Reaction score
Reading some of the posts lately by people casually dropping things about the car like being able to disable the RAID by holding the switch down, checking the oil level electronically (a gem) and pulling the seat base forward, I thought there may be some other useful nuggets that all owners may not know about, so here is the place to spill all, however trivail you may think it is. Might turn into a very useful thread. I'll start;

By resetting the mpg computer on-the-fly on the way up to the Lakes recently I calculated that the best fuel economy was achieved when driving at around 57mph (in 5th gear obviously), saw it go as high as 48mpg! This was using Shell V-Power on straight, flat sections at a negligable height above sea-level, but I DO have a re-map, so a standard car may be very slightly better (or worse but I doubt it) than this. At 70 mph, 43mpg is easily achievable and it drops dramatically to about 27mpg at 100mph! Above this the experiment was hindered by loud words from the passenger seat.

Reaction score
Common problem with noisey passenger seat at high speed :-k Design fault me thinks. Should have left that seat out :lol:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Go faster the rattle from the passenger seat area totally disappears. :)

Reaction score
RAID

ok i am in IT and there is no RAID system in my car

redundant array of inexpensive disks ?

Reaction score
I didn't see the one about checking the oil level electronically, can you run that one past me?!

Reaction score
Thriller said:
I didn't see the one about checking the oil level electronically, can you run that one past me?!

Well, you hold the trip computer reset button in while the oil light is on after just turning the ignition key, it will tell you the oil level on the digital odometer by the number of squares out of a possible six. ie. [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] means you've been a good boy and [ ] means you need to get a service and possibly some new cams. :lol:

Reaction score
Steve Gunnis said:
Thriller said:

Well, you hold the trip computer reset button in while the oil light is on after just turning the ignition key, it will tell you the oil level on the digital odometer by the number of squares out of a possible six. ie. [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] means you've been a good boy and [ ] means you need to get a service and possibly some new cams. :lol:
bloody hope not :x

Reaction score
Not actually a secret, but I found a big improvement in traction from running the lower tyre pressures from my "Trophy Suspension settings" thread.

(28 front/ 27 rear versus the Renault recco of Front 34/ Rear 32)

Have not found time to get the geometry checked yet, but the tyre pressure change deffo helped.

Reaction score
Good tip, probably heat up to the recommended tyre pressures fairly quickly anyway, I'm on 31 front. 29 rear at the moment and it feels good, a bit better than the handbook ones although I haven't tried even lower yet.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I think everything has already been covered that i have found out about on the site....

1. aircon glove box - slide the little blue toggle to open at the back
2. extendable leg support on seat
3. auto locking doors - press and hold the central door locking switch for about 7 seconds
4. trip computer - oil indicator (not to be trusted)
5. what the switch on the accelorator is - deactivates CC & speed limited when pressed hard enough
6. jack handle - magically comes apart when placed under more than 110 nm of torque stress.
7. Radio & CD pause by pulling both volume buttons towards you at the same time - not sure if this is commonly known or not.
8. best o the lot - wiper stak coversion. The base model stalk can easily be switched with one from a Dynamique in 5 mins - all the electronic stuff is already in the car, you just need the stalk!!!

Future discoveries in the offing:
1. what the little wire is that hangs from the seat - i think it's likely to be electric seat orientated when connected to a motor.
2. how to control the auto door locking mechanism when leaving the car unattended but open - it has on occasions locked itself, knowing i'm not in the car. Not sure how yet, it's also annoying when your windows are open. :(

Reaction score
Cue said:
Future discoveries in the offing:
1. what the little wire is that hangs from the seat - i think it's likely to be electric seat orientated when connected to a motor

could it also be the wiring for the side airbags that are fitted to the rest of the clio range but is redundant as we have recaro's?

without looking under my seat i couldn't confirm or deny!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
it's actually comes from the seat though so i doubt it - it'd come from the car and not be connected if it was that. This looks as though there's wiring in the seat for something, knowing reno though they may have just left out the motor for the seat and put it on manual runners.

al

Reaction score
Dash lights test.

Hold the trip computer button (on the end of the wiper stalk) down as you turn the ignition on, it puts all the dials into a "test" mode, to set back to normal just turn the ignition off.

al

Reaction score
bakedbeats said:
Can someone briefly explain the seat extension pls?

If it's what I think it is, it's the front of the seat that pulls out:

0012.jpg
Look at the seat closest ^^

Reaction score
- Rear windscreen wiper will do a sweep if you have your front wipers on and engage reverse
- Mirrors heat up to clear condensation/frost when the rear demister is activated
- Front windscreen wipers will do a 'paused' second sweep if using the water spray in order to clean any residual water marks
- Various codes presented by the alarm LED depending on what has triggered the system
- Removal of Isofix rear bar to save a few kilos (if you don't have the need for children seating fixtures)
- Removal of acoustic valve to free airflow (put in place to meet EU noise compliance)
- Clip on interior of glovebox door to hold cards (I use mine to hold my Esporta card)
- Hook on petrol filler cap to hold petrol cap while filling tank
- Velcro in boot (which holds the car jack) can be expanded to accommodate a warning triangle
- There is a rectangular 'cubby' area under passenger front seat to store items such as wheel locking nut, first aid box etc.

That's all I can think of at the moment...

Cheers
O.