BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
How do you know when they are getting ready to be replaced,

Are they any obvious signs that you need to look for

Cheers

Excess movement of the gear stick under hard acceleration and deceleration are a sign that the gearbox mounts are on the way out. You will probably hear a knocking sound from the engine bay under hard acceleration if the engine mount is on its way out. Im not sure how long the standard mounts will last, I uprated mine because they are crap to begin with. It was the visual signs gave it away for me, seeing it on a RR with the bonnet open the amount of movement was crazy.

Reaction score
Mine doesn't look that terrible yet and no knocking but my gearshift gaitor mounts have broken where there is so much movement in the gearshift!

Reaction score
Benmeister said:
keith185 said:
Ben, do you still have these on the Trophy?

if so how are they now 6weeks down the line?

(mine need changing now, can't decide standard or uprated :lol: )

How do you know when they are getting ready to be replaced,

Are they any obvious signs that you need to look for

Cheers

On mive you can see that the rubber on the upper engine is worn and lots of movement when 'rocking' it, andI've got a slight hitting noise when changing gear. :(

Reaction score
Have just ordered the uprated ones from K-tec along with polyurathene dogbone bushes. :D

How are they to fit?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
They are not that difficult to fit. If you can use a set of spanners your more than qualified

First of all put the front of the car on axel stands.

The Upper engine mount is really easy. Unbolt, jack the engine from underneath the car just enough to remove the mount, squeeze the new one in, drop the engine then bolt it in position. (I jacked the engine from the sump with a block of wood between the engine and jack)

The upper Gearbox mount takes a bit more time. Support the gearbox/engine with a trolley jack to take the weight then remove the airbox and battery to gain access to the mount. Once you see it you should know what to do.

The Dog-Bone mount is also pretty straight forward. Once unbolted and removed from the car the old bushes are removed from the 'dog-bone' bracket and replaced with the powerflex bushes. The mount is then just bolted back on.

I had all 3 mounts in position loosely before I tightened them up fully incase I needed to tweek them into position a little.

:)

Reaction score
Just got these fitted (time of escence now with trackday on thursday an s**t weather so booked into loal garage :lol: great excuses :wink: )

Deffinately more vibration resonance o idle, but gearshift feels quite a bit tighter - probably beacuse the original were worn though. No rattling (so far :lol: ) just seems 'rawer' and more volume inside. Just means I have to pres + a bit higher on the little rectangular box in dash :lol: .

Real test will be on thursday when I go on track. I'll reserve a final verdict untill I've don that and a few more miles :D

Reaction score
keith185 said:
Just got these fitted (time of escence now with trackday on thursday an s**t weather so booked into loal garage :lol: great excuses :wink: )

Deffinately more vibration resonance o idle, but gearshift feels quite a bit tighter - probably beacuse the original were worn though. No rattling (so far :lol: ) just seems 'rawer' and more volume inside. Just means I have to pres + a bit higher on the little rectangular box in dash :lol: .

Real test will be on thursday when I go on track. I'll reserve a final verdict untill I've don that and a few more miles :D

Where you off too then ?

Reaction score
keith185 said:
shiftspark said:
Where you off too then ?

Anglesey Circuit :D can't wait, haven't been on track since March - getting withdrawl symptons :lol:
Ah pity it's a bit too far was hoping it was Oulton park as I could have called in for an hour or two.
Anyway enjoy it!

Reaction score
I recently fitted the powerflex dogbone bushes to 084. When fitting the RS192 i noticed an awful lot of movement in the original mount. It wasnt damaged or broken/perished in any way, but i presumed it had been causing the drivetrain shunt i had been noticing i.e. gearlever moving too and fro when coming on and off the throttle whilst in gear. (also when changing gear and gripping the gearknob whilst bringing up the clutch you could feel the engine rocking on it's mounts.)

Anyways i did some research and decidied to buy the powerflex mounts to see if it improved. Well i recon it has reduced the movement by about 80%. A vast improvement. The car now seems so much nicer to drive and changing gear is now a much more refined affair. Maybe the engine movement that is left may shorten the life of the other mounts - or maybe not. But the improvement is worth the small risk imo. Also i have noticed none of the rattles that BenG has encountered - except maybe a bit more shudder at idle. Highly, highly recommended. Pretty easy to fit too, although I have a hydraulic press in the farm workshop so pushing the bushes into the dogbone was much easier!

I was thinking this is maybe a good halfway-house for the guys that were considering full uprated mounts??

This is the cheapest place that i could find - also if you buy, on the checkout page you get money off if you are a member of cliosport- however, it doesnt require you to give any proof, so make sure you check the box regardless!!!

http://www.kamracing.co.uk/renault-clio ... -1475.html

Sorry to rant! 8)

Reaction score
I just want to add that I have recently upgraded the dogbone bushes with poly ones and it does make a huge difference on its own. The engine (and exhaust) are much more solid. The car doesn't judder pulling away either. Only downside is a considerable increase in vibration at idle. The gearshift still feels French though...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
In need of this upgrade following RS Tuner remap and higher rev limit.

Have my exhaust manifold hitting the subframe and think everything is in need of tightening up.

Any preferences over a decent site to source these bushes on the cheap?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
BenG said:
Hey. :D

Ive just had these fitted to the Trophy along with the powerflex dogbone mount.

I decided to buy these mounts because while back I had my car put on the RR and I was shocked by the amount of movement from the Engine under acceleration and when backing off the pedal at high revs. The standard mounts are pretty poor to be honest and flex way too much for my liking. This is my view of the Group N mounts.....

I picked up the car this morning from the garage, Opened the bonet and give the engine a good shake, No movement what-so-ever ! Im actually surprised how solid the group N mounts are.

Got in the car, started her up and initially felt the affects of the mounts. On start up you can feel the engine come to life through the steering wheel and then everything settles down and there is very little vibration through the car just slighly more vibration through the steering wheel.

ok, so I set off and into second and straight away I noticed a difference ! The gear box feels really tight and together when engaging the clutch if that makes sense. Before the mounts were fitted the gear stick used to move quite alot whenever I used to accelerate or back off the pedal and there was a jerkiness from the engine, but that has gone now and the gear stick stays solid. When I let off the pedal there is no jerkiness from the engine or box. Everything feels tight, like it should feel. These mounts do actually make a big difference but is really one of those things that you would need to drive the car with them fitted to understand the benefits. Im glad I got them done.

However ! Due to the mounts being so stiff I have developed a rattle from somewhere in the dash at 3K revs. This is a really annoying rattle which I wont be able to put up with so I will most likely have to remove the dash and do some fault finding when I get the time. But no biggy !

The car feels alot better to drive now. very pleased !

:D
spot on review - identical to my experience when fitting the same mounts... at first i thought, god I've created a monster!

Reaction score
Just fitted the powerflex dogbone mount to my Trophy yesterday and it is soooo much better! A lot more vibration on idle but how long do you idle for when your driving eh? Feels a lot tighter, great tbh!

I had a bit of an episode getting my old bushes out as I do not have the luxuries of a vice. My human ingenuity involved a hammer, hacksaw, a socket, a g clamp, a foot and some cursing

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I had a bit of an episode getting my old bushes out as I do not have the luxuries of a vice. My human ingenuity involved a hammer, hacksaw, a socket, a g clamp, a foot and some cursing

Ha! Well done :)
I had a similar fall out trying to remove an ABS sensor the other day. I can't understand why people think these Clio's are of poor build quality :wink: