Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a Trophy in September but I've noticed a few of the regulars on here commenting about the motorway ride.

Is it really as bad as people make it out to be? I'll be frequently travelling to Birmingham, Bristol and London so I'll be hitting the motorway quite a lot.

Is the Trophy not the car for me then?

Also would anyone be kind enough to make a list of exactly what I'd be losing out on if I purchased a Trophy rather than a 182FF?

Regards,
Tashon.

Reaction score
Everyones got their own tolerances of what they will put up with on the motorway...

The Trophy is clearly not a motorway cruiser, but I certainly have had no problems with mine but then a super smooth ride has never bothered me. Yes it'll be noisy, and bump a bit with the firm suspension, but realistically it's no worse than most cars 15 years ago - it's only our perceptions that have changed!

If anything I find it more annoying over rutted urban roads at low speed, as the ride tends to become more composed as speed increases.

Reaction score
(wave) Hello and welcome

I think it depends on how much motorway driving you do in comparison with B road driving (because this is where the Trophy is in a league of its own)

I dont find the ride quality that bad, there are certainly worse cars out there! Stick the cruise control on and relax.

Its down to you as the driver how much your prepared to put up with.

Get those damper pins removed then you can tighten them up or down to suit your own style...awesome!

As for the comparison to the 182FF...

You lose:

Rain Sensitive Wipers
Xenon Headlights
The Half Leather Rear Bench

Theres probably more that im missing..

But you gain:

Adjustable Sachs Motorsport dampers
Recaro's
Lightweight Speedline alloys
and a couple of other little treats http://cliotrophy.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2473

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Especially Dave. I think I'm 80% certain of getting a Trophy - I like the exclusivity of the Trophy. I'll definately have it Permaguarded - looks the sex :D

Seems like a really cool community here, I think I'll like it :)

Reaction score
Just get one man - you wont care about th motorway ride after you hit some corners and twisty A/B roads.

Reaction score
Hi Tashon, Welcome to ClioTrophy. :D

What's this bollocks about the motorway ride? I've done 350 miles journeys in it, used to commute 50 miles a day and will be driving 850 miles to the South of France in three weeks with the girlfriend. If the ride was that bad I don't think I'd be doing it. One of the things the Trophy received acclaim for was the supple ride considering the lack of body roll and stiffness, this is where the expensive dampers come into their own, but don't forget this is a performance shopping trolley and as such does (and should) feel like one. If it felt smooth and sloppy and like an Audi, I wouldn't have bought one, it feels stiffly sprung because it is, it does not make it uncomfortable on a smooth, straight piece of tarmac but won't filter out all the ridges, ruts and bumps like a Lexus, and it does jiggle after compressions at speed, but this gives it a lovely solid, planted feel that adds to the overall feeling of the car.

If you want a comfortable motorway cruiser, then you're probably looking at the wrong car but if you want an excellent, cheap to buy and run driver's car that will make you grin every time you drive it and make you take the long way round but one that also has everyday practicality, achieves 40mpg on the motorway and has a firm but compliant ride then buy a Trophy. I promise you won't regret it.

I've got mine Permagarded and...well,,,let's just say if my bed was bigger, the girlfriend would be parked outside in the cold. :wink:

Reaction score
Steve are you off to Monaco? I am planning trip there over summer when my girlfriend buggers off to Canada for two weeks.

Reaction score
Ok, I think I've definately decided on getting one. I realise the speakers need upgrading because if they're anything like the ones in my mum's 1.2 Dynamique then I'll cry!

PS:
@Steve: I refused to go out with the girlfriend so I could find pics of more Permaguarded Trophy's...needless to say she wasn't very happy!

Reaction score
There not too bad in the trophy but I replaced mine with a Pioneer job. Pioneer head unit with ipod connector in glove box. Speackers in front with tweekers and stealth shelf with big un's in the back!

