Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Just wondering how the trophy compares to the civy type r ep3. Sat in a ep3 yesterday and I was really impressed. I went on fast laps to compare the two and the pre facelift ep3 was faster than a T round Rockingham by 0.4 seconds. But Iknow that fast laps don't mean that much different drivers etc and all that. They are more expensive than a T and they are a different type of car (small family car unlike the supermini T;)) The fifth gear shoot out between the 182 cup and ep3 facelift shows that the type r cant exactly get away from a clio sport.
It would be nice to hear peoples experiences with type r's on the road! :D

Reaction score
ive beat a few in my T. Type r's are mint cars, very fast for their weight but they handle like ice cream vans, my T turns direct like a wasp where as the type r slugs around abit standard, they are mint on coilovers though!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
stock type R's are not as quick, as most will accept who have driven competitivly in both will state the DC2/DC5 were the only honda's in the same performance bracket, the civics don't handle in the same league. I'd be amazed that an unmolested one would keep up with a well driven T net alone be quicker.

Reaction score
My opinion is that the Trophy is quicker in a straight line and around track. The tests done by 5th gear where scripted such as Tiff losing it on the last corner in the 182 vs. CTR. Plus the 182 vs. 200 Cup.

The Trophy is the more raw and focused car of the two. It has been regarded as the best hot hatch ever by various magazines.

I have come across a number of CTRs and always felt that I have had the edge.

Ofcourse, someone with a CTR will say different however I do think its often a case of brand power that determines a lot of peoples choice. The Type R brand says more about performance than Renaultsport and so most people would think it is the faster, better car but this isn't always the case. A bit like a Ferrari vs. Porsche debate.

Let's face it a Renault Clio to most people says nothing about performance.

At the end of the day it is what you want in a car. For me a Trophy is complete whereas a CTR seems half done with the poor steering feel, questionable handling and chassis its main down fall.

Reaction score
Stevie said:
My opinion is that the Trophy is quicker in a straight line and around track.

I disagree. I know I do not own a Trophy, but a 182 with CUP packs & having previously owned a EP3 & DC5 I say there is very little in it until 3 figure speeds between the 192 & EP3, after that both the Honda cars would walk away.
It is the opposite when cornering comes. My EP3 didn't not feel or handle as well as the 182, but the DC5 felt & handled better, albeit it was aftermarket springs & had a TGM Fast Road Set-up.

I'd say the EP3 is a more grown up, better built & more refined car.
The 182/Trophy is a more old skool style hot hatch.

Just my opinion.

Reaction score
^ I agree after around 120mph the CTR is faster and will slowly pull away which is not helped by the long 5th gear in the 182s however before that I believe the Trophy has the edge.

But most of the time it'll be a battle below these speeds and I know I would rather be quicker at lower speeds than higher.

Reaction score
Cue said:
stock type R's are not as quick...the DC2/DC5 were the only honda's in the same performance bracket, the civics don't handle in the same league...

<=== And that one :wink:

Reaction score
duffer987 said:
Cue said:
stock type R's are not as quick...the DC2/DC5 were the only honda's in the same performance bracket, the civics don't handle in the same league...

And yours is? :D a Mugen Si?

Reaction score
mada88 said:
duffer987 said:
Cue said:

And yours is? :D a Mugen Si?

FD2 Type-R Barge :wink:

A group of us can vouch for first hand experience of its awesome sound/performance/ability to appear smaller in tight gaps than you would expect :lol:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
yeh i was reffering to uk cars, that CTR would have the edge...... just (that's only because of the diff also)

Reaction score
What about the EP3 Japan Version? With its xtra power and LSD that must be fast :D

Reaction score
Cue said:
yeh i was reffering to uk cars, that CTR would have the edge...... just (that's only because of the diff also)

Ah well when you mentioned the DC5 I thought that opened up the import route ;-)
When they rejigged Bedford, one of Litchfield's fresh imports edged a fully run in Trophy by an even 3 secs round Bedford West Circuit when Evo ran a bunch of cars on the same day to set new times.

The great thing about the Trophy over the EP3 CTR is that the Trophy is just so good in stock OEM form, where the EP3 does need some fiddling to get it to a similar stage for track and fast road driving. :D

Reaction score
So why bother modding a car when you can just buy a standard trophy :p

Reaction score
I wasn't talking about his civic I was talking about modding cars in general.

Reaction score
mada88 said:
So why bother modding a car when you can just buy a standard trophy :p

Exactly! I'm Johnny OEM and don't have a clue when it comes to modding a car, but when it comes to Honda v Reno, a lot of people dismiss Reno by rote for all those Frenchist stereotypes and are backed up by all the positive Japanese stereotypes (mainly talking reliability and dealer network).

In fairness when I went to a couple Hondas on Track days with my Trophy last year they were all well impressed with the Trophy and will readily admit the EP3 needs fiddling to get to that point it can be considered an equivalent driver's car. Then some people really like putting their personal stamp on their motor and will mod whatever they have.

Horses for courses and all that :D

Reaction score
Trophy No.
As much as I love my mildly modified Trophy, my partners CTR is still the quicker car. And it certainly doesn't handle like an ice cream van! It might be less chuckable in the corners and it's a more difficult car to drive quickly... but it's very rewarding once you get to grips with it. I'm not saying anymore as this discussion as been done to death ad infinitum...

Reaction score
lol at this thread.. how many of those who have commented on this thread have drive both cars back to back for sometime? I have :wink:

I have said countless times both cars are great cars and I dont think one is better then the other, they are just both different.

Stevie said:
My opinion is that the Trophy is quicker in a straight line and around track. The tests done by 5th gear where scripted such as Tiff losing it on the last corner in the 182 vs. CTR. Plus the 182 vs. 200 Cup.

I have come across a number of CTRs and always felt that I have had the edge.

Of course, someone with a CTR will say different however I do think its often a case of brand power that determines a lot of peoples choice. The Type R brand says more about performance than Renaultsport and so most people would think it is the faster, better car but this isn't always the case. A bit like a Ferrari vs. Porsche debate.

Sorry Steve but you are wrong there the CTR is quicker in a straight line that is a fact as much as I would love to say the Trophy is quicker it isnt..

As for coming across a number of CTRs and always feeling you have the edge.. tut tut I didnt think you should be racing on the track or street :p and who's to say they are trying, or maybe your the better driver :wink: who knows.

Whoever said the CTR handles like an ice-cream van clearly doesnt know how to drive the car either that or they have never driven one and if they want to see how the CTR handles I'll happily take you for a spin :D

I have a CTR but that doesnt mean to say I wouldnt say another car is better.. Both cars are fantastic cars they just have different driving styles.

It all depends on what you like and what your driving style is like to which is best for you