Reaction score
As I was moving cars about & an opportunity to take a quick pic presented itself.

The Trophy next to my Lancia integrale EVO & our recently purchased EP3 Civic Type-R Premier Edition.

P1000358.jpg
P1000354.jpg
P1000355.jpg

Reaction score
Clio wing mirrors are same colour as the wheels as I got some rattle cans made up to correct paint code.

Favourite to drive is always the integrale, it's pure theatre every journey. But each car is different & even the Recaro Trendlines in the Clio & Civic feel slightly different though same seat.

& one of our FTO GP version R, which is now sadly for sale as not practicable now for Emma as she's expecting our first child at end of June, the Civic is it's replacement.

The 2L V6 quad cam 24V is easily the nicest sounding engine of them all, though the integrale's 2L turbo with tubular manifold & 3" turbo back runs it close, and having a Torsen LSD as standard the best front end of the FWD cars. In fact overall the chassis is best of the FWD cars with full multi-link rear end with from factory adjustable camber & toe.

P1000317.jpg

Reaction score
Very nice cars you have there, in my preference i have to say my favorite is the Lancia Delta Integrali Evo, my friend is rebuilding a HF Turbo but its in a bit of a poor state so will be a rather big project, my second would be the Trophy, then the FTO and last but not least your new Civic Type-R there not as nice as the old style Type-R. At least you have by the looks of it the Premier edition with the upgraded seats, i cant see the optional fog lights though.

What would have been nice to see against these would have been a Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi in the miami Blue, either that or a Integra either DC2 or DC5 just wonder whats next on the list?

Reaction score
Yes our Civic is a Premier model so MOMO steering wheel, red carpets, Recaro Trendlines, rear privacy glass, all important air-con but yes no optional foglights which are £300!

My friend has a 205 & a Ph2 Clio 172 & even he says the 205 is no where near as good as the Clio. I nearly bought 205 GTis twice back in the 90's & both times bought R5 GTT's as I found them much better.

No DC2 Integra's as having driven them back to back for my money the FTO GPvR is a better car. In fact there is a video on YouTube of the Japanesse TV show Best Motoring of a DC2 V's GPvR V's Prelude 2.2 VTEC V's Fiat Coupe 20V turbo round I think Tsabuka (spelling?) & over 5 laps the FTO wins over DC2, Prelude & Fiat in that order. I genuinely believe the GPvR is totally overlooked in this country because of lesser automatic FTO's but then I remember Integra's as very dull 4 door cars from the early 90's when Hondas & Rovers were near enough the same very boring cars.

I love DC5's, but it shares the chassis, engine (ok slightly higher tune) & gearbox (again ok it has a LSD) with the EP3 & although it has isofix and a massive boot after looking at a few they are either rough or overpriced unfortunately. So you buy an EP3 which is a UK car, therefore cheaper insurance & more to choose from for more reasonable price.

I also used to have a Celica GT4 ST205 which for me was in a different league to the Integra's.

As for next car, no idea, I guess whatever takes our fancy, which at the moment is nothing.

Reaction score
Well sounds as though you had some rather nice cars, the GT4 was one i was going to mention however some i have seen lately look shocking after they have been body kitted.

I have to admit the DC2 has no where near as much grip as the T, as for the 205 GTi my friend has one and having driven his its a very very close match to the T, iv also driven a lesser 1.6 GTi that was lowered and i must say it surprised me on the level of grip its a mile ahead of a the T but only thing was it was so uncombable.

As for the DC5 iv never driven one would love to though but i know what you mean about not being tidy and over priced, i have driven the DC2 that my friend use to have his one was the imported JDM, his had a lightened flywheel and race spec clutch, it was a very raw power and always put a smile on your face, there is alot of power in them it was just the handling let it down for me.

I think if i had the spare cash rite now and knowing you look after your cars i would be purchasing the FTO off you its such a nice example and being a manual its a rather rare example, good luck with the sale im sure it will go to a good home.

Reaction score
Cracking Line up

How much do you want for the FTO? And do you have any more pictures of it?

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. We do love our cars a lot, & even though we're expecting our first child, a little girl at end of June, a non-fun car i.e. Ive stop enjoying life people carrier (appologies to anyone who has to live with one) was never considered.

We also have a little Fiat Cinquecento Abarth running 1.4L 16V 6speed box from panda 100HP trackday toy that we built ourselves. Who knows when that'll be used in anger again??

Here's a link to FTO owners club forum where non-members can read the cars for sale section where our far has full description & lots of pictures.

http://www.ftooc.org/forum/showthread.p ... ith-extras

Reaction score
Nice shot!!

I'm continually amazed at how much bigger modern cars are than previously, ie your Trophy looks bigger than the mid-size hatchback of the eighties (the Delta).

Check out my fleet from last year, the Golf is the size of a small house, whereas the Saxo makes even the clio look huge :lol:

DSC02764.gif

Reaction score
Sir_Dave said:
Nice shot!!

