Reaction score
Has anyone done theirs?

Not sure why but i've got a bit of an urge to paint mine yellow :?

i need convincing it's either a good idea or shoot me down in flames and told not to do it!

Reaction score
T23PHY said:
Has anyone done theirs?

i need convincing it's either a good idea or shoot me down in flames and told not to do it!

Gareth, have you been thumbing through Max Power on your lunch break you naughty boy. You could do it but it's a bit crass. There's a Honda Accord near me that has it's rear brake drums painted bright green. When I walked past it I actually laughed out loud and pointed, and this mean looking fucker in the pub was staring at me so I stopped laughing out loud.

P.S. If you're going to do it, Red or silver would be much better. But to be honest just buy a mountain bike, the modifications are endless, much cheaper and you won't have to ruin your pride and joy.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Silver, black or an anthracite colour would be ok i'd say. I painted the calipers on my old 172 silver as they'd started to get a bit rusty looking and they did look good, subtle but effective.

The calipers on my Trophy are ok at the moment so i wouldn't bother, but if i do in the future id probably go with silver again.

DSC00081.JPG

Reaction score
Leave them alone, or if you really have to then go silver! Supercars yes, Superhatches no.
Steve - Mountain Bikes have cost me a fortune over the years! As you say, modifications are endless, but not cheap! I've had a couple of different S Works in the past and am now riding a Commencal Meta 5.3 since my last Enduro Pro got pinched from the Open House garden. They've cost me a bloody fortune!

Reaction score
Very strange, looks like you might be my new riding buddy. I've got a Stumpjumper FSR Pro at the moment that i've had for a few years now, I used to build my own bikes but when my pride and joy was stolen from Portsmouth (More thieves per square foot than a Liverpudlian Robbers convention). It had a ceramic composite frame, full XTR drivetrain and brakes and Marzocchi Bomber Z1 BAM's (back in the day when they were the best). I decided to just get one off the shelf after that so I wouldn't get attached to it!

Thanks for the tip about losing your bike 3 metres from my house, I won't be leaving that outside for a second then!

Sorry, off topic, brake calipers, painted, no.

Reaction score
stevegunnis said:
T23PHY said:
Has anyone done theirs?

Gareth, have you been thumbing through Max Power on your lunch break you naughty boy.

4 days of being ill without any contact with the outside world as well as double dosing Lemsip & Beechams All-in-One does strange things to your trail of thought. Especially gives you some whipped up dreams!

Reaction score
Now that you're better you can stop having nightmares about lemsip yellow calipers!

Reaction score
stevegunnis said:
Now that you're better you can stop having nightmares about lemsip yellow calipers!

:lol:

back to a normalish trail of thought, a panel filter and exhaust seem like better modifications :p

Reaction score
Off topic a bit - I used to love my Bombers like I love the shocks on the trophy! Having switched from Judy's to the first production pair of Bombers that came into the country (Used to run a bike shop) it was like a different world! They were on a gorgeous 94 S works FSR (Same one that Jason McRoy used to ride) that I cherished. (always had a thing for Red) Sold it when I moved to New Zealand to a mate, and he's still got it. Lovely bike.

Anyway, glad to hear that you've come through your 5 minutes of madness without sacrificing the Trophy to the world of Max Power mr T23 PHY. Would be a shame to see any more of them looking like that shocker with all the silver paint.

Reaction score
chiefbadger said:
Anyway, glad to hear that you've come through your 5 minutes of madness without sacrificing the Trophy to the world of Max Power mr T23 PHY. Would be a shame to see any more of them looking like that shocker with all the silver paint.

there's no way i could bear to make mine anywhere near as bad as that. i think all 490 something remaining owners agree that's not the way to make your Trophy better

Reaction score
Glad to hear it mate! I struggle with a bit of a sticker fettish, but am trying very hard not to subject the trophy to it! So far just the ClioTrophy and Rentech stickers have made it on. :)

Reaction score
chiefbadger said:
Glad to hear it mate! I struggle with a bit of a sticker fettish, but am trying very hard not to subject the trophy to it! So far just the ClioTrophy and Rentech stickers have made it on. :)

LOL, know what you mean here, as Mies Van Der Rohe said; "Less is more". But then again you may be postmodernist and think "Less is a bore" A la Venturi. Sorry.

Gareth - There's a guy over on Renaultsport who's thinking of getting a Trophy but doesn't like the way the rear bench doesn't match (Aah diddums) so you could hop over there and post a picture of your rear seats (they looked awesome) if you're bored/still ill/avoiding work.

Olly - The video of McRoy on the red S-Works (the one dedicated to him) used to be my favourite, he died just as I was getting into bikes and was my sort of hero. I can't believe you had one of these and sold it! My friends over in New Zealand now, can I get him to buy it off your mate?! I absolutely loved the Bombers, they used to take so much punishment, I had them on a titanium frame originally and after hitting a Daewoo at 25mph, the front wheel was about 8 inches across, the frame was bent across two tubes and the Bombers were completely undamaged! Italian engineering at it's best.

Reaction score
stevegunnis said:
[Gareth - There's a guy over on Renaultsport who's thinking of getting a Trophy but doesn't like the way the rear bench doesn't match (Aah diddums) so you could hop over there and post a picture of your rear seats (they looked awesome) if you're bored/still ill/avoiding work.

i've got a few pic's but no idea where the topic is, point me in the right direction and i'll show him whats possible

Reaction score
T23PHY said:
stevegunnis said:
[Gareth - There's a guy over on Renaultsport who's thinking of getting a Trophy but doesn't like the way the rear bench doesn't match (Aah diddums) so you could hop over there and post a picture of your rear seats (they looked awesome) if you're bored/still ill/avoiding work.

i've got a few pic's but no idea where the topic is, point me in the right direction and i'll show him whats possible

http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/community ... IC_ID=6969

Here's a link to the thread but to be honest you'd be better off sending fewie_172 a PM, I think he posts mainly on Cliosport anyway, if you post on that thread it will get hijacked by the resident turds and end up being a slagging off by someone with a VXR/197/other garbage. :wink:

Reaction score
stevegunnis said:
T23PHY said:
stevegunnis said:

http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/community ... IC_ID=6969

Here's a link to the thread but to be honest you'd be better off sending fewie_172 a PM, I think he posts mainly on Cliosport anyway, if you post on that thread it will get hijacked by the resident turds and end up being a slagging off by someone with a VXR/197/other garbage. :wink:

cheers Steve. i'll go via cliosport, tend to avoid that forum a lot of the time, check out the for sale post i made over there for reasons why!

Reaction score
I know what you mean, The novelty of winding people up wore off very quickly and seems to have the same threads on a two week cycle. (197 vs. 182 , 197 vs. everything else, yawn) They're a right bunch of cupid stunts.