pol

Reaction score
i think i will be in need of some rear shocks soon.
what's your thoughts on replacements?
i was going to go for koni or original trophy sachs.

i've been quoted £113 inc vat + postage for the trophy sachs
and £93 inc vat + postage for Koni's.

i am tempted by the £40 saving from the trophy sachs and had koni's on other cars without any issues in the past.

does anyone have part numbers for konis? i have been told it was these
http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/framefix.asp?productcode=K-8010-1048SPORT&PID=858024

but those part numbers says excluding the cup model on the koni site (http://www.koni.com/index.php?id=254) so not sure if that is correct or not? i thought it was only the front that had a different fitment?

Reaction score
Sorry was going to reply last night but got sidetracked, I would personally stay away from koni I had issues with 2 sets one leaked another didn't work on compression dampening. I currently have spax fitted which are miles ahead in quality to koni however there 20 mm shorter than standard and with standard springs they top out and knock on smaller bumps. Personally if your staying with standard springs then go for standard Sachs if your going lower then dependant on how low depends on what to go for. After me having had good results with spax I will soon be changing to a spax rear coilover set up on the rear its either that or avo coilovers however they don't come with helper springs. Hope this helps and others may rate koni but I work on cars with koni on daily basis and there not as good now compared to others, one make I rate are bilstein however they don't as far as I'm aware make them for a T

pol

Reaction score
cheers for the reply.
it's got mark fish supplied eibach springs on it so a bit lower than std.
bilstein don't do an adjustable shock but do have a lowered version. they have always had a great name in the vw circles.
i've got avo's on my track car and not had any issues with them. are their rear dampers any good for the clio? i suspect they will be the same damper supplied with the coilover kit.
not come across spax in a long time. last time i did it was on my cousins corsa sport which had a full kit on it. it had an awful ride on it. it would have rattled your teeth out on long journeys.

(with regards the coilover kits your looking at i wouldn't worry about helper springs too much if your not looking to have it super low. they are designed to stop the spring dislocating in the platform when the car is jacked up. the spring platforms are similar to the newer vw's and they rarely have the helper springs in kits. the ones that do, quite a lot of the guys bin them as they can get the car 10mm lower without using them! personally i wouldn't be looking to go that low anyway as i prefer performance over cracked sumps and bald tyres from running too much camber!)

Reaction score
I had a choice between avo and spax and i found that the avo's are again 20mm shorter, i emailed avo regarding this to find out, i must admit i was tempted with the avo shocks for the rear but never got them not sure why i think avo and spax are on par with one another to be honest.

As for quality of spax they have greatly improved and the corsa shocks always had issues with knocking which i believe has been fixed now with revised shocks. They also don't corrode like they use to however do suffer with the adjusters seizing but so do avo shocks just waxoyl the adjusters thats what i done to protect them from grit and dirt.

Avo shocks are different to the coilover set ups as both of them are a coilover, not a shock, spring and seat adjuster if that makes sense. The avo coilovers there is 2 sets ones a gtx and ones gtz i can't remember what ones are more track orientated however if you send avo an email there really quick in replying.

The one thing about the spax and mark fish springs as thats what im running atm is that they do top out on smaller bumps its only minor but i can still hear it, i know its topping out as if i have a full car load and drive theres no noise there spot on. I think the issue with my mark fish springs is that they seem a bit long, iv seen pictures of some others on mark fish and eibach and both seem to sit lower than mine, i don't seem to have much of a drop on the rear with the mark fish springs hence why im looking into going lower with the coilover setup.
I also find that the spax on full soft are pretty much same as full soft on koni's, mine are currently set on one full turn and one click and i think the max i can go on dampening is 3 full turns so thats pretty hard if not solid, i find the ride on the spax that iv set them on atm is slightly softer than the sachs.
I would certainly try the avo shocks as there pretty much same price as spax, the spax btw come complete with bump stops and top mounts so its just a matter of unbolt and bolt new shock in.

Personally if bilstein done a set of rear shocks that were a standard length i would snap them up straight away there build quality beats everyone. Where did you find the bilsteins anyway as i had a look everywhere but all i can see is the ones for the non sports models, or the coilover setup for the 172/182 non cup model.