Reaction score
Right well i havnt even bought a clio trophy but judging from the reviews on the morego 202, i plan to do this mod to my Trophy.

Opinions please as i know it is a limited edition model.

Would it affect resale in a bad way?

Also does it need mroe power?

Thanks

Greg

G

You can never have too much power. :mrgreen:

I was wondering about this package too. I remember reading about it in Evo magazine, and seem to recall it was an exhaust, re-map and something else like cams. It does look like quite a good idea, but I couldn't help but think you could just buy all the parts separately and then add them in your own time. You'd also get to choose which brand of exhaust etc you got by doing it that way.

Reaction score
I duno sports air filter, Cat replacement exhaust, High lift cams and Remap. For £1545 and retains warranty.

I reckon it sounds so good.
Although, i dont know how much it costs to buy different manufature equivilants.

They say no more than 200bhp through a front wheeled drive car, so 202 sounds perfect!

Greg

Reaction score
I looked into this before I decided to do it my own way by choosing my own products, I don't doubt their claims, most of the 20bhp increase will be from the re-map and the cams (more the cams) and Evo liked it so it must be good! £1.5K for 20bhp though? That's a lot of tyres and brakes and trackdays!

David87 - I know where you're coming from but I can't agree with you here, the Trophy can handle a fair bit more power but you can have too much, especially in a front-driver, after all you can turbocharge the F4R to 270bhp + and it goes like shit off a teflon shovel but will it still be a great 'driver's car'? I think it'll be a bit of a pig and lose some of it's integrity.

Power in general though? Yes please, I'm saving up for a Caparo, 1400bhp/ton and 0-100 in 5.5 seconds from a naturally aspirated V8, tempted?

G

I was only joking with my power comment - my Focus had far too much. :lol: Unless you like wheelspin. In fourth gear.

I think with an extra 20bhp or so the Trophy would be perfect. But I'm going to invest in a nice shiny Milltek exhaust to go along with my K&N panel filter and leave it at that. 202bhp sounds great, but as you say, that £1,500 spent on trackdays is a whole load more fun than a little extra power! :)

Camparo? Sounds quite good. I'd still take a 997 GT3 RS, though. :p

Reaction score
Modify - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo !!!

If you want a faster car, buy a faster car - simple :wink:

Reaction score
I have seen Clarki posting before that it is not worth modifying, just buy a faster car. He is right to the extent that you can never make a good car out of a bad one; that if you spend too much you will never get your money back and can easily make the car less attractive to most potential buyers.

However as in all things there is an alternative view.

Firstly have any of you ever driven the perfect car – highly unlikely however much you pay; even a semi bespoke Porsche is capable of improvement. Mercedes have learnt this with AMG to the extent that they now own them and the Cooper Works packages carry a full o.e.m guarantee.

Moving onto the more humble end of the market which generally concerns us mere mortals, it is important to bear in mind that after deducting VAT, dealer’s margin, advertising and warranty margins, let alone amortising the development of the car and the production plant and machinery it is probable that the manufactured cost of the Clio is no more than £6,000 – which is actually quite amazing value.

This is for a car that must meet a variety of uses and abuses and cost as little as possible in warranty claims. To do this they build in a large safety margin and make many compromises

All that sensible modification should seek to do is to focus the car more closely to the driver’s requirements and remove the compromises and large safety margins. The result should be a car better suited to the owner’s specific requirements..

Will you find an alternative which gives better results for the same total outlay. In the case of the Clio, if you want to stay n/a, which I do, there are few if any options.

I have modified many road cars over a long period of motoring and have never regretted doing so and more importantly the work has probably made it easier to sell the cars.

The trick is to understand where you perceive the problems to lie and research to find out if there is a cost effective solution.

Reaction score
Good post George.

The question of "will you find an alternative which gives better results for the same total outlay [N/A]" has got me thinking!

O.

Reaction score
Great post George, I was thinking only the other day how much the Trophy must have cost if you consider that most people only paid £13.5K for theres, brand new. That means the dealers must have paid about £10K or £11K for them and they cost, well around about what you said George - £6K.

This is quite incredible really, I mean it's obviously a cheap car in many respects, the interior looks like it cost about a tenner (the seats excluded) but it's still amazing value when you think of the performance compared to much more expensive machinery. That £6K has got to cover the development costs too! Personally I think they got 1100 Sachs units delivered by mistake and thought they would find a home for them quick!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
agree with George, as per usually, back to the question though... I'd say never increase power without a way of controlling it - meaning if you're going to stick 200bhp through the wheels, you'll need some better brakes also, factor in an additional 200-300 pounds for that.

And don't belive the hype - if something goes wrong with the engine and you've had new cams fitted, you may as well take it to BMW for warrenty work as Reno won't touch it.

Reaction score
Cue said:
agree with George, as per usually, back to the question though... I'd say never increase power without a way of controlling it - meaning if you're going to stick 200bhp through the wheels, you'll need some better brakes also, factor in an additional 200-300 pounds for that.

And don't belive the hype - if something goes wrong with the engine and you've had new cams fitted, you may as well take it to BMW for warrenty work as Reno won't touch it.

As a friend of mine recently said "If you want to make a car go faster the 1st thing you do is change the brakes". He prepares rally cars.

Reaction score
It's always a strange one this modification business! I ve always been one for dont waste ya money on mods. However! With the Trophy is differrent for two reasons:

1. For 11k that is my max budget and cant afford anymore for a 55plate car with this performance.

2. Clio engine has more potential! There is more power in there; it simply needs extracting!

Thats my 2 pence!!

G

I like doing odd little bits to cars. I love cars and I don't buy them as investments, so why not? While I won't relish spending £350 on a Milltek exhaust, I know I won't be able to resist it in the end, so I may as well surrender now. :lol:

Reaction score
I ve just spent 550 on my custom one! Manifold match on 31st!

Or and spent 500 on stereo.

Or and 160 on sunglasses to look cool in summer.

Or and 150 on front splitter that I cant fit due to broken hand so will have to pay someone else to do!

Busy seling stuff on ebay now to feed my self till pay day!!!

Reaction score
Just phoned morego. It isnt covered under manufacture warranty, but for £150 a year they cover their parts and anything that renault wont cover due to modifications.
They are charging £1850 in VAT fitted and £1410 inc VAT. £440 for fitting? Reasonable?

I think that modifiying the trophy makes mroe sense than a standard 182 as it already has the suspension that will be able to handle the extra power.

lol I hate the fact that i want this car so badly but i cant afford it yet! :(
Gotta save and save.

Greg

Reaction score
That's life...if I could afford a 599 I wouldn't be driving the Trophy. Well, maybe just when I want to go fast round corners, he he he.

Reaction score
give gdi a ring as they do a manifold match, and that is thing to do.

Or ring round and get prices for parts then ask ben at angelworks to carry out work. Bet it works out cheaper that way.

G

greg131187 said:
lol I hate the fact that i want this car so badly but i cant afford it yet! :(
Gotta save and save.

It'll make getting it even more special, mate. Good luck to ya! :D