G

I too was concerned about how refined it may be before I purchased mine, but I need not have worried. It really isn't bad on the motorway at all. The ride settles down, the engine noise isn't obtrusive on part-throttle, it's decent enough on fuel and the seats are comfortable. The only thing I'd say against it is that it can be revving a bit much when you're going over about 80mph. This is coming from someone who does a lot of miles in a BMW 5 Series - a car which feels the same at 70 or 140mph. :shock:

So, in short, no I wouldn't try and start a chauffeuring company with a fleet of Trophys, but I can't imagine it's any different on the motorway to a regular 182 or a Fiesta ST or something like that. Perfectly acceptable. :)

Reaction score
I've done 28k in my Trophy, of which most are motorway miles... no problems at all. In fact, I love the 'pitlane' limiter... this is so much better than cruise control!

Reaction score
Tashon said:
Thanks guys!

Especially Dave. I think I'm 80% certain of getting a Trophy - I like the exclusivity of the Trophy. I'll definately have it Permaguarded - looks the sex :D

Seems like a really cool community here, I think I'll like it :)

Motorway driving is not bumpy at all IMO - i regualrly drive both the Trophy and a FF182 and notice no difference at all between the two of them on the motorway. In the Trophy you have the added benefit of a lower driving position and comfy Recaros :D

P.S. I have a nice little Trophy for sale and in no hurry to sell it (havent even decided what new car to buy yet) - it's in the for sale section though :wink:

Reaction score
Ride quality must be one of those very subjective things then because it rides like a bucking Bronco compared to my old Elise! I don't think the car is actually all that stiffly sprung, it's the damping that makes it the ride harsh / bouncy, combined with the high roll stiffness on the rear, which limits suspension travel and reduces the independence of each side so the car's body is always being jiggled over bumps.

You really have to question why you're buying a Trophy if you do a lot of motorway miles IMO - they live for corners, and roundabouts in particular. I just cannot help scoot through them conserving as much momentum as possible! :)

Reaction score
Ride's fine fella. No probs here - and my back's 35 now :lol:

Been to my parents in glasgow last week (got 354 miles out of a tank :shock: ) and occasionally have to do the london - oxford commute. The glasgow run did get a bit much towards the end i'll be honest, but 6 hours in any car will do your head in. Biggest problem was that after about 5 hours the radio decided it was too hot and stopped working for 20 mins. Did make me realise that the little car is actually quite quiet when gently cruising along the motorway 8)

Reaction score
__CA__ said:
Ride quality must be one of those very subjective things then because it rides like a bucking Bronco compared to my old Elise! I don't think the car is actually all that stiffly sprung, it's the damping that makes it the ride harsh / bouncy, combined with the high roll stiffness on the rear, which limits suspension travel and reduces the independence of each side so the car's body is always being jiggled over bumps.

You really have to question why you're buying a Trophy if you do a lot of motorway miles IMO - they live for corners, and roundabouts in particular. I just cannot help scoot through them conserving as much momentum as possible! :)

tyres pressure changes have sometimes made my car bouncy on the motorway....

Reaction score
Not stiffly sprung? Try pushing the front/back of the car down then, compared to say, a Mondeo or average motorway muncher and considering it weighs fook all.

Reaction score
son of solo said:
i guess whatever car you come from will effect how hard you think the ride is...i had an elise before the trophy so the rides not as harsh to me...(didnt do too many motorway miles though)...the standard head seems fine ,get a mp3 adaptor from e bay like this one for more tunes..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &rd=1&rd=1

Cheers for posting that Ebay link - i was digging about the other day trying to find a similar link that someone posted a while back.

Couple of quick questions... Ours is the 'update list' HU isnt it? Is this a breeze to fit - do you need to take the stock HU out or can you gain access at the back to plug it in?

Reaction score
Yes, it is a Renault Update List, the givaway is the update list writing on the head unit. :lol:

The stereo can be very easily removed by inserting two u-shaped lengths of wire coat hanger into the four holes and pulling it out.