I'm continually amazed at how much bigger modern cars are than previously, ie your Trophy looks bigger than the mid-size hatchback of the eighties (the Delta).

Check out my fleet from last year, the Golf is the size of a small house, whereas the Saxo makes even the clio look huge :lol:

Thanks.

It is amazing how big cars have grown now, and its a bit of an optical allusion in the picture as the integrale is easily the widest car of them all, and the lowest, and in fact the heaviest at 1300kgs, to 1207kgs on the Civic and 1070kgs Clio iirc

Even though older cars are smaller on the outside, they seemed to be better packaged, as I remember moving a new under worktop 600mm wide fridge in the rear of my R5GTT with ease by just putting the seats down and still being able to close the hatch. Yet the Recaro pram we have bought for our new arrival will not even fit through the opening on Emma's dad's 500Abarth, just fits in the Clio, and easily fits in the Civic.

Of course I know cars now have to adhere to tougher rules regarding thier construction, but I have never prescribed to the school of thought of new cars being safer, preferring to acknowledge irrifutably that the safest car on the road is always the car thats not in an accident and that actually the best way to reduce accidents is through ongoing driver training :D

Reaction score
Nice to see you on here too. Congrats to you and Emma on your impending arrival, and can fully recommend the Recaro kids seats as we have been using one for the last year.

Glad you still have the 'grale & a Cento in there somewhere, though your old turbo really was fantastic. Have you been able to keep track of what happened to it after you let it go?

Is the number plate on the Civic alluding to a secret power boost for on the A43? K777ERS

Grant

Reaction score
Hi Grant,

Didn't realise you were on here. Thanks for the well wishes, new arrival here end of June. Got all the Recaro gear, Akuna pram & Carry Cot, & car seat thing then Young Sport 9month to 12 year car seat. They all match & look great. Total suckers go to Autosport Pistonheads show & buy it all off Recaro trade stand with 20% off & free delivery.

My old turbo Cinq went to a guy in Liverpool, a more mature owner as well who decided to melt a piston by driving on WOT for about 10miles down a dual carriageway at off the clock speeds.

He still has it in bits and keeps promising to fEmma's.

Emmas turbo Cinq is in Scotland now still going well & running Greddy Emanage & electronic boost control & was putting out 135bhp &140lb ft last time I heard.

Our 1.4L 16V 6speed Seicento Abarth went to Norfolk in Nov to a mature owner who bought it as a Christmas Gift for his wife to replace her 1999 Sei that they gave to their daughter.

But the track day Cinq is cool but unlikely to get used this Emma'sunless Emmas dad fancies insuring & Taxing it!

The K777ERS number plate was a present from my little sister which I had on my Ceica GT4. I removed it when I sold the car and it's been on retention ever since, so Emma blagged it when the new car came.

What you driving now? & forgot to add, do you still see Duncan?

Reaction score
Haven't seen Duncan for a while, I expect he is still into his Alfa's. I'd hate to guess what one he has now.

After the Cinq I had an old VTEC Prelude that has 200k miles and cost a fortune to keep on the road for 11 months. Sold it to a guy who came on the train from Blackpool after work and drove it to my house from the station. He then bought it for £200 and completed the formalities but couldn't get it to start. I offered him my jump leads but he put them on the wrong way round and blew a fuse. I had no spares, he had no AA membership and didn't accept my offer of the sofa bed so he was stiffed for non-member callout/joining fee from AA the following morning. No idea where he spent the night, but I saw him speed away first thing next morning in a cloud of smoke leaving the AA bloke laughing/choking.

For 3 years have had a 98 Puma with no history which has been the best car I've ever had. Great round the b-roads, started 1st time every morning for 3 years and next to nothing has gone wrong. Will be up for sale very soon, once I have my Trophy.

My wife currently has a Civic Type S with the automated manual. She loves it. It is perfect for her and should be big enough for 5 of us when the new baby comes at the end of June too. I think it is nice but slower than the Puma because of the weight and the steering has no real connection to the front wheels.

Looking forward to getting my T next week, the Puma feels a bit slow doing A & B road overtakes.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
aaron, i did the same - still have the young sport in black with red trim, looks like it's hand crafted for the T :)

Also, they not actually made by Recaro - they're just branded that as the german car seat maker (can't remember the name now) who mfts them uses their distribution channels. Useless piece of trivia there for you :wink:

Reaction score
Grant that story about the guy buying the Prelude is best I've read in ages, really made me laugh.

Always like the Racing Puma, in fact Emnas dad when he worked for Tickford did some of the development work on it, but it never sold as well as Ford promised Tickford who set up an assembly plant at Daventry to make them, so they lost money on them.

Yeah the red & black Recaro baby stuff dies look tailor made for the Trophy, & as our Civic is a Premier it has black & red Recaro Trendlines which are even better in matching up!

I'll stick some pics up of our other cars, one of which the FTO looks likely to be sold this weekend, but 5 cars is silly really.

& thanks for all the good wishes :)