Reaction score
Trophy No.
Re: Project : Workshop (56K ?!)

Are you putting a concrete base over the top of the shale?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.

Are you putting a concrete base over the top of the shale?

Yeah 6" Concrete Base.

What happens next is the framework is fixed to the footings, the roof is fitted and then the concrete base goes in. This way when the side sheets are fitted they will overlap the concrete meaning the elements keep out. When the concrete base is in im using some industrial floor paint to give it a smooth finish, its about £50 a tin though!

Reaction score

It would probably be a nice touch to have the floor skimmed before painting it to get a real smooth finish. Plus the paint will last years, not days!

Reaction score

Looking awesome Ben. Cumbrian Trophy meet in your garage? 8)
Russ

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.

It would probably be a nice touch to have the floor skimmed before painting it to get a real smooth finish. Plus the paint will last years, not days!

yeah good idea that thanks (tup)

Looking awesome Ben. Cumbrian Trophy meet in your garage?
Russ

Cheers Russ, get 9 Trophy's in there I think if you dont tke into consideration the turning circle :wink:

Ben

Reaction score

Awesome progress, wish my older borther would have build our garage similar to this :lol:

pol

Reaction score

updates required! it should be done by now. :)

i will need to send you a pm. my uncle is building a house and i have just about convinced him to build something similar to house my race car tools and his mg. :)

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.

updates required! it should be done by now.

I wish! It's been a lot of work but its showing signs of progress now. Feel free to PM me if you want to ask any questions etc :)

The anchoring bolts have been fitted so everything is nice and secure now. The framework has been finished except the 2 pieces of framework for the personnel door.

P1010643.jpg

My dad has taken a week off work so I thought I’d join him and set about fitting the roof. Im hoping to have the roof fitted and the floor set ready for laying the concrete base by Sunday 4th July. It’s a big ask, although my dad did seem to think we would have the building fully finished by this time, I don’t have a clue what was going through his head to be honest.

Its hard work fitting the roof with just 2 of us, the fibre cement sheets are quite heavy. We get them up the building by sliding them up a ladder then I have to crawl across to fasten them. Some of them have to be cut at the corners otherwise we will end up with 4 overlapping sheets so all of this is very time consuming especially when there are 52 sheets to fit and they all have to be cut and lined up accurately.

The roof so far…

P1010650.jpg

P1010665.jpg

P1010667.jpg

P1010661.jpg

P1010663.jpg

P1010657.jpg

As it stands…

P1010634.jpg

P1010626.jpg

P1010642.jpg

P1010620.jpg

P1010623.jpg

Ben

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.

you sure you're not going to sell the T and take up flying? looks like an aircraft hanger lol...

Reaction score
Trophy No.

BenG said:
The anchoring bolts have been fitted so everything is nice and secure now.

Ben

And you were worried it was going somewhere? :shock:

:lol:

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.

you sure you're not going to sell the T and take up flying? looks like an aircraft hanger lol...

:lol: That will always be the dream... :) If only the money I would get for the Trophy would be enough to fund an aircraft.

And you were worried it was going somewhere?

Ha! You never know when an earthquake might strike, then all my very accurate measuring will be ruined!

On another note, 2/3 of the roof is complete and has been tested as it chucked it down before and it doesn't leak, thank god. :D

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.

Update:

No it isn't finished :)

The roof has been assembled, and tested, and it works! :D. It looks good and it should easily last 30 years.

DSCF3555.jpg

DSCF3579.jpg

Originally I was going to lay the Concrete before I put up the sides but the weather has been poor and the wood is not treated to stand the elements so I have decided to put up the sides first. Laying the concrete afterwards is not a problem. I think now the concrete will be the last job and as it will be covered laying it late on in the year shouldn’t be a problem as long as it’s not too cold.

DSCF3601.jpg

DSCF3603.jpg

^^^ The inside of the sheets are a nice White shade which makes it look really clean and they will reflect the light so should help brighten up the place.

DSCF3597.jpg

DSCF3607.jpg

DSCF3604.jpg

DSCF3605.jpg

Im officially unemployed until 1st September now so hopefully I should get a lot done in this time. I’ve got a new job so I decided to leave my previous one a couple weeks early.

The Trophy loves her new home!

DSCF3576.jpg

Ben

Reaction score

That's amazing. I wish I'd never seen this as I would love something like that but it's not very likely. :)

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.

Thanks Luke :) .

Mat,

Im not sure on the price for the roofing sheets alone as they came as part of the Kit price. I have prices for the Roller Shutter Door and the Personnel Door and the rest is part of the kit. There were additional costs for PVC coated sheets over Tin sheets and having everything painted Juniper Green.
There was also a HUGE cost to have it built for me which is why I decided to do it myself, with help of course :)

Ben

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.

I've been very busy on my week off, I've managed to fit the sheets on both sides and the back of the building and I have fitted the personnel door, now I can get in and out of the building :wink:,

DSCF3623.jpg

DSCF3622.jpg

The roller shutter door is 90% completed too, all I need to do is slide on the rest of the shutters.

DSCF3618.jpg

DSCF3624.jpg

Good progress I feel :D

Ben

Reaction score

That is so sweet mate, just seen this post for the first time. How many car enthusiasts would love to be in the position to do this! It sounds so sad, but ur living the dream! haha!

Reaction score

I'll be totally honest here, if I may? When this thread started, I thought "uh oh, home build workshop... :shock: ". But I am very impressed. It looks very professional, better than a lot of small businesses run out of. Do you have any plans to rent space out?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.

I'll be totally honest here, if I may? When this thread started, I thought "uh oh, home build workshop... ". But I am very impressed. It looks very professional, better than a lot of small businesses run out of. Do you have any plans to rent space out?

:lol: Even I'm suprised with how well it's turned out ! There are a few bits that are not quite as accurate as they should be, such as; the footings are not all at the same level which causes a few small problems when it comes to lining the sheets up. But, like I said at the beginning, everything was lined up by spirit level and eye and to be honest it's turned out pretty well considering. Also, everyone who has helped me along the way, including myself, have had no experience with building this type of structure and there are no instructions other than drawings of the framework.

I have no plans to rent it out, I'm going to use it for my own personal means :) .I would like to run my own business from is as mentioned, any ideas :?:

Ben