i've watched the 106 & saxo tuning scene progress and have close ties with a few tuners(had a good bit of work done by QEP up the road who have so far been the only people along with longmans to actually make good power) and studied a lot of tuning & modification material, if you have the knowledge, access to a good engine builder and money then it's nice and easy! You just need to set a budget for each section of the car(you will need £4k minimum to make 200bhp)

Reaction score
Ajr said:
Haha you were stuck behind some moron driving quite slow, looking impatient, i was right behind you in the C2, bored also :lol:

Current car has grpN dampers, custom springs(60% uprated spring rate, not calculated wheel rate) and 21mm torsion bars(50% harder wheel rate) and obviously solid bushes(some metal, some poly) weld in cage tied in to rear subframe. It is tidy. As an everyday car i'd pick the clio obviously but on track it's another story. Plenty more plans...

Did you follow me down to the round about down the bottom there and see the guy in the wheel chair? He came down the road from the station looking like he was out of control and shot straight across the round about nearly hitting me head on!!! I reckon he was doing about 25mph!!!

So what cars are you driving about in at the moment then? The C2 and a BMW??? or the 106???

Reaction score
Ajr said:
Nowhere really, the car forums are full of people who are requoting 2nd hand info(often wrong). I've been big in the scene for nearly 8 years, i've watched the 106 & saxo tuning scene progress and have close ties with a few tuners(had a good bit of work done by QEP up the road who have so far been the only people along with longmans to actually make good power) and studied a lot of tuning & modification material, if you have the knowledge, access to a good engine builder and money then it's nice and easy! You just need to set a budget for each section of the car(you will need £4k minimum to make 200bhp)

yep my mate has a longman engine £3K for head alone but I thought they have gone bust?

Ajr

Reaction score
Yeah i turned left at the roundabout and you went right towards lye green and crowborough. Remember nutty wheelchair man vaguely, something twigged in my head but we've had a weekend in between then and now :lol:
Full of eccentric people groombridge is, i only ever go there for emergency supplies from the shop :)

I mainly drive the 106 but it's noisy and tiresome at the moment plus it needs work so i use the C2 sometimes.
Left my job so sold the clio and bmw and had already sold the 205 etc a few months previous.

Yep longmans were expensive, £6k+ for one of their engines. They have gone bust anyway as there was some pretty shoddy building going on(richard just trained people when he got older, they weren't as good as him, he would develop the engines though then they would copy his work). Anyway QEP supposedly don't build engines any more although they still sell the parts and do the machining work, they could be persuaded to do the build. I've still got my old engine here, been in for 4 years now, revving to 9k at times, still runs sweet :D

Reaction score
duffer987 said:
Pedants note for Marrow :p :wink:

Mk4 GTi
2774531651_8726886c20.jpg

Mk5 GTi
vw_golf_gti.jpg

Sorry Dallas - I meant I like the Mk5 Golf GTi. Am not a fan of the Mk3 or 4's (or 6 from what I've seen so far).