Reaction score
Re: Project : Workshop (56K ?!)

Car storage.

Track down a wealthy owner of an exotic car via forums and offer secure storage. A set of go-jaks and a carcoon is all you need, it'll cost you only the power to run the carcoon, and you don't have to do anything! Just make sure its insured!

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.

Have you not got a damp course ala membrane?
No chance of digging pit was there?

There will be a membrane under the concrete floor but thats it. The fibre cement roofing sheets reduce condensation considerably over tin roofing sheets and there is no chance water is getting in through the sheets lining the sides. If condensation becomes a problem I may choose to line the walls and attempt to fully seal it but I think it will be fine.

I thought about a pit for some time but the ground is solid limestone rock, I would have needed dynamite, peckering 2' holes for the footings was hard enough, that was what put me off the idea. I made sure the building was high enough to install a car lift before discarding the idea completely. :)

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.

Car storage.

Track down a wealthy owner of an exotic car via forums and offer secure storage. A set of go-jaks and a carcoon is all you need, it'll cost you only the power to run the carcoon, and you don't have to do anything! Just make sure its insured!

Do you own an exotic car ? £25/week ? :wink:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.

i was going to say a car lift may be the way to go knowing the geographical area of where it's built - them hills have lasted a few thousand millennia lol...

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.

The last 2 weeks have been great. I’ve been off work so almost every day has been spent working on the building, the weather has been awesome.

All the sheets are on now and it is starting to look more like a workshop.

Once all the sheets were fitted the barge boards and corner pieces were fitted, I’ve yet to fit the front ones but the back of the building is completely finished and looks superb I think, Im really impressed with it.

DSCF3633.jpg

DSCF3646.jpg

DSCF3648.jpg

DSCF3647.jpg

I ordered 20 Tonne of recycled aggregate, it’s used to level out the base of the building before the cement goes in. £7 per Tonne.
I spent all day today levelling it out in the building using a shovel and wheelbarrow, Im broke!

DSCF3658.jpg

DSCF3668.jpg

DSCF3665.jpg

DSCF3669.jpg

DSCF3671.jpg

I took another delivery today of 10 8x2 wooded joists 4.8M in length. These will be used as shuttering on the outside of the building to stop the concrete escaping and to stop the sheets from bowing. I could have bought cheaper alternatives but I plan to use these joists at a later date after they have been used for shuttering, £17 each.

DSCF3679.jpg

Things left to do:

DSCF3677.jpg

Front corner pieces and barge boards
Finish off roller shutter door
Guttering
Concrete

Then it’s finished!

DSCF3652.jpg

^ Moo…

Ben

Last edited:
Reaction score

Daisy and Molly (see above) :lol:

Preparing for XMAS lunch - :twisted:

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.

Daisy and Molly (see above)

Preparing for XMAS lunch -

Ha, it's best not to name them, you get too attached, another 18 months before they are ready to be served with chips.

Good work Ben, looks the business. What's going to go in it?

Originally there was no main purpose for the building but it's something which has a million uses so to speak. I guess it will be mainly used to work on the car., fix it, wash it, clean it etc... At some point there will be a tarmac drive leading from the gate to the building and a big area of tarmac with a drain. The drain has already been installed underground and just leads off to another point in the field, this stops the place flooding and the guttering of the building will be connected to it at some point. It also means I can wash the car and not get water running everywhere.

Mains water is being connected next year, I cant remember the exact quote price but it was over £1000.

Ben

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.

I started a new job around 9 weeks ago and I have been working away from home for most of this time so nothing had been done for 9 weeks. Im on to a good thing now as I work in Denmark for 2 weeks then I get 2 weeks off, this is until after the new year so I can get plenty done on the 2 weeks off , at least that is the plan.

Im on my 'hols' now so I managed to get the roller shutter door fitted. Having never fitted a roller shutter door before all I can say is what a nightmare it was. Since the last update I have had to completely remove the door and start from scratch! The problem was that I never pre tensioned the spring inside the roller so when all the shutters were fitted there was not enough spring tension to help with the opening of the door. I'ts a VERY heavy door so it needed alot of spring tension.
After asking people in the know (which is probably what I should have done to begin with) I found out the door should be balanced between the weight of the door pulling down and the spring tension pulling up when the door is half way open. So basically when the door is half open it will just stay there, then when the door is closed the spring is tensioned further.

All sorted now.

P1020109.jpg

Ben

Last edited:
Reaction score

Looks awesome Ben, ope they'll always be room in it for your Trophy :)

Been clearing out my brother old garage and doing up recently just for my Dad to park tractor in it lol.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.

Brilliant ! :D

It must be a fair size Keith if you can fit a tractor in it.
You cant beat having a clean and organized workplace. The other week my workshop was clean and clutter free, I thought ill just put this in here out of the way, then this, then that, its amazing how quickly things build up and the next min its cluttered. I will regret this later when I have to move everything out again to lay the concrete.

Reaction score

You'll soon find it starts building up rather quickly! I emptied mine out and it's slowly building up again!.......the clutter that is!
Ah so this is where you've been hiding! Haha

Reaction score
Trophy No.

Does it have a decent echo? :D

That is ridiculously big.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.

Does it have a decent echo?

That is ridiculously big.

No echo but it sounds fantastic revving the engine in there :D

Having the car in there really puts the size into perspective, just being able to work around the car with ease is such a nice feeling and plays a massive part in motivating me to get things done.
I think once the concrete floor goes in it will look even bigger, Im looking forward to that going in at the beginning of the new year, the dust from the floor is slowly building up on my lovely shiny red paint :cry:.

You'll soon find it starts building up rather quickly! I emptied mine out and it's slowly building up again!.......the clutter that is!

If you'r ever thinking 'Where's Ben?' This is where you'll find me :wink:

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score

BenG said:

If you'r ever thinking 'Where's Ben?' This is where you'll find me :wink:

Just need to get a toilet, bar, internet connection, snooker and BIG TV in there and you can live in it! :)

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.

Well, after a long winter I am finally ready to have the concrete floor done.

I got my quotes through today…

Compact existing sub base with whaker plate - (it is presumed edge shutters are fitted and sub base levels have been prepared by others) - £55 (+VAT)

Supply A393 welded mesh, ties wires, spacers - £612 (+VAT)

Install single layer of A393 welded mesh sheets to full area to receive concrete finished floor - £135 (+VAT)

Hire concrete pump to place concrete (minimum hire) - £344 (+VAT)

Supply ST3 Concrete (based on area 13m x 7m x 150mm thick) - £1185 (+VAT)

Lay and finish concrete floor - 4 hrs 4men to lay floor - 6hrs 2 men to finish - £630 (+VAT)

Floor finishing plant and fuel - £50 (+VAT)

cut a crack control joint through the centre of the floor once the slab has cured, Seal cut with suitable flexible sealant - £75 (+VAT)

:cry: TOTAL - £3703 :cry:

I’m thinking of doing without the wire mesh which would fetch the total cost down to…(drum roll please)

£2800

It brings a tear to my eye

Reaction score
Just a thought...would no steel result in the floor not being strong enough to bolt a lift in place without it breaking up under the weight?