Reaction score
Afaik cup and non cup are same price from renault wolverhampton. Around £37.50 each.

before getting too worked up question really is..Are Sachs dampers possibly actually softer than cup ones? Hence the non cup selection. It's all about the intended balance at the end of the day.

with pinned Sachs fronts and yellow eibach springs front and cup springs rear... What are Sachs rear dampers to the package?

or it could be some muppet at renault has just picked the first on the shock list.

Reaction score
I have standard koni adjustable on mine and I love them, my originals are now boxed in my garage, i would either get standard koni's, revalved koni's or try your hardest to get the original sach ones.

Reaction score
There's a picture of my old ones vs the new konis, i kept them to do exactly that, a refurbish on the rears should be possible but people probably haven't done it as a refub would probably cost the same if not more then what they are worth brand new. But soon we won't have any other option other than to do that :/.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-11-10-01-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-02-11-10-01-04.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_2015-02-11-10-01-10.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-02-11-10-01-10.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_2015-02-11-15-03-22.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-02-11-15-03-22.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 18

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I wonder if BG Motorsport will now consider rebuilding the rear dampers, too?

i have just spent 10/15mins on the phone with Ben and these are a sealed unit.
ben has suggested buying the unit that Renault supply and sending it to him to do a damper test and he can see the results against the Sachs rears.
if you want rear ohlins from BG you are looking at around £350+ vat a side.

Ben also spoke to me regarding koni rears and why I should possibly stay away from them.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Remember a few years back now I found some on Parts Reunited.com which searches all dealers for redundant stock. Bagged a pair for around £100 delivered if my memory serves me correctly.

worth a punt.

Reaction score
i have just spent 10/15mins on the phone with Ben and these are a sealed unit.
ben has suggested buying the unit that Renault supply and sending it to him to do a damper test and he can see the results against the Sachs rears.
if you want rear ohlins from BG you are looking at around £350+ vat a side.

Ben also spoke to me regarding koni rears and why I should possibly stay away from them.

That's not good news. I'm sure i'd heard they could do them.....

Anyway, care to elaborate on the last point re. the Koni's?

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Ben said that there is no way these can be done as they are clamped closed so if you broke them open there was no way of sealing them again and that they have always been an unserviceable part.

Ben from BG also said that its a shame as these where made to match the front sachs and the only way he could get anything to match the damping curve would to to dyno test something and then match it with the sachs specs hence why he advised that i bought the new renault superseded part and sent it down to him for testing to see if it matched the sachs or how poor the new shock will be against the sachs unit.

I then proceeded to ask ben about a set of good Ohlins as they are also an official ohlins dealer and he then came back and said that for one rear shock made to match the sachs i would be looking at a starting price of £350+ vat for each one and this is when i brought up the rear Koni shocks and ben did mention a few things which i am not going to plaster over car forums to upset people who have spent the money on them or for people who view the forums that sell them (the Konis)

if anyone wants to know more you can drop me a PM or better still give BG a call and ask to speak to ben regarding the rear shocks and about the refurbishment on them along with the koni upgrade

Last edited:

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Update -

sent an e-mail to a contact at Sachs ZF Motorsport in Germany who has now reply and looking into this.
i have all the e-mails and information.

i once again received an e-mail last night at 7.18pm from some sort of manager / PA to the managing director of RUK regarding this and they will be calling me I'm due course so I will await that phone call

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Update No 2 -

I got a personal e-mail today from the Managing Director Of RUK and I'm also now in talks with the Services and Quality Director at RUK.

There has been a few e-mails being pinged back and forth so here is hoping they still might manage to get these rear shocks

Reaction score
Sounds positive Marc. I'm definitely interested in some of these too.

Hopefully they will understand and acknowledge that these are important to keeping the integrity of what is one of the most iconic of hot hatches.

Reaction score
Sounds promising.
I would certainly buy the revalved Koni's again if I needed more. I always got the impression the cup ones were never very reliable. My MF Koni's have been on my car for 6 years and seem to compliment the Sachs. If you adjust the fronts then it's a no brainer.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I can only wait and see what next week brings. Hoping there is some answers and soon.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I have just had a phone call from Renault UK and I can not yet 100% confirm this but I have been given an update that looks like it's going to be very good news

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
As said nothing is 100% confirmed but i was told that my shocks are going into production and will be a 12/14 week wait on them but to be 100% sure they are contacting france again to make sure its the sachs.

I will let everyone see the e-mail once it arrives this week