Reaction score
Have done 1300miles in my Trophy since mid-Dec. It has improved noticeably since then, but I still find it underpowered. I would expect more from a lightweight car with 2-litre 16valve engine - it just doesn't pull like I was expecting. A test drive I had in a standard 172 two years ago seemed very different - one of the reasons I preferred the 172 over a Civic Type R, for example, was the more muscular delivery at lower revs, more accessible power. I ended up buying neither car, but that memory was what moved me to buying the Trophy pretty much on spec when the opportunity arose.

I can't remember how many miles were on the clock of the demo 172 I drove. Have you guys noticed a marked imrpovement as the miles go on? Other than that the engine may be more eager to rev and smoother, for example, but a real and noticable power/torque hike?

Thanks

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
You're not the only one, I've spoken to a few Trophy owners that have said the same. On the track i've definitely noticed it doesn't pull out of corners as well my 34k 172 did. There feels like there's a definite lack of midrange torque.

Mine has done 8000 miles now and it is finally starting to open up a bit I think. These engines do seem to take a long time to reach their full potential. I'd say the sooner you can get 10k on it the better really.

Reaction score
I bought my old 172 with 7k on the clock and that just got quicker as the miles went on. As Nik says I reckon around 10k will be when the engine is hitting it's sweet spot.

If you want to know for sure how much your Trophy is putting out, you should come to the RR day - http://cliotrophy.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=778 :D

Reaction score
Ive said it before, but ill say it again.

I would be suprised if you are actually getting 180 bhp (or whatever it is). The engine will losen up as it get to 10k, it will still be tight at 2k.

If you think you are down on power i would get the engine checked over by someone like Nick Hill at Hillpower. He can swap the restrictive type inlet and exhaust ports for the more freely flowing ones. Some cars gain 10-15 bhp immediately this is done. Also he found some of the cranks on these engines are way to heavy. Get it removed and blueprinted.

If your car doesnt shout 'mental' at you everytime you drive it on a b road, id say you have a 'slow' one.

Reaction score
I guess we will get a pretty good understanding of the miles these engines take before they start making full power at the RR day. I've got 4k on mine, Nik has 8k and I think Hyb has around the 2k mark, so it is quite a good cross-section of Trophy mileage.

Reaction score
I think I've got lucky (fingers crossed) as mine's got a little over 2K on her and following a progressive increase in the revving while running her in (always from warm) she seems to put the power down nicely. No lack of mid range grunt. She does seem to be loosening up slowly a little more every week, but I'd not put her as slow even now. Noticably nippier than the full fat 182 I test drove which had about 5 or 6 K on as I recall...

Reaction score
Seemingly the limiter comes down if the oil is cold, or the EMU detects anything else amiss, wonder if yours has some sort of reset required? :(

I had a bit of a thrash the other day and although my eyes were more on the road than dash, limiter seemed to be a dab past 7K in second.

Reaction score
My thanks for your replies. It does put my mind at rest somewhat!

I'll check my diary and see if I can come to the Janspeed day. I live in Woking so Salisbury is a nice blat over.

Let's hope no mfr reps are looking but: do those inlet/exhaust mods and crank blueprint activities get noticed by the local garage monkeys when I come to get it serviced? I don't waht to jeapordise my warranty, or insurance. But I was expecting something special from this engine/chassis combination, and thus far the engine has let me down a bit.

Reaction score
sorry should just also have added: I have noticed the rev limited changing as the engine warms/runs in, as posted elsewhere on this forum. Was frustrated in overtaking other cars, partly due to power, but also through bouncing off the limiter before the marked redline. Yet, last weekend when I went for a bit of a blash around Surry/Hants, I was able to get up to the redline a few times (purely for experimental reasons).

So, cold redline ~6700rpm, warm/run-in redline ~7200rpm from what I could tell.

Possibly the redline is lower in 1st, or 1st/2nd gears. Few roads available to test the redine in higher gears!

Reaction score
Before you worry id get some more miles on the engine. Some can take 20k to loosen up if you are mechanically symapthetic with your driving.

Reaction score
King Stromba said:
Before you worry id get some more miles on the engine. Some can take 20k to loosen up if you are mechanically symapthetic with your driving.
Conclusion: I should nail it more often? Wow!

Bit concerned that any engine should be that tight for that length of time. I'd need to drive to Italy and back a few times to get it to the right state of tune.

Reaction score
My engine goes absolutely insane when it gets past 5k - all hell breaks loose (including traction)!!!

Reaction score
The better you treat your engine, the longer it will take to run in and loosen up, and the longer it will last.

Day

Reaction score
45k on mine and it's responsive up and down the rev range.
More so then when it had 28k on it.

Reaction score
172's / 182's with about 25,000 / 30,000 feel much much better.

noticably quicker.

at 50,000, mine opened up again.

/y0z

Reaction score
Crazy engine's!

What's it all about, why does it take so long until they are at their sweetest? :?

Reaction score
We(meaning the guys at Greek Renault club) have also noticed that.....

As the km's are passing by the engine seems to give more and more power.....

Can't say why is this happening,but seems that all Renaults do it.....

Has anyone visited the dyno??There is a rumor that 182 aren't producing 182 but little less(170-175 max) @ the crank.